AIC - !!! Scary

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5613 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I thought I'd start my own thread so as not to get confused with others.

I've read through alot of the others regarding AIC and just cannot believe I'm not the only one!

I had my debt with Lloyds TSB initially, this has been going on for a number of years (I'm not proud of this but at least I came to an agreement with them and was paying it) I then fell pregnant 7 years ago and was in complete contact with them, I believe the debt got passed onto BLS Collections at this point.

During all that contact, agreements were made and the people there were nice! I've been maintaining that payment ever since.

I've had another baby since then and moved house (I've kept in contact with them and gave them my new address) at the end of last year I missed a couple of payments but doubled them up (I hold my hands up to this, I do, and I dont feel too good about it as it is)

Anyways, I got a yellow slip through my door with the amount of credit owed (£5.5k), no name of company just a phone number!!!!

I rang them straight away, this is when I learned the company was AIC and a lady told me its because I had defaulted on my payments etc, she advised me that she would send a financial statement out to me to fill out and that I should also send a cheque offering my first payment.

I did this!! (Only because I went through all this before years ago and thought I was doing the right thing!)

I sent the financial statement, cheque and copy of their letter to them.

They cashed the cheque! Still heard nothing from them.

On the 16th June I rang them again asking why I had heard nothing from them, the guy on the letter answered my call as if he was at home!! told me to 'wait a minute' and then hung up on me.

I rang back again and got through to someone else, who stated that they had recvd nothing from me, I called him a liar as they had cashed my cheque so therefore they have! He then stated that 'oh yes we got that, the paperwork must be lost' I asked what was going to be done about that!! and his reply was 'Well you will have to resend the financial statement details again'

I told him it was disgusting how they were treating me, I had left numerous voice messages and no one gets backs to me, at that point he hung up on me. So I rang back and said what did you do that for, and his reply no you did that!!! nightmare

So the end of that conversation was that he was going to send the paperwork out again to me!!!!!! and that i must continue to make the monthly payment (to show that I am trying!!) that I've stated I can make.

I then recvd a letter dated 11 June, a scary one (I cried alot - I'm a woman typing this by the way - lol) stating that I had to make the final payment bla bla bla - you know the deal.

I again them straight away 26th June, spoke to someone different again, who was the most rude person I have yet spoken too. This is what he said to me.

'We are not going to send you any paperwork out because you have lost that privelage by defaulting!'

I couldnt believe it, so I explained all of the above and said to him

'So I have been told mis information, I have been mis led and whats going to be done about those people that have told me wrong information'

his reply

'Its nothing to do with those people, if you'd made your payment you wouldnt be in this situation would you!'

so i said 'so because I cocked up a couple of times out of over 7 years, you can tell me what the hell you like and get away with talking to me like this!!!'

I was beside myself..

The end of that call was that they were going to be contacting Lloyds TSB as to what to do next, he also asked my income ( I told him, its practically nothing as I'm a SAHM now) then he asked for my partners details and I said no, and he said because he's my husband its now his debt!!! I said luckily he hasnt asked me to marry him then aint it (he didnt find that funny!)

Anyways this guy said that I would be contacted once they had spoken to Lloyds TSB, this morning I got a letter and couldnt believe it, dated 30th June (4 days after I spoke to him and remembering that each letter I get has a different name on it - but it was actually his)

Stating that I have made contact with them, bla bla bla you know the one!

So after telling you my AIC lifestory, hope I havent bored you too much, I' going to go down the CCA letter route, I'm going to send this to AIC and BLS Collections and Lloyds TSB!

Whilst I wait for the 12 days I'm just a worry wort am I going to get in any further trouble.

I have offered to make this company payments and they are refusing to even listen to me! ( I thought that was against the law itself to refuse a payment)

Sorry I'll stop now xx thank you

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and Welcome, anxious.

The first thing to remember is 'never speak to these people on the phone' ;)

Total waste of time.

Your right going down the CCA route, they must prove to you they have the right to collect this 'alleged' debt.

Letter 'N' in the library.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Send it with a £1 Postal Order and send it recorded and please don't sign it :)

I'm going to move your thread to the Debt Collectors Industry Forum, you'll get all the help you need in there.

Try not to let them get to you, (I know that's easy for me to say) but until they come up with your CCA, there's nothing they can do.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi anxious,

Welcome to CAG ;-)

I`m having dealings with Lloyds TSB myself and BLS at the moment, so I`ve subscribbed to your thread with great interest.

As maroondevo52 says, don`t let them get to you, they are in the business of terrorising people.

As well as a CCA request, you should also send them a Telephone Harrassment letter and request all communications be only in writing. Never deal with these empty heads on the phone, as you have found out, they will tell you any old BS to get you to pay something.

