Recording Telephone Conversations

intersimi
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1850 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have just tested it and I can record telephone conversations on my mobile phone. I have a Sony Ericsson 800i. I was sure I could do it on one of my older phones too.

Basically, once the conversation has started, press 'more' key, then scroll down to 'record' and press it.

:)

regards,

InterSimi

Does anyone know how the law treats recording telephone conversations in this regard? Can I use it as evidance? Do I have to inform them that I am recording? Can I upload it here and still use it in court?

regards,

InterSimi

I think you do, but will check. Everyone you call tells you that your call be be

recorded.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

There is nothing to stop you recording a call as long as you do not tamper with equipmemt which is not yours i.e. BT telephone lines.

There is no need to give warnings that the call is being recorded.

There is no confidentiality in the call unless you have agreed with the other person in advance or there are other circumstances which make it clear that the conversation is subject to a duty of confidenatiality.

If you overhear someone else's call which is clearly of a confidential nature in circumstances which are clearly intended to be confidential then there is confidence in the recording.

There have been suggestions in other threads on this forum that warnings must be given. This is wrong.

There's a coincidence:-

Consent issue

It is not illegal for individuals to tape conversations providing the recording is for their own use, under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA).

It is a civil, not criminal, matter if a conversation or email has been recorded and shared unlawfully.

And, legally, recording or monitoring are only prohibited where some of the contents of the communication are made available to a third party.

If a person intends to make the conversation available to a third party, they must first obtain the consent of the person being recorded.

Source and full story:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4800172.stm

However, I disagree that permission must first be obtained in order to use the recording where there is no obligation of confidence. Furthermore, there is no confidence in iniquity. See my post on this point in Legalities at

http://www.bankactiongroup.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152

If a person intends to make the conversation available to a third party, they must first obtain the consent of the person being recorded.

So basically, I can make the recording without warning, but If I wish to share it with everyone here, I must obtain concent.

I think, that as it could be construded as training material, that If I were to say "I am recording this conversation for training or legal purposes" then I am covered to post it here.

Plus, as no Bank representative is allowed to view this forum under the forums Terms and Conditions, then I am covered :)

regards,

InterSimi

No.

You can make a recording and you can share it with everyone without permission if the circumstances are such that the contents of the conversation are not confidential.

You will have to look at the circumstances of each case.

I would not give a warning under any circumstances.

Is there not another issue of whether any statements recorded would be admissible in court?

I am assuming this based, amongst other things, on the fact that NOTHING you say to a police officer can be used against you unless you have first been cautioned, in other words, the warning that what you are about to say will be recorded (in one way or another).

Of course, this is criminal law, civil law may well be different.

Statement to police officers are quite a different matter and relate to the right not to be obliged to incriminate yourself.

If a recording has been obtained by lawful means then I see no basis for excluding it from evidence in court - especially if it contains evidence of iniquity.

FYI (it is in the Lloyds scetion)

I have given them the warning of recording the conversation for "training and monitoring purposes". Both people were quite happy to agree, although the Indian call center lady was taken back a bit.

regards,

InterSimi

Chief Constable of the Met has been found to record phone conversations with various departments and officials. (Sky news today).

The also stated that there is no legal comeback for recording a conversation, even without warning *as long as the recording is for personal use*.

Now what constitutes personal use is another thing.

As another point. I would imagine that if you told a bank remployee that you were recordig the conversation they would just refuse to speak to you. I may be wrong tho.

Paul

Halifax Status

LBA Sent 11/04/06

1/3 offered by phone 20/04/06 - Rejected

BCT Status

Statements Recieved 31/03/06

Capital One Status

Recieved Lie/Reply 24/04/06

I have always thought that if you record a call without telling someone then it isn't admissable as evidence in a court case.

Also, I've recorded calls to First Direct before and the 2 advisors that I did it with (oh er matron!) were fine with that, and they understood my need to do so.

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

First Direct Unlawful Bank Charges: Settled in Full 12/05/06 | £2235.50

Chief Constable of the Met has been found to record phone conversations with various departments and officials. (Sky news today).

The also stated that there is no legal comeback for recording a conversation, even without warning *as long as the recording is for personal use*.

Now what constitutes personal use is another thing.

