• Tweets

• What's the reason for not wanting a smart meter? Personally I'm saving a pile on a tariff only available with one. Today electricity is 17.17p/kWh. If the meter is truly past its certification date the supplier is obliged to replace it. If you refuse to allow this then eventually they'll get warrant and do so by force. Certified life varies between models and generations, some only 10 or 15 years, some older types as long as 40 years or maybe even more. Your meter should have its certified start date marked somewhere so if you doubt the supplier you can look up the certified life and cross check.
    • No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

1st Credit (finance) limited - RBOS CreditCard/Style Store Card

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5426 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

deary me, it amazes me they still put crap like that in writing, do they not know CAG is watching lol

I think Natwest are part of the RBS group now - don't know if they always were...just wait and see what they come up with then you can write to them and tell them how to do their jobs hehe

Muppets. I just do not get tired of saying that about them :lol:

Dipply75

I am in no way a legal advisor and only speak from my own experiences and the helpful advice of those in the same boat! :p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just a little update -

12+2 working days have passed, and other than the acknowledgement letter in post 22 not heard anything yet =)

Fingers crossed =)

Well bollocks, it would seem that they've send a CCA, and I'm quite sure it has all the prescribed terms and conditions on it -

Came with the

We attatch an Edited copy of the signed agreement in respect of the above account and would ask for your comments

1) If you confirm that the signature is yours we will of course sned you a complete copy of the relevant document. We would also invite your proposals for settling this outstanding debt.

2) IF this is not your signature... confirm with passport/driving license... blah blah

3) If we believe a fraud has taken place against you blah blah....

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Think i'm screwed.

Will post up the scanned documents on Tuesday, but does anyone have some advice?

EDIT - Hmm, I just been looking closely at the documents I've received and the CCA form looks like my information has been copied and pasted from the application form... Will post up the images shortly.

Edited by Youngandsilly

Well I think I'm well and truly bummed - Went back and had a look at the signature and although I was sure I only signed a single page application form, I think my signature is ligite.

Unfortunately the scanner I have scans as PDF, so have attached here, though looking through other threads etc, I think it does indeed have all the prescribed terms etc, although it isn't signed by the creditor, as I understand it, it's a bit of an iffy issue if it goes to court.

I'd appreciate some advice on the CCA and what to do next if possible =)

Scan001.PDF

Hmm.... the letter from wurst crudit is standard template job. To me I feel this has all the prescribed terms however this is not definite.

Can someone who knows pass comment please?

[CENTER][CENTER][B] Has this post helped you?[/B] [/CENTER] [LEFT][CENTER]If so please click on the scales!! [LEFT][B]<--------------------------------[/B] [/LEFT] [/CENTER] [/LEFT] [/CENTER]

Now I may be wrong here BUT. You make a S77/78 request to our dear friends in Reigate. They are legally obliged within 12 working days to send you a properly executed copy of your CCA NOT an edited copy. Nowhere in the 1974 Act does it stipulate where you have to confirm the signature is yours or not. What these wretched people have sent you does NOT comply with your LEGAL REQUEST. The act does not stipulate they can send you an edited copy. If the 12 working days are up I would report them to TS and the OFT for non compliance of your Legal CCA request.

I suspect this is a ploy or yet another mindgame by these people. I know of another site wher I should be able to get an answer from someone very close to the people in Reigate as to their reasoning behind this letter.

They're also breaching OFT guidlines by asking to confirm your signature and sending information to an alledged debtor when they are uncertain if you are the person they're looking for:

Deceptive and/or unfair methods

2.7 Dealings with debtors are not to be deceitful and/or unfair.

2.8 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

a. sending demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that

they are the debtor in question, for example, threatening debt recovery

action to 'the occupier' or sending a payment demand to all people sharing

the same name/date of birth as a debtor in the hope that contact with the

correct debtor will be made.

b. disclosing debt details to an individual when it is uncertain that they are

the debtor in question, for example, disclosing details to 'the occupier' of

an address.

