Barclays Sent out my Personal Info to the WRONG Address

lauricha

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4519 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

This is my first post on the forum, if it's in the wrong place please feel free to move it!

I'll start from the beginning.

My husband and I are Barclays customers. We moved home April 2007.

I have been trying to open a Tax Haven ISA with Barclays for the past month. For some reason, my address had not been updated, although everything in our joint names had. As a result, all our statements have been coming to our new address. As I have nothing solely in my name, nothing has been delivered to my old address.

I hope that makes sense!

Anyway, I called up about three to four times to try and set up the ISA, but as the address was wrong they couldn't set one up. I asked the online banking team to change the address, they confirmed they had done. I called up again to set up an ISA and again, the address was my old one, they couldn't set the ISA up.

I gave it up as a lost cause.

Last Friday, I had a call from the resident of our old address saying she had seen something she shouldn't have. When we met up, she handed me an opened letter from Barclays dated 29th May 2008. It was a letter addressed to me stating that my ISA application has been unsucessful. Now, every advisor I spoke to knew that the reason I couldn't proceed with the ISA: the address was incorrect. So why they sent me a letter detailing this I have no idea. They all knew we did not live there anymore.

As I turned the page, I realised what the resident had seen. It was a blue sheet of paper with ALL my details on it.

Barclays customer number

Full Name

Post code (which is incidentally the correct postcode)

DOB

Mothers Maiden Name

NI number

Sort Code and Account number

They had sent this information, knowingly to the wrong address. I am fuming. This letter is dated the 29th May, so for the past 15 days it had been with the new resident of the address. I have no idea who has seen it, or who may have copied the information.

The letter with the information stated this:

We're unable to open your ISA account as we need to confirm the personal details we hold for you. So that we can process your application, please could you visit a local Branch with this letter, the enclosed application form and some valid ID (driving licence, passport etc) and address verification (recent utility bill) to enable us to confirm your details.

As it was sent to the wrong address anyone could have gone to the bank, confirmed it was all fine, and transferred money from my account to theirs!!

I called Barclays demanding an explanation. The woman I spoke to was very apologetic and filed the complaint with the relevant team. I demanded to know what they were going to offer in the way of compensation. She said she was not authorised to offer anything, however a letter will be sent detailing the complaint and any compensation they offer.

I would love to know where I legally stand on this. I am, at the moment, currently checking my bank account online every hour or so to see if anything is askew. However anyone could use that information to forge credit in my name, a false passport... anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Lauricha,

There are 2 issues here really:-

1) Barclays failure to process info you've provided re your address which has meant you could NOT open your ISA when you wanted. If you feel you have suffered any loss through this such as loss of interest, etc or through wasted phone calls, letters and your time, you can ask B's for compensation.

2) The disclosure to a 3rd party of your ALL your personal details is a very serious matter and should be reoprted to the ICO - Information Commissioner's Office - ICO

You should consider having this a/c closed and a new one opened because of possible fraud (hopefully not likely as the recipient was good enough to call and alert you.

Read the ICO link, decide how to proceed and do it. You could always speak to B's 1st to see if they would like to make you an offer for your inconvenience as this sort of breach is taken seriously.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Many thanks for your help slick132. I will wait until Friday for a letter or phonecall. If nothing happens I'll call them and let them know I'm reporting them to the ICO and will be filing a claim for loss of interest and distress caused.

So far bank accounts seem normal, however I'm still maintaining close scrutiny. If so much as a penny goes missing then I'll be right back onto them!!!

Hi Lauricha,

If you WERE to file a claim, the loss of interest would have to be quantifiable and would, I suspect, be quite small. Whether you could file for distress, I'm not sure but you can claim for any costs this has caused you and for the aggravation.

Perhaps someone with better knowledge can help you here.

You have a duty to protect your a/c and, knowing the details have been leaked, it would be wise to tell the bank to close your a/c and open a new one with a new card.

