style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4707 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey,

Wonder if you can help me out with something!

About late March, 2 other people and I were given 'at risk of redundancy' letters. One person was our accountant and the other person was my supervisor.

We had the usual consultations (3 weeks later than promised)where i was asked what i thought they should do to stop me being made redundant, and was told they they were trying to save my supervisor at least (nice eh :eek:). At this point we were asked if anybody wanted to take a voluntary redundancy. I spoke it over with my partner and my colleagues and decided i would take the voluntary redundancy. The main reason for this is because he has been here over 20 years, i have been here 5 years so if anybody was going to stay it was him. I explained to my boss that the waiting around for them to make a decision was making me ill so i was going to just go. I was told ('off the record' so he put it) due to my long service i would receive a payoff of just under £5k.

Once everything was agreed i completed a list of all my jobs and asked them to go over it so everything was taken care of, this was ignored. I done this in the hope they would realise how much work i done, therefore allowing me to keep my job.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and i receive my redundancy letter which has a total of less than half of what i was told i would receive. I calculated it and it seems they never took my age into consideration (i have been under 22 for most my time here).

Well, im due to leave next week and they are just starting to see the little admin jobs i do.

Talk has now begun about getting someone in to do the admin.

Now, i know they cannot make me redundant to employ someone else to do my job. But, admin is about 30% of the work i do and i decided to take voluntary redundancy so where do i stand? Surely it still cant be legal?

Thanks for any help you can offer :)

Hi Clare,

I would suggest that now you have received your final redundancy calculation that you reject it in writing based on the fact that you applied on basis that that you were given an estimate that was misleading.

Regards,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. To be honest, im not really too fussed about the pay (i just mentioned it so everyone had the full picture).

I'm more bothered about the fact that they are going to employ someone to do a job they have just made me redundant from! I wondered where i stood on that?

If the person employed is only going to do 30% of your substantive role they might be able to do this, but I'm not certain. I'm sure others will advise.

Also you are volunteering to go so it could be different laws apply although I doubt it. Lastly if you think they might be going to employ someone else couldn't you do this role?

What will any new person do for the other 70% of their time?

As soon as i was given my leaving date i went looking for another job, so i have somewhere else when i finish.

I would guess they would only have them working part time.

It just seems ridiculous that they are making me redundant (so my job doesnt exist) but are employing someone else to do it!!

I thought me volunteering would have an effect on things but wasnt sure....