Barclays Bank - Data Protection Deceased

hagenuk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6493 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just received this letter from Barclays regarding my late father, can anyone advise? I am aware that the DPA does not apply to the deceased but I understand that there is still a duty of care regarding any information held.

I visited my local Woolwich branch soon after he died and was met with questions about when they could expect repayment of his overdraft!

Dear XXXXXXX

DATA PROTECTION ACT MR XXXXXXXXXXX DECEASED

I refer to your letter of xxxx, which has been passed to me for comment to mention of the above legislation.

I am obliged to advise that the Data Protection Act relates only to "living individuals" and does not afford any rights to the deceased.

In the circumstances I would suggest that you seek the assistance of your local Woolwich branch in obtaining the required information.

Yours sincerely

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

I'm afraid the bank is right, the Data Protection Act only applies to living individuals. However, you can still get the statements back. It suprises me they are taking this step, as I have applied for statements with the £10 charge (albeit with Barclays) to be told that there is no charge.... If you have the Grant of Probate you can ask for the statements - they will charge for this, but you will be able to recover this amount together with the charges.

Good Luck

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

I do appreciate that the DPA only applies to living individuals and was somewhat perturbed by the reply from Barclays.

However, this morning I received a reply from The Woolwich who inform me that they have taken responsibility for "fully investigating" this and aim to have a reply to me by early August.

Left hand and right hand perhaps?

Furthermore, Amex sent me all statements relating to my late fathers account today, with no argument.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received