• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Yorkshire Bank Taking Money Fron Benefits

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5632 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi ,everyone,I hope someone can advise me .My partner and I are recieving chlid and working tax credit and child benefit .Over the past 5 years yorkshire bank have charged us just under £2000 in returned dds fees.The FOS have my complaint on file and like everyone else my case is on hold.But we are really struggling financially.my partner was ill for awhile and we got really behind with the mortgage and nearly lost our home ,we we are still heavily in arrears and have a reppo order hanging over us .We are behind with all the other bills also.Yorkshire bank still keep on charging though ,they took £140 in the last month alone ,and that wasn,t even our fault,our house insurance tried to take money out 3 times without informing us.as we are on benefits can we claim under the hardship rules or should we just demand our money back under the social security act 2002.any help greatly appriciated .thanks.angnnig

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest forgottenone

Was going to suggest this but was unsure whether they meant their benefits were being paid into Yorkshire Bank or not? Is that what you mean ang ... or that the bank is charging you whilst being on benefits when there is legislation about charging fees whilst someone is on benefit? Which you do go onto mention. If not, disregard.

But, yes, as 42man says - just need to phone DWP to get them to transfer it to a new account. You mention a complaint to the FOS ... very lacking of them not to even suggest you change banks under the circumstances. If that is the case.

Thanks guys for your fast replys ,I should have changed banks ages ago,I definatly am now .All my benefits are paid into Yorkshire bank ,,ive even tried arguing on the phone to them saying ,what thier doing is illegal but they dont listen and refuse to talk to me.Is thier anyway i can claim under the hardship rules, and can anyone suggest any template letters to do this ,thanks ,regards angnnig

Thanks for you reply Grumpy,Iv,e just looked at the social security act letter and I tempted to send that to Yorkshire bank,has anyone ever sucseeded in getting thier money back with this letter.If YB refuse do i take my case to the office of fair trading.Can they make YB pay me the money they owe me .any help appriciated thankyou .

Hi Ang.

I tried the link above and it only took me as far as the main menu.

The following link will take you to the letter itself.......

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/42170-right-appropriation-stop-bank.html

[quote name=42man

I would change bank accounts immediately.....and get the benefits paid in to the new account ASAP....this is completely unreasonable of the Yorkshire Bank to do this.....

]

You need too open a parachute account A.S.A.P.

Arrange to have all your benefits etc paid into the new account.

Transfer all standing orders and direct debits to the new account.

Your money will then be out of Yorkshire Bank's reach.

This thread will give you some info on parachute accounts......

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/58685-do-you-need-parachute.html

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Thanks for your advice Rooster,can you advise of any banks that dont charge for returned direct debits.thanks.regards angnnig

Only two....

The Blood Bank and the Monopoly bank.:lol:

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Only two....

The Blood Bank and the Monopoly bank.:lol:

LMFAO :D

Ang, I found that Natwest Step account was very easy to open, you get to set up D/D's (There will always be a charge if you bounce these) and a solo card for online transactions

NatWest - Find the best current account for you

Jogs

Ha ha,very funny Rooster:rolleyes:,

Thanks for your reply Havinastella,I will give them a try,I wouldn,t have anything on direct debit by choice,but car insurance,house insurance and life insurance wont accept any other payment method.kind regards angnnig

• 3 weeks later...

I recently sent a socal security letter,asking my bank to refund all the unlawfull charges and to stop taking these from my benefit,and this letter was there reply.can anyone advise me what to do next,and if you cannot read my attachment,please advise how i upload and make it readable,kind regards ang n nig

york bank.jpg

Edited by angnnig
adding text

Hi all,Over the past 6 years my bank (yorkshire bank) have took just under £2000 of me in unlawfull charges ,I have the complaint with the FOS.I have been on benefits for most of that time and the bank are still taking money from my benefits,I have recently sent them the "social security act letter",demanding that they pay me all the charges back and to stop taking anymore charges from my benefits ,they sent a letter back basically saying that they are not breaking any laws and they are not going to refund me any of the charges.Can anyone advise me what I should do next ,thanks ,kind regards angnnig

Thanks for the tip Blue,ive looked at the link ,thats how i got started with the social security act letter,it tells me how to get to that stage but cant find anything on what to do next,unless ive missed something .Il have another look though.kind regards angnnig

Hi again just read through all the links and im not sure wether to take it through the FOS or court ,I think the easiest thing to do would be to take it through the FOS and claim through hardship grounds and the social security act .does anyone know of any good template letters for this or should i just put it in my own words .thanks .regards angnnig

can u make that any bigger as it is unreadable

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Im not really sure how to make the image larger,sorry not well up on computers.So I'l just type the relevent bits out.

we refer to your letter dated 1st july,

It is the banks position that the social security administration act 1992 is not of relevance in the circumstances of this case.the act states that every assignment of or charge on benefits shall be void,this means any attempt by you to assign a right to your benefits or offer them as security will be void.the section does not relate to bank charges.

if you are unhappy with the way in which your complaint has been handled or the outcome you may refer your complaint to the FOS.

Thanks, regards angnnig.

incorrect about that the banks know that this is wrong. there are letters from the secetary of state to banks on the thread to i will try and find them.

needless to say i would advise ur bank what the benefits office told me.

that is.

under the social securitys act 1992 any money taken from benefit money is illegal. The banks have been aware of this since 1992. The only money that is allowed to be removed from a claimants benefit money is money they owe us (benefits agency). This is our right under seperate rules laid down within the same act as it is goverment money.

If the banks dont understand the rules on benefit money then maybe they should read the relivant sections of the act.

since then i have had no problems with money comming out of my benefits for anything.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Thanks GM,I will deffo give it a try.what do you think my chances are on getting my money back from YB .I might go through the hardship route also ,Im not sure wether to write to the bank or FOS for this.kind regards angnnig

I dont know what your chances are as i have not had any dealings with the company.