• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Penny v G.E. Money ***WON***

pennypenny
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4375 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received statements today from hubbys Burtons account. They didnt take too long, about 4 weeks, but there are a load missing, although that doesnt surprise me after reading other threads about them.

There are a couple missing from 2004 and 2005 and 2007 which should be quite easy to work out if there are any charges on them, then there are about 4 missing from 2006. I will have to either estimate them or work it out from the statements either side.

I will also be claiming interest, and as there is only about one hundred and odd pounds on the account the refund should pay off the card with some left over.

I'm off to work out the charges:-)

Penny:-)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've finally managed to work the charges out. I worked them out using contractual interest at 29.9% which is the same rate they have been charging us and it comes to over £400 , not bad, just have to get the prelim letter done and send it off :-)

Good Luck, with that. Pennypenny ;)

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Thanks for your good wishes Scott :)

Does anyone know if I just send the prelim used for bank charges with the wording amended to say late payment charges? and do I put in the bit about the OFT test case or do I leave that paragraph out?

There is also a couple of charges that were estimated so how likely are they to pay them back? Their letter says about the missing statements "Due to system issues unfortunately the statements are no longer available to us" so how would they know if there were charges on them anyway?

Thanks,

Penny:)

Hi Penny,

You can jsut use the bank charges one with the wording suitably changed. My GE money letters, etc are on my GE money tread but that isn't how I would do it now. My recent thoughts (and success) on the way to do credit cards are in my Goldfish thread. THat also has compound interest in restitution.

Thanks Steven,

I have had a look on your threads, they are a great help thanks, I also used the spreadsheet on your goldfish thread and the interest worked out more than the one I originally used so thats fine by me:-)

I hope I get away with the estimated charges but as they didnt see fit to send me all my statements then thats their tough luck.

Thanks again,

Penny.

I've a GE thread for my storecards -- some statements were missing so I just put on charges for those. I got them all back. good luck penny - I'm sure you'll get them back (they don't take too long to reply either) x

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

That was quick:eek: they replied yesterday to my prelim, but with an offer which is nowhere near enough. They have offered £45 which is the proportion of the charges that exceed £12. Thanks but no thanks.

So onwards and upwards, I shall wait till the 2 weeks is up and then off with the LBA. I will add a bit at the beginning accepting their offer as partial settlement but I will be going after the rest.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I have been slightly distracted with other matters lately and have left this claim at the bottom of the pile somewhat.

The last word I heard off G.E. is that basically I will be getting no more than £45.00 so get lost. Looks like I'm off to court then. Its a long time since I've done this so any help will be greatly appreciated:)

• 4 months later...

Hi:)

Due to mainly lack of money I still have not got any further with this, and would really like to get back on track.

Since it has been 8 months since I sent the LBA to them should I start again from the prelim or re do the LBA to jog their memory a bit?

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

I finally got around to putting in a court claim for my G E Money charges and they have defended it already. The letter that came with the defence says that the filing of an allocation questionaire be dispensed with in this case unless the District Judge at the court of transfer orders otherwise. I am a bit rusty with court claims having not done one in a while so any help would be gratefully recieved:)

Do I now just wait until a court date comes through or is there anything I should be doing in the meantime. I seem to remember sending a schedule of charges to the solicitors at one point but cannot remember when. Oh, I am gonna so mess it up:???:

Hi Penny

Reading your thread with great interest we wrote to GE Money approx 3 weeks ago from Suject Access Request for 5 accounts my Daughter had with them all paid off but stacks off charges to claim (Seems like they may not reply hoping we shall go away).

I cant imagine what it like to be at the court stage but please do not give up now and let these b*****s off with your hard earned money.

We shall all be keeping our fingers legs arm toes anything crossed for you and I am sure there is plenty off people on here who will help you through it, this site is the best thing since sliced bread

Good Luck Keep your chin up I have every confidence in you and this site.

GO FOR IT>>>>

Cheers

afw

Thanks for your support afw. Good luck with your claims, G E are very stubborn and try to tell you that a £12 charge is acceptable, and they also seem to miss out some statements, they did with mine and most others I have read.

I agree with you that this site is the best, it has helped me a lot and I would be in a worse financial state if I hadnt found it;)

keep us posted on how your claims are going:)

Penny

I am still waiting for a court date. I filed the claim with MCOL and they have transfered it to my local court after G E Money defended the claim. I think I have to wait for a court date from my local court. I'm kind of hoping it doesnt get that far though:(

Hi All,

I am having the same nonsense with Santander who state that the OFT agreed that a £12 fee is reasonable and that they won't refund the charges.

I have now written to them again stating that they are punitive charges and therefore unlawful. This is a letter that I am sending them before issuing a Letter Before Action.

These companies really GRIND MY GEARS!!!!!