Stolen cheque

tjzac
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5774 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone offer some advice?

I had a cheque sent to me by a company and it never arrived. I called them and they said they'd cancel it but now they're saying they can't because someone has already cashed it. The cheque had my name on it so I can't see how someone else has cashed it? I don't understand. Surely the company that cashed it is liable in some way?

Anyone have any ideas for what I can do?

Did the company send the cheque to you as a consumer or acting as a business?

my own view is to ask the company to contact there bank and get a copy of the check and the details of whoes account it was paid into

failing that seems a police matter or company telling porkies

My initial view is that they have a responsibility to get the cheque to you.

I would write to them and require a satisfactory explanation and a copy of the encashed cheque within 10 days or else sue.

However, a few details on the story might be a good idea first please.

Thanks for all advice it was really helpful. I called again yesterday as I never heard back. I explained that this was their problem etc as suggested above, and low and behold I had an email today saying they'd made a mistake and the cheque had not be cashed?! After much worry I'm just pleased to know that (finger's crossed) I'll have the money transferred directly into my account (and as goodwill they will not charge me for the cheque cancellation fee!). Thanks again for all your advice!

(and as goodwill they will not charge me for the cheque cancellation fee!).

Very big of them. They cocked-up, it was their duty to do whatever was necessary. It was never your responsibilty to pay any cheque cancellation fee.

Let us know when you've received it and got it safely banked.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

........I would add that no bank charges a check cancellation fee where the cheque is/was lost in the post.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf