What offer shall I make

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5784 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Greetings All.

Been a while since I have been on here, but the housing problem presents itself once again and I need some sound advice.

I am looking at renting the following property -

Property Details

Now the landlord has been fairly outcoming with the fact that he/she doesn't wish to decorate the property or do anything else.

From the pictures, it needs a good lick of pain - which I don't mind doing and a fence needs putting up - the area is ok but you wouldn't leave your gran unattended for a long period of time.

The landlords asking price is £750.00 pcm - taking into account the work that needs to be done and the lack of enthusiasm from the LL to do it - what could I offer to pay ?

Oh also, there isn't a fridge or a freezer in the kitchen.

that seems like an idea. another thought I had last night was a reduction in rent of £100.00 per calendar month. this way that should provide, over enough time the funds required to complete the work. however getting the LL to provide materials (for the fence too) and doing it myself (with some "voluntary help" from friends) could get it done quicker in the short term.

What it could be worth doing(if you want) is check on the land registry website for a small fee when the property was acquired. This will give you an idea of when the property was purchased and how much for, and you will then be able to work out what percentage of the rent the mortgage is. Doesnt neccessarily mean you CAN barter that much, but certainly(for example if the proeprty was bought in the last couple of years) can rule out much bartering.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Ok, according to Up My Street, the property hasn't changed hands since before 2000. However ones around it have shifted a bit. The house its attached to went for £98K in 2000 then for £124K in 2001.

So I am going to assume (that being a dangerous thing) that the property was purchased for less than £98K.

Until I can look up the information that you told me to look for I think I shall work with that.

Sounds to me like the rental might be quite close to the bone, so might not be a massive amount of scope for negotiation.

Have you checked what other properties in the area are advertised rental for?

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

I went to the property today for a full viewing. A few points.

The carpets are filthy and need cleaning.

The whole inside required painting

The garden needs some serious TLC

As mentioned a fence needs to be put up

None of which the Landlord is prepared to do - what a :mad:

He will budge the rent to £700.00 pcm but I think there is some cheek asking for a security deposit and not taking the property to a habitable standard.

If I want the house done up to a presentable state, I have to do it out of my own pocket.

BZ, to be fair, if you dont want the property - dont rent it.

It isnt "uninhabitable", and it isnt like the landlord is conning you, it just needs some superficial decoration and cleaning, which you now know.

If you want it rent it, if you dont dont - but dont complain about the landlord, as he isnt making you rent it!!!