New subscriber

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6601 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just heard about this site through Martin's moneysavingexpert.

I'm going to give this a try with the Halifax. I very nervous about this but what the hell :twisted:

I have not used my account for at least a year, and believe through the FAQ's I can still do this.

If i'm wrong please someone stop me. :?

Also can you advise.

The bank have taken a sum of money out of my sons account due to insufficient funds in my account.

Can I put this into concideration with my repayment request to the bank?

Also can you advise.

The bank have taken a sum of money out of my sons account due to insufficient funds in my account.

Can I put this into concideration with my repayment request to the bank?

What?????

Explain, please.

I had a halifax credit card which there was insufficient funds in my current account to pay the minimum monthly paymenton the card.

As am a signatory on my son's account as he is a minor they took the money from his account.

I did challenge this at the time but they said that they were allowed to do this. Apparently they can search through the accounts to which I have access too and take money from that account.

that is appalling!!!! surely that can't be right??!!! :evil:

Halifax - DPA sent 03/03/06.

Prelim Letter - Sent 27/03/06 ignored.

LBA sent 10/04/06 - Ignored

Moneyclaim filed - 26.04.06

Acknowledgement received 3rd May. Halifax state they intend to defend.

Halifax Settled in Full - 17 May 2006

If you've found this post helpful, I would be grateful if you could click on the 'Scales of Justice' button in the top right corner of this post.

I think that you need to see the T&Cs of his account urgently. It sounds scandalous. Isn't there some special tax status attaching to these minor's accounts?

You must be a trustee of the account. I can't see that they can be allowed to go in and loot your son's account.

T&Cs

T&Cs first - then let's see. If there is nothing n the T&Cs then you can sort it out

what would you do if I stole money from your account? - Right - you would go to the police - if there is nothing in the T&C's that said they could do this that is exactly where I would start, then on the the press etc etc etc :evil:

Let's get all the facts first.

Halifax - DPA sent 03/03/06.

Prelim Letter - Sent 27/03/06 ignored.

LBA sent 10/04/06 - Ignored

Moneyclaim filed - 26.04.06

Acknowledgement received 3rd May. Halifax state they intend to defend.

Halifax Settled in Full - 17 May 2006

If you've found this post helpful, I would be grateful if you could click on the 'Scales of Justice' button in the top right corner of this post.

Due to the hour of work of both me and mt partner I find it difficult to actually get to branch during opening times to get the T&C's. I will let you know when I've got them and what they say.

Thanks again for your help. Brilliant site the banks deserve everything they get as they don't seem to live in the real world.

I had a halifax credit card which there was insufficient funds in my current account to pay the minimum monthly paymenton the card.

As am a signatory on my son's account as he is a minor they took the money from his account.

I did challenge this at the time but they said that they were allowed to do this. Apparently they can search through the accounts to which I have access too and take money from that account.

I had a similar problem with the Halifax. My wife has a current account with the Halifax and last year she was extremely ill and had been off work for 10 months, earning just statutory sick pay of about £50 per week. Her account went significantly overdrawn and was suspended pending receipt of funds. We also have a joint account with the Halifax where my salary was paid. Whilst I was out of the country on business and without any warning whatsoever the Halifax suspended my account even though it was in credit. This resulted in almost £100 worth of International mobile telephone calls to try and resolve the situation. I was told that they can suspend any account to which my wife has access in order to restore her account to order.

Their actions, without any warning, resulted in substantial cost to myself and left me out of the country with absolutely no access to cash whatsoever for 3 days. All of this because my wife's account, had exceeded her overdraft facility by £250.

So much for helpful responsible banking.

I think that there is a right within banking custom and practice to combine accounts.

johncbaker's story is a little different.

It seems to me that a safer way to conduct is joint account is to have a single account holder but get the other party a thirdparty authority.

This means that there is no joint and several liablity for the account.

The bank might not agree to this if they understood why this was being done.

However, I don't think that it would occur to them.

Take it to the branch get a receipt or the name of the person who takes it..

Or else special delivery.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is relevant to the site but can someone advise on another thing that bank has done.

I got a call form the Halifax last night stating that the debt collection company I have been paying for the last 2 years have go into liquidation. they have not receive any payments from the company over the past 2 years therefore i'm liable for that money.

I believe that as they employed that company to collect the payments they should be suing them. am I wrong?

Not having much luck with the halifax at the moment what with taking money out of my sons account.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6601 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks