Newcomer - this is my story

jib_jibber
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5771 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have been a visitor to this site on or off for the past year or so.

I have always intended to reclaim my bank charges but through sheer lazyness i have never got round to doing it!

About a year ago after being told by Abbey that they would not continue the overdraft on my current account, i decided to open a current account with my mortgage company - Halifax - They were very nice and assured me that my direct debits etc would be transferred automatically.

I cancelled the overdraft facility on my Abbey account, left my account with a nil balance and arranged for my wages to be paid into my new Halifax account.

A month or so later i had over a dozen letters from Abbey saying that i had insufficient funds and they would be charging me £30 for each unpaid direct debit.

Initially i phoned halifax to ask what was going on after being promised that the direct debits etc would be taken care of - to which they basically replied that Abbey had been "dragging their heels" in releasing the information.

I then phoned Abbey - told them what had happened and said that i would not pay what i thought were unfair charges and if they continued to send me letters i would look into reclaiming all bank charges over the last 6 years.

i heard nothing from abbey for the next couple of months until i recieved a letter from debt management company asking for £700 basically saying unless they recieved payment they would issue court proceedings - i explained to them that it was a disputed account and that there wasnt a debt but they insisted that it was not their problem and that i had to pay.

Reluctantly, i paid (not wanting to damage my credit file) and decided to recoup the money by reclaiming my bank charges in the future.

I recently obtained a Credit report from Experian and have found that i have a Default on my account from Abbey in the sum of £700 marked as Settled. I will be renewing my mortgage soon and could do with sorting this mess out.

Has anybody got any tips/helpful links on where to start? any assistance at all would be appriciated.

Many Thanks