Barclaycard/Mercers

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5776 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on this:

I've currently got a debt with barclaycard. I can't remember the exact amount, but it's over £2000. I'm on benefits at the moment (specifically jobseekers allowance), and am also overdrawn by about £500, with savings of about £60, so as you can see, im in real trouble now.

I've spoken to barclaycard a few times, to try and come to some sort of agreement. This has resulted in me paying a lesser amount each month than they were asking for, but after the last time I phoned them, they sent a statement with a minimum payment of over £100, which again, I can't afford. They've now got Mercers debt collectors after me. No idea how much they want, as I refused to confirm my details when they phoned, so they said they couldn't continue with the call.

I'm considering just ignoring them, but just wanted someone else's opinion on whether that's the right thing to do.

I've been chased by a couple of debt collectors in the past for an unpaid paypal account, which I didn't owe. Paypal ignored my request for proof of the debt. The original collector never did anything other than threaten me, then pass my details onto another company (without informing me I might add), who then tried the same things that the first one did. I then moved, and so the contact stopped. Going on both of these, I would guess that Mercers will probably keep trying for a while, before passing it on again.

I'm past caring about my credit rating now, and so couldn't give a stuff about any entries they might enter on it.

Again, I just wanted an opinion on whether it's the right thing to do to ignore them.

From research i've done, it looks like Mercers are marked as a dormant company on Companies House website, and that they are also part of barclaycard.

Craig

Abbey - All charges refunded / Barclarcard - Paid in full / MBNA - Paid In Full / Abbey Credit Card - Paid In Full / Carphone Warehouse - Paid In Full, and contract terminated / PayPal - Enforcement action stopped, and account closed / Fasthosts - Account Closed / 1and1 Internet - Enforcement action stopped, and account closed. Debt free as of 2012

When was the Barclaycard account opened? Request a copy of the CCA, use the letter below.

They have 12 + 2 days from posting it before the account cannot be enforced. An additional 30 days will see them commit a criminal offence.

What is the current state of your credit report, do you have defaults etc?

By Special Delivery

Dear Sir/Madam

Re:- Account/Reference Number 1234567890

No debt is acknowledged to you, or any other person or organisation you represent.

With reference to the above agreement, we would be grateful if you would send us a copy of this credit agreement.

We understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 s.78 (1), s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit we are entitled to receive a copy of our credit agreement on request. Your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account. We enclose a £1 postal order in payment of the statutory fee, PO Serial Number xxxxx which represents the fee payable under the Consumer Credit Act.

This is , you will appreciate, a statutory obligation, whether you are the original creditor or not, under section 189 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

We understand a copy of our credit agreement should be supplied within 12 working days.

We understand that under the Consumer Credit Act creditors are unable to enforce an agreement if they fail to comply with a request for a copy of the agreement under these sections of the Act.

Please note, We must emphasize that the enclosed payment is the statutory fee in accordance with the consumer credit act 1974 s 77 (1) and is neither acknowledgement of nor token payment toward alleged debt .

Please note that We have copies of all correspondence and attached payments enclosed therein.

We look forward to hearing from you.

[CENTER][CENTER][B] Has this post helped you?[/B] [/CENTER] [LEFT][CENTER]If so please click on the scales!! [LEFT][B]<--------------------------------[/B] [/LEFT] [/CENTER] [/LEFT] [/CENTER]