Jump to content

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4682 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Apologies is this is covered elsehwhere but I couldnt seem to find it.


My mother-in-law is now of pensionable age. Her husband (now deceased) worked as a miner and she is therefore entitled to a pension (from the NCB I think).


The DWP have recently assessed her case and it has been decided that she is over the allowable limit and therefore is liable for some rent and council tax. Im not sure of the EXACT figures but its something like:

State pension is £104 per week.

NCB pension is £38.75 per week. (Actually its £155 every 4 weeks so they have divided this by 4)


This is a total of £142.75 which is £18 more than the allowed £124.

She is now therfore liable for £22 a week rent and approx. £10 a week council tax.

(Which of course makes her weekly income now £110). Only £6 more than the regular £104. Now £6 is £6 but is this seems a little harsh.

Oh and of course it took them 2 months to establish this, and they have backdated the 'overpayment' and she now therefore has rent and council tax arrears !


Any advice anyone ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what advice you are looking for really, but the HB and CT rules are quite strict on contributions based income over the basic benefit level.

You could check Start Calculation to see if it has been calculated correctly.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...