OSIS database information wrong, no one will help!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5782 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, hope you can help.

I recently looked on Business Type - The Phone Book from BT (owned by BT) to find my fathers number. Searched by surname, and lo and behold, theres my name listed next to a phone number(which ive never had) and my current address.

Needless to say, not overly happy that a) the information is wrong and b) my address is in the public domain. Looked into it, seems it is supplied by OSIS database, which is owned by BT.

Spoke to my mobile provider, who confirmed that it WAS their number, they wouldnt confirm whether it is now, but could confirm it was never attached to my name.

Spoke to BT, who have never heard of either the site or OSIS, and advised I contact OFCOM!!

Anyone any ideas on where I go next/??

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

The number is the key. You need to discover which telco 'owns' it, and with this information use it to get the incorrect entry removed. There are times this is harder to do than you would think, as clearly looking at a phone number, you cannot tell whether it is native or ported from another carrier.

Only the owner can amend/remove items from OSIS, but if the entry has been corrupted (as it appears here) then once the owner network updates the record, the database takes 7-10 days to filter though to the DQ and online services.

How do I get to discover who owns it? I have been told that they cant tell me due to data protection!!!

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Well, the sneaky way is to call BT faults. Say the line appears to be faulty, but you're not sure if the line is their's or not. They usually tell you if it isn't, and give you the number to call too! Data protection? Makes you wonder, doesn't it!

Edited by buzby

Unfortunately not that simple - its a mobile number!!

07930 buzby

I've been informed not, as the number MAY not still be theirs.

It's gone a bit further now, and is being investigated by the charimans office of BT - never heard of this department before, anyone got any experience of them?

Yes. They take escalated complaints. That said their involvement will be only insofar as the OSIS data element, not the number ownership. Actually, all numbers belong to OFCOM, who rent them to the networks. T-Mobile will still be the beneficial user of the number. Of course, it MAY still be ported to another carrier, but it is only ever on loan. If it's use ceased, it reverts back to T-Mobile.

• Haha 1

.... Actually, all numbers belong to OFCOM, who rent them to the networks. T-Mobile will still be the beneficial user of the number. Of course, it MAY still be ported to another carrier, but it is only ever on loan. If it's use ceased, it reverts back to T-Mobile.

Useful to know. Thanks for that bit of info Buzby.

(Sorry MrShed... you can have your thread back now :rolleyes:)

No gni thats fine - it is a useful tidbit!

I dont care about the ownership of the number to be honest - just want the info removing!

That dept have today said they cant help, needs to go to OFCOM or whoever put the number on there, which of course they cant tell me.

Surely this is a simple case of Data Protection, and BT(as they own the database) must remove it upon request??? Irrespective of who put it on there?

The way it has been set up, the entity that enters the number is the only one allowed to remove it, hence BT's lack of involvement. I'd still pursue T-Mobile as they are the culprits losest to the smoking gun. Failing this, a complaint to the ICO, stating that you have attempted to have this erroneous entry removed, but nobody's interested in doing so. This is why it is important to get T-Mobile to refuse your request in writing.

Sorry buzby not ignoring you, just following a different path at the moment:

The way I see it, BT are the Data Controllers in this case. Therefore, they have a legal obligation to remove erroneous and/or personal information on request. I've emailed the chairmans office to state this obligation, and refusal to do so will be a contravention of the DPA, and should they not be willing to do so, I have asked for confirmation in writing so I can report them to the Information Commissioner and OFCOM.

You can certainly play footsie with the ICO and start a letter-writing campaign, however if the aim is to resolve the issue quickly, it is always best to go to the source - which in this case is T-Mobile. Complaints to the ICO take in excess of 6 week to process, add to this there is no sanction you can bring that recompenses you for your time and effort. I learned the hard way years ago - now, I take the shortest route and get MUCH more satisfaction!

T-Mobile are denying all knowledge though unfortunately.

Dont suppose you have any contact details for them buzby?

That would be great buzby, thanks a lot!!!

The number I had didn't work, but I spoke with another T-Mobile contact there about ypur problem and whilst I've not got all the details, they've suggested I should pass on that persons contact details to you and they should be able to sort you out. As soon as I've got the relevant info, I'll PM you with it.

• Haha 1

Thanks buzby - much appreciated!!

UPDATE:

BT acknowledged they had to do something - did an emergency delete off the system yesterday and my details are now gone! :D

They confirmed it was T-Mobile who added the details, which irritates me as when I spoke to them I asked them directly "so you are confirming for me that this addition has nothing whatsoever to do with you" and they said no :mad: but never mind...