• Tweets

• No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Urgent (Abbey) Repossession Advice Needed!!!!!!

lanesra14
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3655 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

My bank (Abbey) began repossession hearings against us (£4500 arrears), we pay £727 per month.

Attended court 3 weeks ago and Abbey representative failed to show. Sat in front of the judge on my own and he ordered that "the matter be adjourned generally with liberty to restore", also advised that we make a written offer to the bank to clear the arrears (which we did immediatley).

Bank wrote back and stated they would continue with repossesion claiming that they HAD attended and the judgement was made in their favour.

I rang the court and asked how this could be, woman was not helpful, said she couldn't check and besides, the judgement had not yet been written out as they were "overworked". Advised that I wait a few days for the written order in the post.

Waited 1 week and still nothing. Called the court again and explained the urgency (20th June deadline!) She confirmed the case had been adjourned! And faxed me copy of the judgement to that effect.

So I thought I had a case for malpractice against the bank, until I received a SECOND judgement letter on Saturday ordering the repossession!!! Same Claim Number, different Judge.

What should I do given that I now only have 2 days to sort this out?

Can anybody help!!!!!

1st letter (Dated 10 June) says:

"General for of order

On the 23rd May.....

Upon hearing representative representing Abbey...and upon hearing from the Defendant

IT IS ORDERED THAT:

This matter be adjourned generally with liberty to restore

This matter be struck out if not restored the 31st Aug

2nd letter (Dated 11 June) says:

"Order for possession...

On the 23rd May.....

Upon hearing representative representing Abbey...and upon Mr...not attending.

This order has been made on discretionary grounds and the court orders that...

1. The defendant give the claimant possesstion of........on or before 20 June

2. There be money judgement in the sum of £........not to be enforced without courts permission.

Hi there, you need to go to the court with the 2 orders and get them to establish how this has happened. I suspect that you will have to submit a N244 to the court asking for a hearing to clarify the matter and confirm your proposal to clear the arrears.

Nothing should happen on the 20th June anyway, you would need to receive a notice of eviction from the court advising what date you should vacate the property. Given the situation with the 2 judgements - I think I can safely say that you will not receive an eviction notice.

However it is important that you visit the court to sort this out, rather than do it over the telephone. They should be able to give you the N244 form you need for the application hearing - they should also waive the cost of the application as there has been a discrepancy in the court process.

Let us know how you get on with the court and we can help you with the N244 if necessary.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Can I just clarify - on the two court orders it will say the name of the District Judge who made the Order - is it the same or different. It sounds like the court have screwed it up.

As Ell-enn says don't panic it is sort outable.

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

As it sounds like the other side turned up as well. I think that you may well have to set both orders aside and have the case reheard. I would suggest that you write to the other side and enclose copies of both orders and ask if they will agree to setting both orders aside and to a rehearing.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

Mortgage Repossessions

Both freehold and leasehold owner occupation can, and frequently will, be subject to a mortgage. The mortgage deeds contain a variety of terms which usually states that when the occupier falls into arrears with the repayments that the lender has the right to evict the occupier and sell the property.

Demand for Arrears

Before legal proceedings are started, the lender will normally issue a formal demand for all the arrears to be paid. They are not obliged by law to do this, but in practice the Court will not look kindly upon a lender who has not given the occupier a chance to bring their arrears up to date.

The lender cannot evict the occupier without an Order for possession from the County Court. The Court is not obliged to grant the possession immediately and has the power to grant a suspended order for possession on condition that the occupier continues to pay current instalments and a fixed amount off the arrears.

Suspended Possession Orders - Homeowners

The Court will only exercise this discretion if it is of the view that the arrears can be cleared in a reasonable time. (Administration of Justice Act 1970, s.36; Town & Country Building Society v Julien, 1991). If it does not think this can be done, then the order will be final. This will usually be suspended for at least 28 days to give the occupier time to make alternative arrangements.

Reasonable Time to Clear the Arrears

There is no formal definition of reasonable time. Until recently, the courts had normally considered one year a reasonable time in which to clear the arrears (Cheltenham & Gloucester B.S v Grant, 1994). It has now been said that the Court should take as its starting point the full period of the mortgage. In most cases individuals would probably only need to spread their arrears over one to two years which the Courts are likely to consider as reasonable.

Need for Consent

It is really important that an occupier experiencing difficulties informs the lender . Work out how much you can afford to pay towards your arrears and put your proposals in writing to the mortgage company. The clearer the proposals, the greater the chances of success. The larger, more reputable companies do not as a matter of course, want to see occupiers evicted and the properties sold. Their money comes, after all, from keeping mortgages in existence and receiving interest on them.

I have personally helped a Friend use the above in Court (on the Day before the Balliffs were due) The Judge was going to refuse but we mentioned that we would appeal, and the Judge finally agreed to suspend possession for 3 months so my friend could sell, although they had to make some payments during that time.

regards

JC

Edited by jannercobbler

If my posts have helped you please use the scales at the top of my posts :)

Any opinions from Jannercobbler are strictly my own and I have no affiliation with any group or services.

The two most beautiful words in the English Language are "Cheque Enclosed" - Dorothy Parker

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/399-abbey-letter-sent.html

Me v Abbey - £3000 + Int + Costs + Credit File Cleaned.

LBA Sent 12/3/06

Court Claim started - 31/5/2006

Allocation Questionnaire Filed - 24/7/06

Court Date allocated 31/10/2006

Me v Citi-Cards - CCA Sent 27/07/06

Me v Citi-Cards - Data Protection Act Sent 03/08/06

Me v Capital One - Data Protection Act Sent 03/08/06

Me v Hillesden Securities - CCA Sent 03/08/06

Me v Hillesden Securities - DPA Sent 03/08/06

There is a great book - published by the Legal Action Group and written by Nic Madge (he's a district judge) called defending possession proceedings - well worth reading.

Recent stats show that if you are represented at a possession hearing you have a much greater chance of avoiding eviction - as JC says if a warrant for eviction is obtained you have a chance of suspending it right up to the end. Don't forget the process is that they get an order that you leave by a certain date. You don't they then apply for a warrant of eviction. The County Court bailiff tells you its' been issue and you then apply to suspend it.

Hi I dont know as to whether you can read the thread we had when Halifax tried to repossess our property (worth looking at) Came to this site and people were very helpful. You need to go to the court and see someone who will talk to you and give you advice, they are based there, tell them what has happened (asap) We had been told that we need not bother going to the court as we had paid most of arrears. We decided to turn up anyway and low and behold there they were. We had been advised on this site that always turn up and this is great advice.

this rep asked us whether we wanted her to come into the court with us but we didnt need it. She was so re-assuring and made us feel a lot better. These places are looking to repossess in my opinion, but having this service in court is great. We knew we had to move very quickly.

If you are on low wages you can also get free help and representation

makeitbetter is absolutely right - many courts have duty adviser schemes where free advice and representation are provided. Those advisers are often excellent and will help to avoid possession.

As makeitbetter points out legal advice/representation from Solicitors is also available, if you qualify on low income grounds. Check with the Legal Sevices Comission for the nearest Solicitors with debt and or housing franchise

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I have currently been given a court date for the repoession hearing of my property. I moved out of the property around 11 months and me and my partner seperated. He then stopped making mortgage payments so we fell into arrears. Since October no one has been able to get in touch with him and when i have managed he rufused to sell the property, sign it over to me or for me to sign it over to him. So i have been left with no other options be allow reposession to take place. I sought legal advice and the only thing they said i could do would be put into the courts for a compulsary sale order but the legal fees would be around 8k, and i do not qualify for any form of financial support.

Just after a little advice really.

• 3 years later...

Hello

We received a Notice of Eviction after accruing arrears over the last 3 months due to the mortgage switching from Interest only (CMI of £355 + £100 towards arrears) on a previous suspended order from June 2012.

All was OK until the CMI went up to £840 which we honestly cannot afford right now. We contacted the lender (big red high street bank) about switching back to Interest Only until our finances improved as we clear some debts. They advised to keep paying what we had agreed in the meantime, but to contact their Solicitors about applying to switch mortgage.

