Experian & Lowell an inconvient partnership

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've decided to start clearing my credit file of inaccuracies and applied for a copy from Experian (will go for this one first).

A very brief history, 4 CCA requests sent over the last year none have returned any of the requested and all i believe have placed defaults.

After applying to Experian they sent me a letter requiring I validate my address and provide ID in the way of a passport / birth cert. I'm not surprised about the address I've not long moved and not been placed on the Electoral Register yet although i did give all of my last addresses etc.

The same day as the letter arrives another company lowell (i believe a DCA) sent me a letter saying they had been provided my address from Experian and i needed to contact them asap.

This seems like madness to me Experian are willing to give out a new address and yet won't give me a credit file as i need to 'validate it'? I'm only glad i didn't put my phone number on the application form otherwise no doubt my house would transform into a BT switchboard.

Anyhow is this worth a complaint or is it just typical and best to forget?

Once the files arrive (haven't sent the ID off yet) I'll keep you upto date on my progress; have never done anything like this before so am kind of nervous but we shall see.

I can't believe that Experian gave your address to Lowells as surely this must constitute a breach of the Data Protection Act :eek:

Data Protection Act 1998 (c. 29)

In your position, I would certainly make a formal complaint to Experian and make sure you quote the DPA in your letter.

Good luck with it :)

Just goes to show how the CRAs are working hand in hand with their best buddies in DCA land. This is at best an icestuous relationship and at worst a flagrant breach of the Data protection Act. Its high time this sordid business was criminalised and punished for the untold hurt they have caused to thousands by their actions.

Thanks for your replys

i was also shocked the letter from Lowell's actually states 'We are writing to you with the regards to the address outlined above which was provided to us by Experian the UKs largest Credit Reference Agency... Experian hold information on over 43 million UK consumers... They have informed us that you previously resided at xxxxx and we need to validate this information'.

It then gives there 0800 number to call which I certainly shall not be doing... I have no idea what these chaps actually want and verbally at least i'm not willing to find out.

I will draft a complaint letter tommorow and post it here for comments before i send it.

The battles begun and I haven't even received my Credit File yet but still I've been reading some of the other threads here and do not feel in the slightest nervous any more.

Not so long ago we were in very bad financial shape and some of the companies (MBNA in particular) would not only listen to my solutions they snubbed them at every oppourtunity at one point even claiming that i was being a criminal as i couldn't make the minimum payment. Move forward and things are better however i won't be subject to that again and certainly not through applying for my file from experian.

the reason i'm debt is because of this charges, i think its time i sorted out so hopfully you can help me do that

Can you give some more details:confused: