PCN from MET Parking Services

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5004 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Johnyg,

Simple MET won't take you to court as said before it is a complete [problem]. Read again what, AL27 has written and you will see all their letters and threats in a different light.

Like a lot of posters on here I have had lots of these unenforceable threats, sorry letters, they have threatened everything from, sending 'the boys round, court action, bankruptcy to killing my cat, still waiting for any of it to happen.

So, have a drink and when you are feeling like a good laugh read all their threatograms again and think, its costing them money to send,

regards

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.

Hi,I have read all your advice and compleatly agree with all the advice.I am in the process of having to deal with MET PARKING SERVICES and have had the same letters as you down to the last word but with our address on,I have wrote back 4 times and have now told them if they wish to take me to court but to keep me informed so I can attend and plead not guilty.they do not want to listen to my thoughts on the way the PCN was given to me and I dought if they even put my fears in front of any panel and as you have been told are trying to put the frightners on me.As far as I am concerned I will not pay and they can do what they like.If they send around the "heavys" I will call the police and let them deal with it.:evil:

Nighthawk.

If they want to take you to court, the first you will know of it is when you get papers from the court outlining the CLAIM against you. All they will be trying to say is that you owe them money. You will then have every oportunity, even before it ever gets to court, to present your own side of things and there are plenty on here to assist you in forming a proper defence.

I'm afraid the only thing you won't get to do is to plead "not guilty" in court. You only get to do that when you've broken the law. The best I can offer is the chance to say "I don't owe these [problematic] a penny, and here's the laws that say why I don't."

MBNA - Agreed to refund £970 in full without conditions. Cheque received Sat 5th Aug.:D

Lloyds - Settled for an undisclosed sum.:D

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I just registered with this site today after reading some of the posts to do with MET Parking Services after receiving a PCN from then whilst parked at our local Sainsbury's in Romford. (My thanks to everyone who has taken the time & effort to post)

In my case I bought a pay & display ticket from the machine but stupid me put the wrong half of the ticket on my dashboard. When I gave my half of the ticket in to the Sainsbury's cashier for reimbursement he pointed out my mistake and sure enough when I got back to my car I'd received a £100/£50 PCN.

Unfortunately I have already written to them (MET) explaining what I'd done before finding this site and I've since received a reply from them saying that I still have to pay anyway as "..we are satisfied that a contravention occurred".

So now I'm getting ready to fight them all the way and intend to make use of the letter templates etc but I was told that there was a discussion all about these PPC's on breakfast TV yesterday (26 Sep '08 - which I missed) and 2 lawyers were on who basically said that if the PCN's aren't paid then MET etc WILL pursue it through the courts.

Did anyone see the programme? It seems to go against what the various posters are saying on the subject here.

Another question: When writing to these bloodsuckers they recommend using recorded delivery (which I did) however their reply to me wasn't recorded. Should I reply to it or ignore it as if it never arrived? Sure, they may be able to prove that they posted their letter but they can't prove that I ever received it....

Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you!

Unfortunately, not all lawyers are well informed about private parking companies. The truth is that these companies will threaten court all the time but actual cases are VERY rare. They know that, against any kind of competant defence they would lose. It is much cheaper to send their threats by 2nd class post.

We have not heard of any cases MET have taken to court. It may be that, by appealing, you have admitted to being the driver. This overcomes one of the many hurdles that MET have to cross. Do not worry unduly. There are still many reasons why MET would fail. Keep the evidence. Given that you have already communicated with MET perhaps one more letter may be in order.

"I note the result of the "appeal". I disagree with your conclusions. I suggest that we simply agree to disagree. However, should you still wish to pursue this matter, I undertake to pay your "fine" upon direction of the court and only upon direction of the court. Should you undertake court proceedings please note that I intend to defend the action vigourously.

y/f"

I just registered with this site today after reading some of the posts to do with MET Parking Services after receiving a PCN from then whilst parked at our local Sainsbury's in Romford. (My thanks to everyone who has taken the time & effort to post)

In my case I bought a pay & display ticket from the machine but stupid me put the wrong half of the ticket on my dashboard. When I gave my half of the ticket in to the Sainsbury's cashier for reimbursement he pointed out my mistake and sure enough when I got back to my car I'd received a £100/£50 PCN.

ie. the usual unenforceable invoice. Private companies cannot fine you not displaying a ticket - it's an unlawful penalty charge. You don't owe them a penny. There is no fine or debt.