I spoke to the solicitors who first said it would likely be unsuccessful to try that since it was at the discretion of the bank and "they don't normally allow customers to switch to Repayment Only more than once".

But since we now have an eviction notice for the 8th Jan, will the judge accept the reason why we have accrued these arrears, and that we are in the process of switching from repayment to Interest Only which we can afford. I can show proof that we have honoured the original agreement when CMI was 355.

I'm also worried that we have used the N244 before now. Will the judge think we're taking the proverbial? Although I would go to court 100 times to protect our home.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Hi lanesra14

This isnt my area of expertise but please be patient other will be along to advise and help you.

I will flag this to site team for help due to the impending eviction date for you.

• Haha 1

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks for flagging this up stu007, I have sent a pm to Ell-enn asking her to help, not sure if she will be back online tonight but I'm sure she will be sometime tomorrow.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Many Thanks maroondevo52

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

hi everyone,

i wondered if anybody has any advice on our situation. We appreciate there is a strong chance we'll lose our home since there is a big increase in what we have to to pay monthly, and very little time to do anything. Total arrears are £3600 and we had 12 yrs remaining on the mortgage. We just need guidance as to what's a realistic expectation given the situation.

Many thanks again

Hi there, the mortgage providers are supposed to use repossession as a last resort. If they can change you from repayment to interest only, meaning that you would not be in arrears or be able to pay them off then, in my humble opinion, that is what they should be doing. I'm not aware of the protocol in England but have just gone through it in Scotland and have had the case dismissed due to them not following pre-action protocol. I hope somebody comes along soon to help you but if you need to get any forms in prior to the eviction date then go ahead and do it. I don't think any judge will think you are taking the proverbial. We are living in hard times and they are dealing with these things every day in huge numbers. Please do your best to contest this before it is allowed to go through.... Best of luck. I don't think that any judge will take your home from you for these arrears when you are willing to pay interest only and a payment on top. I genuinely feel these mortgage providers are too quick to take people for repossession. It's immoral....although not illegal.

Great news is that the eviction was suspended. Judge was satisfied that we were doing something to sort the situation out and that the repayment amount would only be temporarily unaffordable whilst we either got a decision on switching back or we arranged our affairs to manage the repayment CMI. Gives us a bit of time to explore our options. Thanks for the encouragement gemspan, helped us remain a little positive, but very nervous throughout.

This site has saved our home once again.

That's good to hear, let us know how you get on.

• 5 months later...

Hi there,

We have an URGENT update on this situation:

We had a Suspension of Eviction granted after the judge ordered that should pay a fixed amount each month (which was lower than the CMI) for 6 months (ending June), after-which we would then begin to pay CMI+£100 towards arrears. This order has been kept to with no defaults, however we recently received a "Notice of Hearing of Application" (N244A) Notice, stating that the claimant has applied for an Amended Order, and thee hearing is in 2 weeks.

We have a couple of concerns....

1. If the judge already stated in his previous order that we would pay CMI + £100 towards arrears AFTER the fixed monthly payment arrangement ended after 6 months (which it now has), what would the claimant be trying to achieve by seeking to Amend the court's order?

2. Since the CMI is much higher than the fixed monthly payment we've been paying (an increase of £350 ,although it still just about affordable), could they be trying to argue that we cant afford our home and seek to have our home repossessed at this hearing?

What steps should we take ahead of this hearing to ensure we don't get a nasty surprise on this day? I'm assuming there is no question about whether we need to attend, even though we have not received any copies of their N244 application. (Would we even receive this?)

I would appreciate any advice that anybody can give in this situation.

Kind regards,

Hi,

I've 'flagged' this up for Site Team.

Hi there, did you not receive any details of their N244 i.e. what amendment they are looking for ?

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi Ell-enn,

Strangely enough, got home after work this evening to find a letter (Notice of Adjourned Hearing) from the local court to say the hearing had been adjourned with liberty to restore.

Does this mean they have gone away....for now.

But why would they have applied in the first place?

Hi, perhaps they have decided to wait and see if you maintain the higher payments.