c. refusing to deal with appointed or authorised third parties, such

as Citizens Advice Bureaux, independent advice centres or money

advisers

d. contacting debtors directly and bypassing their appointed representatives

e. operating a policy, without reason, of refusing to negotiate with

debt management companies

f. passing on debtor details to debt management companies without the

debtors' informed prior consent

g. failing to refer on to the creditor reasonable offers to pay by instalments

h. not passing on payments received within a reasonable time resulting in

delays that adversely affect a debtor's financial position.

i. failing to investigate and/or provide details as appropriate, when a debt is

queried or disputed, possibly resulting in debtors being wrongly pursued

j. requiring an individual to supply information to prove they are not the

debtor in question, for example, driving licences, passports, full name,

date of birth, signatures

Hi ODC :D Do you mean the site I'm thinking of ;)

Thanks for that ODC and Babybear!

I feel I should point out, that although most of the information i've attached is edited out, on the original document I was sent, only the email address and security password were blanked out - the rest I did myself to post here.

Should I be sending anything back to these people?

IMHO they have not complied with you LEGAL REQUEST under the CCA. You are not obliged to confirm the signature is yours. If they are not sure you are the person in question then they are breaking Data Protection by sending you the threatomatics in the first place. Coversly if they are so sure that you are the person in question then they must comply with your LEGAL REQUEST.

IMHO they have not complied with you LEGAL REQUEST under the CCA. You are not obliged to confirm the signature is yours. If they are not sure you are the person in question then they are breaking Data Protection by sending you the threatomatics in the first place. Coversly if they are so sure that you are the person in question then they must comply with your LEGAL REQUEST.

In that case, is anyone able to help me draft a letter back to 1st Credit then?

I'm unsure about how to put my arguement across in a way that'll make these people think (although as I understand it, that may be difficult).

Send them this, though it may take time for them to find someone who can read and understand it:

Courtesy of Curlyben...

Account In Dispute

Ref:

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your letter of xx/xx/xx, the contents of which have been noted.

You have failed to respond to my legal request to supply me a true copy of the original Consumer Credit Agreement for the above account.

On **DATE** I made a formal request for a true signed agreement for the alleged account under consumer credit Act 1974 s77/8. A copy of which is enclosed for your perusal and ease of reference.

You have failed to comply with my request, and as such the account entered default on **DATE**.

The document that you are obliged to send me is a true copy of the executed agreement that contained all of the prescribed terms, all other required terms and statutory notices and was signed by both your company and myself as defined in section 61(1) of CCA 74 and subsequent Statutory Instruments. If the executed agreement contained any reference to any other document, you are also obliged to send me a copy of that document.In addition a full statement of this account should have been sent to me detailing all debits and credits to the account.

Furthermore

You are aware that the Consumer Credit Act allows 12 working days for a request for a true copy of a credit agreement to be carried out before your client enters into a default situation.

These limits have expired.

As you are no doubt aware section 77(6) states:

If the creditor fails to comply with Subsection (1)

(a) He is not entitled , while the default continues, to enforce the agreement.

And

(b) If the default continues for one month he commits an offence.

Therefore this account has become unenforceable at law.

As you have Failed to comply with a lawful request for a true, signed copy of the said agreement and other relevant documents mentioned in it, Failed to send a full statement of the account and Failed to provide any of the documentation requested.

Consequentially any legal action you pursue will be averred as both UNLAWFUL and VEXATIOUS.

Furthermore I shall counterclaim that any such action constitutes unlawful harassment.

Please note you may also consider this letter as a statutory notice under section 10 of the Data Protection Act to cease processing any data in relation to this account with immediate effect.

This means you must remove all information regarding this account from your own internal records and from my records with any credit reference agencies.

Should you refuse to comply, you must within 21 days provide me with a detailed breakdown of your reasoning behind continuing to process my data.

It is not sufficient to simply state that you have a ‘legal right’; You must outline your reasoning in this matter and state upon which legislation this reasoning depends.

Should you not respond within 14 days I expect that this means you agree to remove all such data.

Furthermore you should be aware that a creditor is not permitted to take ANY

Action against an account whilst it remains in dispute.

The lack of a credit agreement is a very clear dispute and as such the following applies.

* You may not demand any payment on the account, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you.

* You may not add further interest or any charges to the account.

* You may not pass the account to a third party.

* You may not register any information in respect of the account with any credit reference agency.

* You may not issue a default notice related to the account.

I reserve the right to report your actions to any such regulatory authorities as I see fit.

You have 14 days from receiving this letter to contact me with your intentions to resolve this matter which is now a formal complaint.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter.

I look forward to hearing from you in writing.

Yours faithfully

Amend to suit, do not sign, print your name, send recorded keeping a copy with your postal receipt. Also, add a line that they are in breach of the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive, OFT guidlines and the CPUTR 2008.

• 7 months later...

1st Credit acquired a card debt in October 2008 value £4500 (approx).

I offered payment by instalments to be made by bank standing order and received their letters of acceptance 14th and 21st October 2008 (duplicates), but they asked for payment by 'open' direct debit (ie no amount specified)

As a result I pay by cheque every month.

They are now using a collection agency and a firm of solicitors to accuse me of non-compliance and not having made any arrangement (only 1st Credit cannot see that the terms are exclusive) and persist in threatening legal action.

In my defence I have:

Every letter that has been sent to me

A copy of every letter I have sent

A full record of the payments I have made

In addition I will NOT discuss the debt on the telephone with ANYONE other than those who might help me (CAB, National Debtline etc) and say so in print.

I have also lodged a complaint with the OFT about their tactics and I am pleased to note that they have already taken action.

Moral: keep accurate records/deal only in writing/take advice before acting (National Debtline are free and first class - CAB work to their guidelines)

• 2 months later...

Well an update on this my friends -

I've just had a phonecall (to my work phone number no less, not sure how they got that...) from First Credit to inform me that in order to get the details I requested last year that they require a £10 payment.

Now I was rather miffed with them on the phone, seeing as my manager took the phonecall, and I had to deal with it while she was sitting there. Explained quite clearly that under a SAR request then yes, I would need to pay the £10 fee, however I didn't request information under a SAR, and that it was a CCA request and I paid the £1 fee - Further went on to state how unhappy I was that they contacted me at work, informed them not to ring me again and I would only deal with it through correspondance.

Most unimpressed - So they said they'd send me a letter with what they actually need. Wonder what mince they'll send now....

Sebs this to the numpties in Reigate:

- HARASSMENT WARNING -

WARNING; PROTECTION FROM HARASSMENT ACT 1997;

WARNING; COMMUNICATIONS ACT 2003. s127.

Telephone Number: {Your Telephone Number}

Re: Harassment by telephone

Dear Sir/Madam.

I am writing in relation to telephone calls that I have received from your organisation, which I deem to be personally harassing. I have verbally requested that these calls stop, but I am still receiving call. I now require the telephone number listed above to be completely removed from your systems.

I am in the view that your continued telephone calls put you in breach of the Protection of Harassment Act 1997.

This is a private telephone line, operated on a contract with the intention of receiving and making personal phone calls, I have not authorised any other member of my family to receive calls from your organisation using this PRIVATE TELEPHONE LINE.

By using this telephone number without my permission you are interferring with my ability to use my own private property for the duration of any call.

It is my right to require that this telephone line, which is licenced solely to myself, is kept clear for my own personal calls.

It is consquently my view that you are commiting the tort of interference with contract insofar as for the duration of each call you make to me without my permission, you are interfering with my contractual right to receive and make personal calls on my private telephone line.

Continued interference with my contractual rights in this manner may result in legal action.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to the Office of Communications, Trading Standards and the Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you may be liable for a substantial fine.

Be advised that all telephone calls from your company will be recorded.

Yours faithfully,

Amend to suit, send recorded, PRINT do not sign your name and keep a copy with your postal receipt. Include all numbers they've used to harass you on.