As another point. I would imagine that if you told a bank remployee that you were recordig the conversation they would just refuse to speak to you. I may be wrong tho.

Yep, you are wrong. They were completely fine saying yes.

I believe that, just like a policemans notepad, the notepad itself is inabmissable as evidance, but the police man can use his notepad to read from the "jog" his memory in court.

Likewise the recording for "personal use" is just that. You can record any conversation you like as long as you don't show anyone.

I informed the bank that I will be using it for "training, monitoring and legal reasons". Hence I can post it here as it could be regarded as training material and it can be used for other people in the legal process as to prove no manual intervention

regards,

InterSimi

Likewise the recording for "personal use" is just that. You can record any conversation you like as long as you don't show anyone.

Wrong, sorry.

The situation is as I have said all the way though this thread and others.

If you have some authority to the contrary then please disclose it. Otherwise your information is unhelpful to the other users.

It's not a question of stepping on toes. I am happy to be shown that I am wrong as I can adjust my thinking and change my opinions.

I am aware of the law of trespass to property and of the legislation relating to the interception of telecommunications. I am also aware of the law relating to the legal/eqitable duty of confidence. I am also aware of the state of the law relating to privacy in this country.

From these factors I have arrived at certain conclusions as to the recording of conversations and the usefulness of those recordings.

You are very clearly of a different opinion. Please will you let us have the authority for your view. It is very important.

It is just that I have found these:

http://security.homeoffice.gov.uk/news-and-publications1/publication-search/ripa-cop/interception-cop?view=Html

(see the last section - without a warrant)

and also this:

http://www.retellrecorders.co.uk/legal/home.htm

The key piece of information for me seems to be this quote from the above link:

Can I record telephone conversations on my home phone?

Yes. The relevant law, RIPA, does not prohibit individuals from recording their own communications provided that the recording is for their own use. Recording or monitoring are only prohibited where some of the contents of the communication - which can be a phone conversation or an e-mail - are made available to a third party, ie someone who was neither the caller or sender nor the intended recipient of the original communication. For further information see the Home Office website where RIPA is posted.

Do I have to let people know that I intend to record their telephone conversations with me?

No, provided you are not intending to make the contents of the communication available to a third party. If you are you will need the consent of the person you are recording.

To me it seems quite cut and dry, that unless both parties of the telephone conversation agree to it, you are not allowed to disclose the telephone conversation to anyone else. So me informing them that It is used for training,monitoring and legal purposes covers me.

I understand what you have said Bankfodder, but you must understand my situation. I have a moderator of a forum telling me one thing and I am reading an article from the homeoffice telling me another. In either case, it does not harm to tell them that I am recording.

Just tell me to shut up, if I am going on, or out of order.

regards,

InterSimi

I agree that of coure, if you warn people that you cover yourself completely. It is a failsafe thing to do. I don't think that it is necessary. However, thanks for your sources, I'll try to go through them carefully and let you know what I think.

Yes. The relevant law, RIPA, does not prohibit individuals from recording their own communications provided that the recording is for their own use. Recording or monitoring are only prohibited where some of the contents of the communication - which can be a phone conversation or an e-mail - are made available to a third party, ie someone who was neither the caller or sender nor the intended recipient of the original communication. For further information see the Home Office website where RIPA is posted.

Do I have to let people know that I intend to record their telephone conversations with me?

No, provided you are not intending to make the contents of the communication available to a third party. If you are you will need the consent of the person you are recording.

To me it seems quite cut and dry, that unless both parties of the telephone conversation agree to it, you are not allowed to disclose the telephone conversation to anyone else. So me informing them that It is used for training,monitoring and legal purposes covers me.

There has to be an interception in the course of transmission and I am not convinced that there is

Well today on The Jeremy Vine show they were discussing the Ian Blair case about him recording the conversation with the attourney general. Apparently that's right that you can record a conversation with someone for your own use but if you want to then use it or let it be heard by someone else then you have to have the third party permission...and if Jeremy Vine says so then it must be true!

Thats 4 in the BAG!!!!

(£509.60amex..£396.31 Halifax credit card....£768.47+£783.99 Halifax current account)

so crooked they use a corkscrew for a ruler!(allegedly)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1850 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks