• Tweets

• love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Not being paid!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5762 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My girlfriend works in a cafe which recently closed for refurbishment during this time she was told that she would still be working to help refurbish tidy the place up...etc

She would normally get paid on each friday but for the 3 weeks the owner has said she cannot afford to pay her or any of the other staff as the cafe has not been takin any money while closed. She has managed to get £60 off her by going into the cafe today demanding some money as she has a child to feed.

The owner is now also saying that no one went through the books during the period it has been closed so the owner says she will not be getting paid minimum wages for these 3 weeks.

Is this legal? Is there anything we can do to get money owed

Thanks

Mark

The simple answer is that the employer cannot simply suspend your girlfriend's contract of employment whilst they are closed unless there is a clause within the contract which allows them to do so, or unless she agreed by mutual consent to a period of being laid off without pay. In the absence of such a clause, failure to pay is classed as an unlawful deduction.

Does she actually have a written contract? Not neccessarily an issue as the terms can be implied based on custom and practice. How long has she been working there? What exactly does the employer mean by 'no one went through the books'? Does the employer deduct tax and NI from wages or is it a 'cash in hand' arrangement (if the latter then you may have a problem!).

The fact that there has been no money coming in is not your girlfriend's concern and wages should have been factored into the cost of refurbishment. I would suggest that your GF writes to the employer stating that it had been agreed that she would work on other duties to assist during the refit and understood that she would be paid her normal wages throughout. She appreciates that the owner has not been receiving income from customers during the refurbishment, but hopes that he understands that this is not her concern, for unfortunately household bills cannot be set aside during the period that the shop is closed. She understands that Section 13 of the Employment Rights Act 1996 makes any deduction from (other than those due under statute or made by written agreement with the employee) or non-payment of wages unlawful. Consequently she trusts that the wages due to date, less the amount of £60 net already paid, will be forthcoming within the next few days.

If the wages are not paid, then this is a matter for a Tribunal to order the payment.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thanks for your reply. She does not have a contract she has worked there for about a year but in this year she had 2 months at another job then went back to the cafe.

She has not agreed verbally to be paid cash in hand or to accept anything less than what she would get went open normally but the boss is saying that everyone agreed to this before they closed which is a complete lie as she would not have agreed to this in the first place.

She said that no one went through the books for the time it was being refurbished so basically made it look like there was no staff working during this time so she is able to pay them whatever she feels like.

Thanks again

She should have been given the contract shortly after she started working there. A contract does exist and she should ask for a copy of it. As for not going through the books, sorry but can't help you there. No doubt sidewinder will be along shortly to fill you in in more detail.

In the meantime you might find this useful. Acas - Employment contracts

HALIFAX: 13/01/07 Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter (marked as rec'd 16/01)

Paid in full in March 07

Sidewinders post says it all really written or not a contract does exist Based on Sidewinders post the next step is upto the OP

The only thing I would add is have you spoken to fellow employees & do they confirm your version of events & if not you must do so asap in case they are got at

As previously stated, your GF should have been given a statement of the main terms a short perido after starting work. This in conjunction with any other documents, handbooks and clauses accepted through custom and practice form a contract of employment. If the employer did not give a written statement on starting work, detailing normal hours of work, rates of pay etc then this in itself is an offence, but is not neccessarily relevant in this case. Your GF has had two periods of employment at the cafe, and whatever has become the norm through custom is an implied contractual term. Therefore, if your GF has 'always' worked say 20 hours a week and the employer has been happy to pay her on that basis then this would be her implied contracted hours.

The employer cannot claim that your GF has agreed to not being paid during the closure as any such agreement must be in writing - the ERA is clear that deductions (or non-payment) from wages must be with the written agreement of the employee. Nevertheless, agreeing with JonChris, she should speak to the other staff and see what they have or have not agreed to. I am still not sure as to whether she is paid from the till, or receives a wage packet and payslip with any deductions made at source. The complication insofar as pursuing this if a cash in hand arrangement is the norm is that your GF may not have been paying tax (and irrespective of the rights and wrongs on the employer's part it is her responsibility that her dues to HMRC are paid).

Speak to the other staff and then write to the employer.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thank you all for your replies.

She definately has not had a contract and my GF says that she wont even have made a contract. She went in on saturday demanding some money which is when she go £60 the boss then said that she does not work here anymore and is goin to work for the boss friend in another cafe. She also said that its because she cannot have some one working 9-4 she finishes at 4 to get to nursey in time for 5.

But the boss new this from the start it sound like she is trying to get her to leave without her sacking her.

As for wages yes she did pay tax and NI...etc and this gets deducted before she gets wages on a friday (when she gets them) but i do not think she gets a payslip detailing what she has been paid for and what deductions.

She wants out of this cafe but she just needs to find somewhere else first before she does leave. Can the boss just sack her as she has not done a full year since returning to the cafe?

Thanks

"...the boss then said that she does not work here anymore and is goin to work for the boss friend in another cafe..."