You have not mentioned what this debt is for. Is is a loan, Credit Card, overdraft etc?

Stick with CAG who will keep you right, and once those bum banging morons realise you know the score they will back off. We have ALL been through it.

I myself received a stupid little post card through my door reading `Hi N.P, can you give me a call on blah blah, Cheers STEVIE`

Now, I don`t know anyone called STEVIE, and I`m certainly not going to ring him up simply because he sent me a silly little card asking me to. There was a tiny little address on the bottom corner with AIC on. I still don`t know what the hell they wanted.

Regards

N.P

If I have helped or made you laugh in any way in your hour of need, then please click my scales <<<<<<<<<< ;)

Hi NP

thanks for your reply

the debt initially was for a motorbike so it was a loan, which basically got out of hand, thanks to been a young girlie and not paying much attention to it all the bank just kept adding to it!! and it got too much..

To be honest, they dont ring me, AT ALL. They've never returned my calls and when I do get hold of them, as I wrote - they are horrible and I mean really horrible.

I know I have to pay it, fair enough but to not even listen to me and say they wont accept a payment surely is wrong!!! isnt it! I thought it was.

I am posting everything tomorrow so I'll post as things happen.

I just want to pay monthly like I was before!

I'm also writing a complaints letter to BLS so I'll see how that goes too.

Keep you posted x

NEVEr speak to them on the phone, sweetie - get a nice papertrail going.

Even if they can produce the CCA, I can almost guarantee that some hefty charges have been added to the account - try not to be too anxious and let us know how things develop and if you need anymore help/support.

Tigs xxx

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

I'm certain it was just a yellow slip of paper, because I was in shock as it had the amount I owed my name and address on it.

Worst thing is, I keep everything! and I cant find the darn thing!!! typical isnt it - I'm certain it didnt come in an envelope cause I said to my partner that it looked like junk mail and I would have easily just thrown it away!!!

Thanks again for your replies, I will keep you posted.

I'm slowly going through the forum to find out what to do after the CCA request.

Its just getting a deal done with them really I suppose - but they are the most horrible people I've had to deal with - ever - :( x

You can always post back on this thread when (or if) they come back with anything.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

I'm certain it was just a yellow slip of paper, because I was in shock as it had the amount I owed my name and address on it.

Worst thing is, I keep everything! and I cant find the darn thing!!! typical isnt it - I'm certain it didnt come in an envelope cause I said to my partner that it looked like junk mail and I would have easily just thrown it away!!!

Thanks again for your replies, I will keep you posted.

I'm slowly going through the forum to find out what to do after the CCA request.

Its just getting a deal done with them really I suppose - but they are the most horrible people I've had to deal with - ever - :( x

You haven't dealt with Moorcroft or Cabot then :p

Jogs

Report them to Trading Standards and the OFT for breaching OFT guidlines:

Physical/psychological harassment

2.5 Putting pressure on debtors or third parties is considered to be oppressive.

2.6 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

a. contacting debtors at unreasonable times and at unreasonable intervals

b. pressurising debtors to sell property, to raise funds by further

borrowing or to extend their borrowing

c. using more than one debt collection business at the same time

resulting in repetitive and/or frequent contact by different parties

d. not ensuring that an adequate history of the debt is passed on as

appropriate resulting in repetitive and/or frequent contact by different

parties

e. not informing the debtor when their case has been passed on to a

different debt collector

f. pressurising debtors to pay in full, in unreasonably large instalments,

or to increase payments when they are unable to do so

g. making threatening statements or gestures or taking actions which

suggest harm to debtors

h. ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are

disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment

i. disclosing or threatening to disclose debt details to third parties unless

legally entitled to do so

j. acting in a way likely to be publicly embarrassing to the debtor either

deliberately or through lack of care, for example, by not putting

correspondence in a sealed envelope and putting it through a letterbox,

thereby running the risk that it could be read by third parties.

When you make your complaint, also quote the CPUTR 2008.

Hi Anxious, am subbing too.

I have had the pleasure of dealing with these muppets on the phone too (on behalf of client) and I swear the guy was eating a sandwich while on the phone to me, they were pathetic.

Please don't let them worry you too much - they are very good at trying to frighten folk into paying a debt that, if challenged, they know they could never enforce. Going by the OTT tactics used so far that sounds about right.

BTW, after speaking to them on the phone we nicknamed them Rab C Nesbitt debt collectors hehe - kind've spot on, eh?

Good luck :)

Dipply75

I am in no way a legal advisor and only speak from my own experiences and the helpful advice of those in the same boat! :p

update - 6.20pm this evening (7th july) wow this is like a diary lol

Mr Woods actually called me back! He said you rang and left a message, and I said yes I did - a few days ago!

