Sign in to follow this  
TeeSee

First Steps

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 5018 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, Everyone - great site thanks very much.

Like a lot of others here I have had an authorised OD with Abbey, and like a lot of others also its been increased to pay charges so you find it spiralling out of control. I too, in the past have been through the same crap with them when they've wanted the money back in one go without pre warning me first, leaving me with no alternative to get a loan to pay them back amid threats of defaulting me. Anyway, because of financial difficulties I did something I swore I'd never do again and I accepted a 200 pounds OD, which has now swelled again due to being back on the merry go round to 700 pounds. I've pulled my belt in and it means the family going without for a few months but I'm trying to reduce it month by month by 100 pounds.

In January I was stung for 280pounds charges for a few purchases (none being over a tenner) made over xmas when I thought there was a few more quid in the account than there really was. I rang my local branch in India who informed me they were prepared to take off 80 pounds as a "gesture of goodwill" leaving me with 200 still to pay. Money which would have gone to paying of the OD.

I went to Abbey here and was told the usual computerised etc and she couldn't do anything. Thats when I mentioned it to a friend and they told me about this site.

Now armed with half a plan to reclaim whats mine and get retribution off these b****ds that have put me and my family through so much unecessary stress, I'm still a little reticent because I'm still in their hands.

If I was to send the letter now would they say give us the 600 you still owe us?

Do I wait six months and the hit them, but in that six months will they have closed some of the gaps to stop us reclaiming our money back, or at least make it harder, because I reckon now that customers are starting to fight back they're going to start taking this very seriously and find some way of stopping the haemorrhaging of their ill gotton wealth claiming to the courts that this will drive them out of business.

I'm determined to get back whats mine because that 200 quid is only the tip of the iceberg, they must have had thousands off me over the years and to find out that this was illegal coupled with the way in which they made me feel like a criminal and the hardship and near breakdown of my family, I want to take a little bite out of THEM for a change.

Should I send the letter now or do I wait?

Thanks in advance

This is a decision you must make. There is nothing to be gained by waiting. It is extremely unlikl that they will give you your money back on the receipt of your letter. If you want all the charges back, follow the procedure in the FAQ and stick to it.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

I rang my local branch in India

Big lol!!

I also have an overdraft with Abbey but have decided to hit them now because I'm certain once the floodgates open they'll find a way round this. I'm also going to be claiming at least double the value of the overdraft. Personally I think it's a risk worth taking. I have opened an account with another bank though just in case they start to get shirty.

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

I'm certain that they won't find a way round it.

In the unlikely event that they managed to circumnavigate our attacks (and we have plenty of legal knowledge now and anticipated a LOT of eventualilties) then they would have to change the contracts of thousands of people - how many people wouldn't want theirs changes?

Also, to change it brings on a whole host of other legalities.

Did they find a way around the endowment mis-selling scandal? Or did they have to pay for that mistake too?

<font face=arial size=1>Advice & opinions of Dave and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.</font>

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 5018 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you