Bank Charges have made me overdrawn

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4553 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi does anyone know.......

I used to bank with natwest, i put a claim in to get back some bank charges and they have since closed my account and passed it to a debt collector to claim back my overdraft, however they have also wacked on a load of charges, more than i orginally claimed back so my account is now over my overdraft and overdrawn, however its further bank charges that have made it overdrawn. Are banks allowed to slap you with charges if its those very same charges that then cause you to go overdrawn ? I asked my current bank as i was enquriring about lending and they said your not allowed to do it but i dont know if she was just saying that to humour me ?

Does anyone know ? Thanks

If you ask the bank involved they will tell you yes, many people have been charged in this way, a charge is a charge and none are more justified than others. Complain to the FOS regarding them closing your account as this is in retaliation to you claiming charges and you may get compensation for this, others have been compensated for this to the tune of around £250. The bonus is the FOS will charge the banks to deal with you complaint also. Win win situation. Be wary of the banks as they may have defaulted you on your credit file and if this amount includes charges you are to claim back then insist upon the removal of such data/default when you settle.