He asked what the problem was, and all I said was (as I know that you guys told me not to get into a conversation on the phone with them) - god I'm actually shaking!! lol -

all i said was 'yes i spoke to you, you said you would contact lloyds as a way to deal with this and two days later i get a letter stating about you trying to claim for my house!!! so i just wanted to know how you can contact lloyds in two days and come up with that letter!'

he said 'no miss **** I told you I would contact lloyds as you are not prepared to pay the bill in full!!!!!!!!!!'

I said 'you did not say that'

and then i felt that he threatened me because he said all calls are recorded so i know what i said

so i said if thats the case, i would like a copy of that tape - because what you've just said is untrue and from now on i will only deal with you in writing!!! and i hung up!!!!!!!!!

shaking shaking shaking -

all i want to do is pay monthly because thats all i can do!!!

and these people just wont listen to me

apart from sending my CCA tomorrow (was gonna do it today but my partner is currently up A&E!!! ill - so got normal life going on too) im going to pop into the Citizens advice and see what they can do to help me too.

Really appreciate everyones help on here so much :-)

anxiously smiling!! lol x

Hi Anxios,

Your talking to them FAR TOO MUCH! Your playing into their horrible, sweaty hands.

Why are you shaking? They`re only people, all be it, sad people, with empty heads.

DO NOT SPEAK TO THEM ON THE PHONE!

Send off your CCA and wait to see what they send back/

That`s all we can say really.

The Citizens Advice will probably be less helpful than CAG.

If they ring you again, tell them EXACTLY where to go, and hang up.

If they keep ringing you, send them a very strong Telephone Harassment Letter.

Regards

N.P

• Haha 1

If I have helped or made you laugh in any way in your hour of need, then please click my scales <<<<<<<<<< ;)

Here's one I pinched earlier from DMD ;)

- HARASSMENT WARNING -

WARNING; PROTECTION FROM HARASSMENT ACT 1997;

WARNING; COMMUNICATIONS ACT 2003. s127.

Telephone Number: {Your Telephone Number}

Re: Harassment by telephone

Dear Sir/Madam.

I am writing in relation to telephone calls that I have received from your organisation, which I deem to be personally harassing. I have verbally requested that these calls stop, but I am still receiving call. I now require the telephone number listed above to be completely removed from your systems.

I am in the view that your continued telephone calls put you in breach of the Protection of Harassment Act 1997.

This is a private telephone line, operated on a contract with the intention of receiving and making personal phone calls, I have not authorised any other member of my family to receive calls from your organisation using this PRIVATE TELEPHONE LINE.

By using this telephone number without my permission you are interferring with my ability to use my own private property for the duration of any call.

It is my right to require that this telephone line, which is licenced solely to myself, is kept clear for my own personal calls.

It is consquently my view that you are commiting the tort of interference with contract insofar as for the duration of each call you make to me without my permission, you are interfering with my contractual right to receive and make personal calls on my private telephone line.

Continued interference with my contractual rights in this manner may result in legal action.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to the Office of Communications, Trading Standards and the Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you may be liable for a substantial fine.

Be advised that all telephone calls from your company will be recorded.

Yours faithfully,

Hi Anxious, please trust what everyone is telling you - send that letter ansit back, let them see what documents they can supply. If they phone either hang up straight away or just put the phone down beside the tv, go have a cuppa or something until they get bored and send babybears letter.

I truly understand that urge to argue with them and want to make them admit they are wrong/at it - but please resist, they will just wind you up.

if you do visit the CAB, please do not let them try and negotiate payments with these muppets before receiving your CCA & statements. You really want to be sure AIC are even legally entitled to collect this debt and not just chancing it.......like you say, how could they contact Lloyds and write in 2 days.

Sit tight, we're all right behind you!

Dipply75

I am in no way a legal advisor and only speak from my own experiences and the helpful advice of those in the same boat! :p

Here's one I pinched earlier from DMD ;)

- HARASSMENT WARNING -

WARNING; PROTECTION FROM HARASSMENT ACT 1997;

WARNING; COMMUNICATIONS ACT 2003. s127.

Telephone Number: {Your Telephone Number}

Re: Harassment by telephone

Dear Sir/Madam.

I am writing in relation to telephone calls that I have received from your organisation, which I deem to be personally harassing. I have verbally requested that these calls stop, but I am still receiving call. I now require the telephone number listed above to be completely removed from your systems.

I am in the view that your continued telephone calls put you in breach of the Protection of Harassment Act 1997.

This is a private telephone line, operated on a contract with the intention of receiving and making personal phone calls, I have not authorised any other member of my family to receive calls from your organisation using this PRIVATE TELEPHONE LINE.

By using this telephone number without my permission you are interferring with my ability to use my own private property for the duration of any call.