A material change to her contract - she cannot just dictate her normal place of work - this can only be negotiated. Dodgy ground!

She also said that its because she cannot have some one working 9-4 she finishes at 4 to get to nursey in time for 5.

Indirect Sex Discrimination. If the employer pushes this point then you would have a case to take to a Tribunal. Your GF's role as a mother needing to provide childcare is something which the employer has to deal with - they employed her in the full knowledge of her circumstances. If she is disciplined (dismissed) or moved because her status as a mother is inconvenient and life is made so difficult for her that she feels that she cannot continue working there, then she has a case for unfair dismissal as she has been treated differently due to her sex by implication. Definitely dodgy!

But the boss new this from the start it sound like she is trying to get her to leave without her sacking her.

More clear cut if she did, but as stated previously she could allege Discrimination if she was forced to resign because of the reasons stated above.

As for wages yes she did pay tax and NI...etc and this gets deducted before she gets wages on a friday (when she gets them) but i do not think she gets a payslip detailing what she has been paid for and what deductions.

A payslip detailing deductions is a legal right. She should insist on receiving one.

She wants out of this cafe but she just needs to find somewhere else first before she does leave. Can the boss just sack her as she has not done a full year since returning to the cafe?

Yes the boss can sack her, but whilst true that she would have no automatic rights to claim Unfair Dismissal without having 12 months service, this is not required in cases of discrimination.

I strongly suggest that your GF raises a written grievance against her treatment:-

1. She has not been receiving detailed payslips, which she requires for Income Tax and NI purposes.

2. She has made no agreement, written or otherwise to have her wages stopped during the refurbishment which she is advised is contrary to the Employment Rights Act, Section 13 and considers this an unlawful deduction.

3. She is concerned at the suggestion that her normal place of work is to be changed against her will and without negotiation, which is a change to her contract.

4. She is concerned that she is being made to feel an 'inconvenience' as she has childcare responsibilities which have in the past been acceptable to the employer, but her Manager has now told her are unacceptable.

The responses given will undoubtedly point your GF in the direction which she should take next!

DONATE HERE

Thanks again. My GF has been in touch with a solicitor which has told her that as you said yes she can sack her but must pay her a weeks notice. She went in the cafe yesterday to be ask what shes doing there as she doesnt work there anymore so basically she has been sacked now.

So today my GF is phoning her telling how much she is owed including the weeks notice plus week in hand she worked and any holidays owed. I am now thinking that when she tells the boss this she will say right you can work this week then would she be allowed to do this when she said that to her yesterday?

The solicitor says to tell her to pay the money owed if she does not she has an appointment to go see the solicitor on 1st July.

Thanks Again

mjones if the employer does say she can work it'll just be another means to stall paying her. Suggest she demands full payment of ALL monies owing & moves on with her life & if she doesn't get paid take up the solicitors offer

It might be a good idea for her to put her demands in writing & send recorded to the employer so when she turns up there can be no excuse by the employer they didn't know so don't have the money available to pay her

Shes has spoke to her boss today. Shes saying there no employment contract because everyone that starts working there is on a 6month trial so she doesnt need to give one. She has agreed to pay her for the hours while closed which she said she will drop of tonight.

She is however refusing to pay the weeks notice and says that she can take her to court/tribunal but theres no way shes getting it.

She also worked a week in hand when she stated should she be getting this back?

The employer is now also saying shes bankrupt and waiting to hear from the courts. If she does go bankrupt does this affect her chances of getting what shes owed?

All your help is much appriciated.

Thanks again. My GF has been in touch with a solicitor which has told her that as you said yes she can sack her but must pay her a weeks notice. She went in the cafe yesterday to be ask what shes doing there as she doesnt work there anymore so basically she has been sacked now.

Dismissal for trying to enforce a statutory right is like discrimination: it is automatically unfair dismissal, even if the employee has worked there less than a year.

In the this case the statutory rights are not to have illegal deductions made from pay, the right to payslips, the right to written terms of employment, and the right to enforce the minimum wage.

If the employer is going bankrupt then I would start a tribunal claim ASAP.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

From my experience, she is entitled to a minimum 1 week notice or 1 weeks wages.

No pay slip but deductions made! Get your g/f to check this out with the tax office as just maybe her employer never really paid it?

And finally, the shop is being re-fitted but gone bankrupt! Are you sure?

Don't be fobbed of...

Right well she did turn up last night with all money owed except the weeks notice which she is still refusing to give her.

Now is it work pursuing this for the sake of £120 since if she does declare herself bankrupt there no way of her getting it anyway. I know its the principle that she shouldnt get away with it but im thinking just leave it as that least she got what shes got what she worked.

Thanks Again for all your help i dont think we would of got any of it back with all you help.

If it was me and I had been treated like that I would make a nuicance of myself and send a Letter Before Action detailing what I considered still outstanding - one week's notice plus any holiday pay due.

DONATE HERE