Maternity Leave - Benefit Help!!

Sarah Frost

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4923 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Im new here so would really appreciate some help.

Im 22 weeks pregnant and due to go on Maternity Leave early October. Ill be getting the standard maternity money - 6 weeks paid @ 90% and then 33 weeks paid at £117.18 per week. So by christmas ill only be bringing home £400 a month in maternity money!

My partner works full-time and we live together as a married couple I suppose. Ill be getting Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit but would like some advice on the following:

• Will we be entitled to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit? Ive read that they pay out to low income families but I wasnt sure if they classed Maternity Leave as low income or not?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me on what I can/cant claim whilst im pregnant/on mat leave. Just in case you need to know - after the 33 weeks I WONT be returning to work.

Thanks

Housing benefit depends on your rent, combined income, and family circumstances. CT benefit is similar.

http://entitledto.com should tell you.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

When my brothers partner left on maternity they got pretty much what you have already listed. I didnt think maternity triggered housing and council tax benefit it you have a full time partner in full time employment. I appreciate your income will be lower and its probably concerning you at the moment but I would have thought any increases after maternity leave would be in the form of an increase if necesary based on husbands earnings related tax credits. Child benefit will be a good help with necessary baby bits. I am no expert as I say my brother didnt get anything extra as he had a basic yet average wage comparable with minimum benefits to live on. There not rich but the baby is adorable and he says worth the drop in income of his wife. Best wishes.

No harm in ringing cab to ask though!:)

If it's not too late:

Maternitily Allaowance itself a low income and can make you entitled for Housing Benefit. But as your partner is working his income will be included in the HB calculation. Depends how much your partner is earning. I can see Nil entitlement for Council Tax Benefit but yes for Housing benefit ask your local CAB for calculation.

But dont worry if you CAB advisor tells your HB entitlement is zero you can get Working tax Credit with Child Tax credit after baby's birth on the basis that your husband is working full time. (Depends if he's not highly paid)

All the best.

:-|Impossible is I'M Possible:lol:

If you think the advice given is useful then show your appreciation by clicking on the scales.

• 4 weeks later...

Dependant on income (below £15575.00)there is also the Sure Start Maternity Grant worth £500 and Healthy Start Vouchers which can be exchanged for milk, fruit, veg ect..... also when it comes to estimating your income for Tax credit purposes you are allowed to deduct £100.00 per week off your income for every week you have been on maternity leave.

Capitalism is the legitimate racket

of the ruling class.

Al Capone