It is my right to require that this telephone line, which is licenced solely to myself, is kept clear for my own personal calls.

It is consquently my view that you are commiting the tort of interference with contract insofar as for the duration of each call you make to me without my permission, you are interfering with my contractual right to receive and make personal calls on my private telephone line.

Continued interference with my contractual rights in this manner may result in legal action.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to the Office of Communications, Trading Standards and the Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you may be liable for a substantial fine.

Be advised that all telephone calls from your company will be recorded.

Yours faithfully,

Hi all,

babybear, I think I`ll snaffle a copy of this one. This is quite a good variation of the trusty old TH letter. I`ve never seen a version stating the line as private property, which it is of course, but to BT, on lease to us, not to empty heads ;-)

Anxious, do as your told and stop entertaining these moronic bot splats. They will tell you anything you want to here because simply there are after your money! PERIOD!

N.P

Right an update, I sent my CCA request and the royal mail website shows it was delived from their glasgow delivery office on 11th July 2008, so I assume someone has signed for it then.

So they now have 12 working days right? so that will be 29th July (exc weekends)

I'll let you know if I hear anything and then what to do next!

Sorry to seemingly jump on the band wagon here, i had the same yellow slip rom AIC delivered to my house, and can confirm that it was indeed delivered without an envelope. Having said that, i sent them a letter asking for the alleged debt to be verified and have not heard anything. It has been nearly 2 months i rang and the wouldnt speak to me, saying they would only deal with me via written correspondence go figure.

its ridiculous isnt it they near on scare you half to death (in my case) and then when you take the lead, they go and hide

all i want to do, is continue to make my payment, thats not too much to ask is it!!! and these guys are a joke.

I have a family to consider here and they cant get anymore out of me from what i was paying before!!!

i will update as soon as the 12 days is up and go from there. meanwhile im not making any payments at all!!! which bothers me more than anything, because of a stupid relapse on my part last year i missed 2 or 3 payments out of 7 years!!!! and now im been treated like this!!! :-x

Hi axious,

These people (for want of a better word) don`t care about you or your situation. Your just a piece of **** who owe`s them money in their eyes, and nothing more.

Do not play ball with these knob jockeys. Wait for the outcome of your CCA request before your next move. If they don`t comply, don`t pay them anything!

They may even ring you to discuss your recent CCA request. Tell them everything in writing, then hang up. If they ring back, tell them to FO! (The full version of course) then hang up. Follow that up with a letter!

Regards

N.P

• Haha 1

its ridiculous isnt it they near on scare you half to death (in my case) and then when you take the lead, they go and hide

all i want to do, is continue to make my payment, thats not too much to ask is it!!! and these guys are a joke.

I have a family to consider here and they cant get anymore out of me from what i was paying before!!!

i will update as soon as the 12 days is up and go from there. meanwhile im not making any payments at all!!! which bothers me more than anything, because of a stupid relapse on my part last year i missed 2 or 3 payments out of 7 years!!!! and now im been treated like this!!! :-x

This is exactly why you should stop paying them altogether - the DCA's are never grateful/happy no matter what.

So stop paying them, save your money - demand that they take you to court & watch them vanish from your life in an instant ;)

Guest forgottenone

Everyone else has said what needs to be at this point ... but one thing, as it may help anyone else new to CAG, not familiar with procedure eg 'DCA said I had to complete this' when you don't. That being, don't fill another financial statement in provided to you by a creditor or DCA. Not just for this debt, but for any other you may have. This is because, and I had this advice from a debt charity when I told them of my own problems in this direction so merely passing it on, they are not prepared mostly to guidelines eg BBA/MAT and what is allowed for income/expenditure eg priority debts. They will prioritize what THEY think you can afford from whatever income you have on the form.

Also, for future reference, if they ever ask you to provide them with bank statements, wages, proof of benefit ... big no to that. They aren't allowed, even though they will kid you and say you are wrong. And are requesting information they know they aren't allowed to request, outside their remit. Again, they are just looking for any other income they can get their evil little grubby fingers on. Been there done that. In the same regard, do't let them have any of your debit or credit card details. They will simply take and misuse those eg take the balance.

And, as a few here have said - no phone contact. If none of this has been helpful or if you were already aware of it please ignore.

Lastly, please be aware as others have said here ... these people are, although they seem to be idiots on the phone, know exactly what they are doing.

You do not have to speak to them on the phone. Don't even answer if you know it's them. That will remove their one weapon, lever over your life.

Tell them everything in writing, then hang up. If they ring back, tell them to FO!

Tell them to Financial Ombudsman? I don't understand NP, I really don't understand. Personally I'd tell them to go forth and multiply.

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

Fred, don't think FO means Financial Ombudsman ;)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert