style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4692 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm not sure if this is a scandal or not but as far as i'm concerned it's scandalous!

First a bit of background:

My wife and I have lived in our home for approx 4 years. We have never used nor intend to use Virgin media.

A few months ago a Virgin Media bill came through the door with somebody elses name but to our correct address. First of all confusing, but simple, I'll call the helpful Virgin Media customer services team and I was assured it was an error and it would be put right. 2 more bills and 2 more phonecalls passed, again, the same reassuring message that they know there is a problem. However, the bills keep coming. Yesterday, came home from work to a note through the door from a "technician" to pick up equipment and one also plastered to our front door.

The notes have a mobile phone number telling me to call them urgently about virgin medias equipment. So I do, and I talk to the helpful man. He tells me that he is also aware that there is an issue with the address but "he's just doing his job" and also informs me that the account holder had moved house previously and failed to give virgin media a change of address (judging by the £600+ bill this was done intentionally).

So, this is the really interesting part, according to the technician, the person(s) who moved into the debtors address must have got sick of receiving bills addressed to this person and went to the estate agents to get a forwarding address (is that allowed?!) which is where the estate agent gave our address - why? I don't know... But Virgin Media now have taken a member of the publics word for it that the debtor now lives at my address and they won't take my word for it that they don't. What the hell do I do now?

Hi James,

Welcome to the Consumer Action Group.

You need to send this letter to Virgin media

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

You want letter 'N'

Start your letter with 'I dispute this debt exists with your company'

Dont sign your name, just print it.

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Personally, I disagree. This implies that you are the person that has been chased. I would personally write them a letter stating the person does not live at that address. Continued contact will be classed as harrasment, and will be logged and reported to the relevant authorities.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I agree with Mr Shed I should go further threaten them with legal action if they don't get their act together & if you get no satisfaction or another bill send them an LBA closely followed by a claim for harassment

Also don't forget your credit status will probably have been ruined as this defaulted debt will be recorded at your address. In addition by telling them (even truthfully) your not the person you may even be on their fraud register

Its disgraceful I know but you really need to go on the offensive if you want to get these people off your back

I would also consider taking this up with the estate agents, as they have no right IMO to release what are now YOUR address details. This could well be a breach of their obligations under data protection.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

JonChris and MrShed I agree I have drafted a letter that looks like this:

Dear Sir/Madam,

My wife and I have lived in our home for approx 4 years. We have never used nor intend to use Virgin media.

A few months ago a Virgin Media bill came through the door with somebody elses name but to our correct address. First of all confusing, but simple, I’ll call the Virgin Media customer services team and I was assured it was an error and it would be put right. Two more bills and two more phonecalls passed, again, the same reassuring message that they know there is a problem. However, the bills keep coming. Yesterday, we came home from work to a note through the door from a technician to pick up equipment and one also plastered to our front door.

The notes have a mobile phone number telling me to call them urgently about your equipment. So I do, and I talk to the helpful man. He tells me that he is also aware that there is an issue with the address but “he’s just doing his job” and also informs me that the account holder had moved house previously and failed to give Virgin Media a change of address (judging by the £600+ bill this was done intentionally).

Also, according to the technician, the person(s) who moved into the debtors address must have got sick of receiving bills addressed to this person and went to the estate agent to get a forwarding address which is where the estate agent gave our address. Virgin Media have now taken a member of the public’s word for it that the debtor lives at my address but you won’t take my word for it that they don’t.

My wife and I are both very distressed due to the continuous bills and now employees of your company turning up at our door, despite my phone calls to you. We have spent considerable time, effort and money trying to correct this error and expect to be compensated for this.

I look forward to hearing from you and to a satisfactory resolution of this problem. I will wait for 72 hours before seeking help from an independent regulator. Please contact me at the above address or by phone (numbers can be found above).

Yours sincerely

James Rudge

Enclosures: Miss **** ******* bill, Technicians calling cards.

I would love to take this up with the estate agents but i have no idea which it could be! And can't think of a way to find out....

Mr Shed is correct. I should prepare an s10 notice forbidding them from processing your data & if they are close at hand take it there remembering to have someone sign for it after giving them a rollicking for releasing your info this way.

Who knows how many more such creditors are looking for these people & will end up at your door because your estate agent can't abide by the law

Very good advice from JonCris.

I dont feel your letter is strong enough personally - you need to be mentioning the magic word of "harrassment"....

The only problem i have with that is that the person on the Virgin Media bill has never lived at my address so it looks like an error coming from the estate agents would that kind of thing be recorded in their records?

James please remember your not dealing with the sharpest tools in the box. Your letter is too wordy.

I should pare it down by at least 2/3's Keep it simple don't reiterate all the events, that's for later, just say you started harassing me on (date of 1st bill))& I don't owe you a penny piece & that despite trying to resolve matters with your staff on (date of visit) you sent an employee (named) to my home thereby escalating your harassment & if you don't stop at once I will have no choice but to report you as well as seeking what may be substantial compensation through the civil courts etc.

The only problem i have with that is that the person on the Virgin Media bill has never lived at my address so it looks like an error coming from the estate agents would that kind of thing be recorded in their records?

Doesnt matter - yes the estate agents have caused the issue, but VM have been told they dont live there and have continued to harrass.

JonChris and MrShed I agree I have drafted a letter that looks like this:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please find enclosed your employees card about which I shall return later

A few months ago a Virgin Media bill came through the door with somebody else's name but to our correct address. I immediately contacted Virgin Media customer services team and I was assured it was an error and it would be put right. Two more bills and two more phone calls passed, again, the same reassuring message that they know there is a problem. However, the bills keep coming. On (day date), we came home from work to a note through the door from your technician to pick up equipment and one also plastered to our front door for all our friends, neighbours and passers by to see.

The notes have a mobile phone number telling me to call them urgently about your equipment which I did and He tells me that he is also aware that there is an issue with the address but “he’s just doing his job” and also informs me that the account holder had moved house previously and failed to give Virgin Media a change of address (have deleted this comment not really your concern)

Also, according to Mr. (name), the person(s) who moved into the debtors address must have got sick of receiving bills wrongly addressed to this person and went to the estate agent to get a forwarding address which is where the estate agent gave our address.

Alarmingly Virgin Media have now taken a member of the public’s word that the debtor lives at my address yet continues to refuse to believe me

My wife and I are both very distressed due to the continuous harassment bills and now employees of your company turning up at our door deleted We have spent considerable time, effort and money trying to correct this error and expect to be compensated for this.

I look forward to hearing from you and to a satisfactory resolution of this problem. I will wait for 72 hours before reporting you to the appropriate authorities.

Please contact me at the above address or by phone (numbers can be found above). Also note that because of your many broken promises to date I reserve the right to record all telephone calls with Virgin Media and or their representatives

Yours faithfully

James Rudge

Enclosures: Miss **** ******* bill, Technicians calling cards.

I would love to take this up with the estate agents but i have no idea which it could be! And can't think of a way to find out....

Amendments in red above

• 2 weeks later...