FOS Abbey hardship claim

poppynurse
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5648 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm amazed, the FOS and Abbey have finally accepted that we are suffering significant financial hardship - WOW!!!!!

My claim for £3k ish was stayed last July days before the hearing and Abbey have piled on the charges ever since.

I have repeatedly refused to discuss the matter via the telephone and asked for all correspondence to be in writing but now the bl**dy FOS have written and told me that I have to talk to Abbey's collections and recoveries department by telephone 'to identify the correct assistance to offer as to do this in writing would be overly lengthy and impractical'. The FOS 'expect you (me) to cooperate in this regard'.

I don't want to talk to the bl**dy bank - do I have a choice......

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

This is a bit of a reversal to what i have come across (With Nationwide/HSBC) anyway.

I told them about "hardship" caused by charges due to my financial position/health etc - provided medical evidence. They totally ignored the letters; and i have thus had to complain to the FOS. (Still awaiting response)

In your case i would suggest

A) Talk to them but prepare with some notes on the line of approach and facts.

B) If anything is in disagreement or they deny you relief tell them you want this in writing in full

C) Always ask for time to think about any offer they make

D) But above all, stick to your guns on the facts and your situation.

Veester

"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful." -- Joshua J. Marine‏ ;)

Better than the truth itself is truthful living.

Yes thats good advice prepare what you awant to say before hand. If you refuse to speak to them on the phone after being told to by FOS it will not reflect to well on your willingness to co-operate. You never know they might just surprise you and give you a full offer :)

veester - the bank ignored me until the FOS said that they had to listen....

I still do not really want to talk to them given past experiences so I have put a proposal in writing to them asking for a refund of charges, interest and court fees - and also for the freezing of interest on my loan (jumped from 5.9% to 15.9% over 2 years and the bl**dy PPI won't pay out...).

I suppose if they ring I will have to talk to them :( but I'm hoping they will respond to my letter.

They did the same to me; totally ignored any point on hardship/illness (including medical evidence).

I would suggest talking to them, they have to confirm anything in writing anyway, and as per my above you don't have to agree to anything on the phone.

If you engage with them verbally first, then get them to confirm in writing, you can then engage in written comms...

Looks to me the only and best place to start...

Veester

"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful." -- Joshua J. Marine‏ ;)

Right I have spoken to them via phone. They will refund the charges (around £1250) but will not discuss the interest (quite a significant sum) or the court fees (£220). Nor will they budge on the interest on the loan, which has gone up again this week to 17.9%.

Any ideas? Am I now in a worse position because how can I proceed with the court case if the charges are refunded just for the interest/costs?

There is nothing wrong with proceeding with your case for interest/costs.

You are well within your rights to accept the offer, but inform them that you will be making representations to claim the interest/costs.

Veester

• 1 month later...

but will not discuss the interest (quite a significant sum)

Any ideas? Am I now in a worse position because how can I proceed with the court case if the charges are refunded just for the interest/costs?

Just wondering how much the interest amounts to-if not to personal- good luck tawnyowl

Hi,

Encouraged by your success I am going to try the hardship route with the Abbey. What address/contact did you use for them. The last correspondence I had before my case was put on hold was from Triton Square, Regents Park but I was writing to Milton Keynes before this. I don't want it to get stuck in the wrong place for weeks!

Thanks

Angela.

Thanks veester.

Any other thoughts anyone?

Hi Poppynurse

i too in same boat as you mine being 5k ish, my oh had loan too but they sold it on without our knowledge and now the company are coming after me - all adds to the bloody strain and refund of my 5k would more than clear it.

seems to me they do as they want, i hope what has been done to us doesn't happen to you regarding loan.

I do hope you get your money back soon and i wish you good luck with it all.

jcl

I managed to get the PPI to pay out on the loan!!!! so that is paid off.

I went back to the FOS and they say that by refunding the charges that Abbey have done all they need to, but I have disputed the amount of the charges (I calculate around £300 more than Abbey say). The FOS have bounced it back to Abbey.

Now I've got to work out how to amend my spreadsheet to reflect the refund....

I used the following address regarding my hardship claim:

Richard Harris

Head of Complaints

Abbey

PO Box 5129

Milton Keynes

MK9 2YN

I also copied it to the bod below - they were the one who did the negotiating (well told me what they would offer):

Denise Roberts

Collections and Recovery

PO Box 534

Abbey House

201 Grafton Gate East

Central Milton Keynes

MK9 1AN

• 2 months later...

watching with interest

lloyds S.A.R -sent 04/04/200

statements received 11/05/2007

prelim-14/05/2007 -£4987

lba-30/05/2007

n1-20/07/2007

Co-Op prelim sent-20/04/2007-£136.50

settled in full

goldfish prelim-27/06/2007

capital one -deemed served -01/07/2007

settlement without cci offered 17/07/2007