Unfortunately I have already written to them (MET) explaining what I'd done before finding this site and I've since received a reply from them saying that I still have to pay anyway as "..we are satisfied that a contravention occurred".

Of course you will have done. There is no appeals procedure. This is a private company who will obviously not turn money down.

So now I'm getting ready to fight them all the way and intend to make use of the letter templates etc

You can fight, or you can completely ignore. I prefer the latter - no effort, no stamps.

So now I'm getting ready to fight them all the way and intend to make use of the letter templates etc but I was told that there was a discussion all about these PPC's on breakfast TV yesterday (26 Sep '08 - which I missed) and 2 lawyers were on who basically said that if the PCN's aren't paid then MET etc WILL pursue it through the court

That's not what I heard. Nevertheless, it's a fact that a miniscule number of these fake fines do go to court. No properly defended case has ever been lost though. Your case is especially unlikely to progress - no judge is going to uphold a penalty charge of £100 for displaying the 'wrong' part of a P&D ticket. It's laughable.

When writing to these bloodsuckers they recommend using recorded delivery (which I did) however their reply to me wasn't recorded. Should I reply to it or ignore it as if it never arrived? Sure, they may be able to prove that they posted their letter but they can't prove that I ever received it....

You've already wasted your money on Recorded Delivery - don't waste any more of your time and cash. Whether their template 'appeal refused' letter arrived or not is not of importance.

Just relax and don't worry. Just ignore any further letters you receive.

Many thanks to both Barnsley Boy and Al27 for your replies.

You've put my mind to rest and I'm debating whether to send a reply or not. I feel like telling them to go to hell - but then again, as per Al27, why waste the postage?

I'll be interested to see their next letter and I'll update this thread as and when I receive something.

Keep up the good work

Thanks again.

My daughter had one of these from Met in The Brewery Romford. We wrote and had a few letters back from MET to say how they comply with the law etc etc and that my daughter has to pay the PCN. We decided to complain to The Brewery management via Email. We sent off 4 emails which they clearly passed to Met. We had replies to the 4 email each saying how they have investigated and my daughter owes this money.

Our last email to The Brewery demanded a response from them and not Met and we have not recieved a reply. We said that Met should either sue us or not write back anymore. We advised them that their invoice was in breach of Consumer Act 2008 and that any further response would be reported to authorities.

Also, two of my daughters friends have now collected PCN's from MET last week and they will not contact METwhich I think is the best thing to do.

Hi Howard,

How long ago was it that your daughter received her "fine" from the lovely people at MET? What was the outcome? Did they reply to your comment about them being in breach of the Consumer Act?

I'd be interested to hear if you were successful and I'm sure many others would be too.

Regards,

Ajbar

Its an invoice not a fine.

The recent correspondence was by Email. Must have been an exchange of 4 or 5 with Met. The Brewery Management had passed my emails complaining to Met Parking and Met just replied saying they have investigated and my daughter has to pay. All replies said there was no contract and the final email stated that Met were in breach of Consumer Act 2008. I sent a copy of this to The Brewery Management.

There was no reply to this email and so my daughter emailed The Brewery saying that this matter was now closed and sent this to Met Parking. She also said she would not correspond further unless Met Parking issued a County Court summons.

There has been no reply and it has been about two weeks.

One of my daughters friends had a "ticket" from Met last Friday. He is going to ignore. My view is that its not worth the hastle of corresponding with Met (or any PPC) unless they issue a County Court Summons (which I very much doubt).

If I was you I would file any correspondence and ignore.

Just to add, I received a parking ticket at the same car Park (Brewery Romford) from MET. Upon receipt of their first notification (£50 'fine'), I wrote back using some of the advice in this forum...display of signs not reasonable, hadn't entered into contract etc. I requested they issue court proceedings to resolve the matter.

MET wrote backing saying that they did not uphold my request. Since then I have ignored the continuing threats of debt collection and legal proceedings. My latest invoice is for £125.

I got the original ticket in April, this year. I have heard nothing from MET for a couple of weeks or so. I'll try and keep all updated on progress.

I should add that I didn't intentionally avoid paying the ticket. I do usually. The signage at Romford is not adequate and did not prompt my purchase of a ticket.

Update.

I received my "Notice to Owner" today from MET as I haven't bothered even to reply to them so far since my initial appeal was turned down previously.

To quote from their letter:

"You have a further 14 days to pay........additional sum of £25 to cover costs...... instructing a debt collection agency...... may commence proceedings...... obtain a county court judgement....... may affect your ability to borrow money:)....... balliffs (their spelling not mine) to recover payment......"

