Council Tax Summons - a question?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6483 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

As my local council have made a complete balls up of my council tax, they've issued me with a summons.

What I need to know is can this summons be on councils own paper (it looks quite threatening) or does it have to be issued by the magistrates court..therefore on magistrates paper?

Thanks in advance

Well, they're actually copies but include bank statements, passport copies, tax credit awards, etc.

They said they needed these to process a claim for councilt tax benefit, but they've lost these and can't find the claim, either. I've had this for 5 weeks now, ringing up, and them not ringing back.

I'm worried that somebody could steal our identities with this information, or something worse (is there anything worse??).

Any ideas what to do?

Thanks

I would:

1. Report it to the police. They won't be able to do anything but it should go on the record that a 3rd party has "lost" this info.

2. Write to the relevant council office & also to your councillor stating your displeasure & demanding to know what has happened to your info. If you don't get any joy or aren't satisfied with the response go to the next meeting at the town hall and personally ask the question.

I'm sure there's something on the data protection act that mentions handling info responsibly (which they obviously haven't done). Sure someone who knows the DPA will be along soon who can clarify.

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who's appeared, I can tell you you have a right to appear in court in order to defend yourself. If your case is prepared and you have something to say in your defence, you should make this clear in your pre-court hearing where the Council rep will try to get you to pay upfront and avoid the extra charges. Try visiting the Isitfair campaign website where you will get help if you need it. Call your local press and get them into the Court on the day.

It is probable (near certain) you will pay,but the more of us who make fuss the better. If you'd like a chat mail me at [email protected] and if I can help I will.

I am putting in a claim against my Council for work done by me which should be done out of Council Tax money, so watch my space. Any one with any info/or helpful hints?