As this may be a hassle you want to avoid, you should at least write to the bank and warn them that they will be wholly responsible for any fraud or loss suffered as a result of their disclosing your details.

I really think a new a/c is the answer though.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks again lovely, I read through the ICO website and it advised to write to Barclays outlining again what has happened and what I expect from them in terms of compensation, as a goodwill gesture. I suggested a year subscription to Experian as that should help put my mind at ease.

Will be changing acc details in the morning. Like you said, the possibility of fraud is still playing on my mind. It's just so much hassle really.

Considering they are meant to be a national bank with such a good reputation it astonishes me how slack handed they have been. If I was to go into a bank to confirm my details I'm hardly going to need a print out, am I.

Thanks again lovely

Please let me know what happens, this happened to me last week, all my bank statements sent to wrong address and the apology I received from barclays apologised for sending a letter to wrong address!! A Letter? All my bank statements and financial transactions for 3 months on 5 accounts!! Please do post a follow up!

Hi JJ, and welcome to CAG.

I think you should follow the advice in post #2 above and make a complaint to the ICO.

Also, if you feel financially at risk by the disclosure of all your personal details, you should tell the bank you require new a/c's to replace the old ones immediately.

Ask for the bank's suggestion as regards compensation for this matter.

Please also start your own thread for this by using the New Thread button on the Barclays main forum page, so as not to further hijack this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya,

jojonson, sorry to hear thats happened to you too.

Well, further info.

I recieved no phonecall at all from Barclays. Due to a busy week I didn't call, however the lady that my details were sent to called me again, saying another letter had come through for me... guess who from? Barclays.

It basically is an apology for everything that's happened, and for the info being sent to the wrong address!!!!

I called up again asking why the heck this happened, they fobbed me off with the fact the the address is stored on a number of different computers and the imbecile that tried to change the address before didn't change the complaints address. Sounds like they can't be bothered really.

I explained that this is not on, and asked what they were going to do about it. She said there's nothing they can offer, just an apology. I asked them about providing Experian cover for me for a year, she said they could credit £30 to my account so I can use that to check up every month and ensure everything is in order. This is an insult.

I left it to my husband to decide whether to accept this (it would have meant no further action couls be taken) he said to wait until the 8 weeks are up in which time they should come up with something better.

Anyway, got another phonecall today. ANother letter has been sent to my old address. Guess who from? Barclays. Except, as jojonson has found, this wasn;t another apology, it was a list of all my accounts as well as sort codes and money in those accounts.

How moronic can they be? My husband called up Barclays as I was fuming and they have offered another apology. He threatened reporting them to the ICO and the papers and they couldn't have cared less. I believe her words were 'Go to the papers then, and why not find another bank as well!'

I have until the end of August to wait for them to offer suitable compensation, however I will be letting the papers know about their incompetence and reporting them straight away.

Hi Lauricha,

This should have been put in the hands of the ICO at the outset. Clearly the bank isn't taking the situation seriously - the ICO should help them to focus !!

Type a brief summary of the main points re documents going to the wrong person, and the dates on which you called the bank.

Send it to the ICO and copy the ICO letter to Barclays.

• 1 year later...

I should really update this, considering it happened a year ago!

I contacted the ICO who informed me they'd look into the matter. In the meantime, they asked me to contact Barclays and inform then the ICO are involved, and they themselves would follow up with this obvious lack of interest in the situation.

I called Barclays and spoke to a manager, who again said sorry about it blah blah blah. I then mentioned the ICO and the tune changed. She was to personally see to it that all records were changed, and in return they would credit my account £100 and send some flowers for the inconvenience.

I took her name and contacted the ICO with this information, and whadda know? An hour later we had the credited money, a day later we got the flowers, an apology letter and a card!

Thanks so much for your advice on here, I really feel it helped me in getting compensation for the HOURS I spent talking to them, as well as avoiding a potential fraud minehole.

xx

Hi Lauricha ,

Thanks for the update and delighted to hear of the positive outcome.

Just shows that sometimes they CAN listen and put things right. :)