They then go on to tell me that if I wasn't the owner/keeper/hirer of the vehicle I should send them details of who was - that's the bit that made me laugh.

No doubt this is exactly the same as others have received and I fully intend to file mine and forget all about it. They can still go to hell. Oh, and they were gracious enough to tell me that should I wish to appeal it has to be in writing and I should enclose a stamped addressed envelope for their reply!!!

I'm sure this bunch don't know whether they should scratch their watch or wind their a$$

Anyway they can kiss mine :D

I'll post again as and when.

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi People

First post so will try to do things correctly

Have received 2 x Parking Charge Notice this morning from MET for parking in the Brewery @ Romford. One we had already appealed against ( with no reply from them ) & the second one is "out of the blue".

I have checked the photos & both tickets were issued within a 15 - 20 minute period after the ticket expired - the one we appealed against was because we believed that the parking time had taken us into the night rate - so we were "legal" but have had no reply - the second ticket which we were not aware of puts us late but as we were unaware of the ticket issue we had not paid in the discounted period.

As these are similar to others in this thread can anyone advise how they have progressed as I am very reluctant to pay these characters £200 for a total of less than one hours parking.

Thanx in adavance

Hi,

Update to mine: Last heard from MET in late August, nothing since then.

Not surprising really. At least they have the sense not to take these things to court.

So Hector, expect a barrage of fines / letters through the post over the next few weeks and months, many of which are intimidating enough (threats of court etc) for most people to pay. My advice - ignore them. It seems they will eventually write it off, and stop sending.

Cheers to all here for the advice. I will only post again if I receive anything more from MET.

:)

I have checked the photos & both tickets were issued within a 15 - 20 minute period after the ticket expired - the one we appealed against was because we believed that the parking time had taken us into the night rate - so we were "legal" but have had no reply - the second ticket which we were not aware of puts us late but as we were unaware of the ticket issue we had not paid in the discounted period.

As these are similar to others in this thread can anyone advise how they have progressed as I am very reluctant to pay these characters £200 for a total of less than one hours parking.

Thanx in adavance

There is no appeals process. This is a private company who will never turn down profit!

• do not pay

• do not contact them again

ignore their letters, no matter how threatening

• they will give up and go away after 4 or 5

Post Script:

With hindsight, it's easy to get an idea of MET's business model. They want to maximize their profit (of course)......

They do this by sending out blanket, computer generated, intimidating letters to which the majority of recipients respond by paying. Indeed, I was tempted to pay myself and end the issue had it not been for the advice and support here.

They don't maximise their profit by entering into any meaningful correspondence regarding appeals etc. For this they would have to pay somebody to think. Neither would they profit by taking any case to court - they would almost certainly lose the case.

It would be great of course to turn the books, and for MET to be threatened with court action given their immoral (and probably illegal) tactics... but that's for another day I guess...unless anyone?

Merry Christmas Everyone!

:)

Edited by Cute Banana

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Just to update you on my particular MET saga.

Received my 'fine' (invoice) in August 08 from MET at The Brewery in Romford.

I wrote to them in early September to explain that I'd put the 'wrong' half of my ticket on my dashboard etc

In Mid September I received their reply saying tough luck - pay anyway

So, I started ignoring them :-)

During Oct, Nov & Dec '08 I received:

- 'Notice to Owner/Keeper/Hirer' for £100 - ignored it

- 'Reminder' plus admin charge for £125 - ignored it

- 'Final Reminder' plus admin charge for £150 - ignored that too even though, according to MET it was an IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE (yeah right) :lol:

Haven't heard diddley-squat from them since 11 Dec 2008 and I don't expect to.

I'm very grateful to all the posters on here for their advice etc and if you're reading this because you've received a MET Invoice (and it is purely an invoice NOT an enforceable fine) then I hope you'll make up your mind not to pay them either. Don't part with your hard earned cash!!

Their bully-boy tactics are unethical, immoral and probably illegal.

In bold capital letters on the Final Reminder it states "Failure to pay the full balance outstanding within a further 14 days of this notice will result in MET instructing a debt collection agency to collect any sum due. The debt collection agency may commence proceeding against you blah, blah, blah...."

This is all hot air and scare tactics - my 14 days have long passed - don't let this type of thing intimidate you into paying these greedy bloodsuckers.

Should I hear anything more from them (very unlikely) I will post another update.

Regards,

Tony

Edited by ajbar