'Service Charges' vs 'Penalty Charges'

simon_mcevoy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5774 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HSBC have recently started referring to all charges on their accounts as voluntary service charges, presumably to avoid paying out if the OFT case goes against them. It is has taken £125 of 'service charges' from my account in two weeks, £25, per transaction, per day overdrawn.

However, I have just got off the phone from a very helpful girl in their sales dept in Leeds who has confirmed that these ARE in fact penalty charges, and I have her name, time and date of the conversation. Is there any way of using this to provoke legal action or repayment of these charges do you think?

Also should I go ahead with the reclaims process again even though the case is putting them all on hold?

Cheers

Hi simon ,welcome to the forum

By all means go ahead with the reclaims process simon - (btw if that's your real full name you may want to disguise it - the banks surf these threads as well) ..... if you are 'stayed' in the court system you'll be in the queue when the banks start paying out, and earning 8% interest while you're waiting :)

As to the other query - you may have the date ,time and name of who you spoke to , but you can't prove what was said , I 'm afraid, (unless you recorded the call of course.)and I don't think your contact is going to admit that's what you were told. :rolleyes:

However ,it doesn't really matter, we all know that these are just the old penalty charges dressed up with another name .........:rolleyes:

So carry on with your claim mate. Come nback if you need further help , we're a friendly lot on here........ :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D