Debt Managers got me (now paid), can I do anything to them now?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5794 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, does anyone know if I can pick a fight with a DCA AFTER the court action/earnings arrestment has paid the debt? Even just to get a proper complaint in about what they did to me?

Had an online catalogue in 2004 with a redcats brand, when the HMRC tried to ruin my life. The defualted balance defo included charges and got lots of threats from Debt managers. I was working reduced hours due to a difficult pregnancy and tried to offer what I could - not good enough apparently. Small claims summons received in April 2005 for £281 - I had no idea what to do - had not discovered you guys yet! and just let it go through.

July - I offered £50 p/m, accepted and paid until I had my daughter in Sept 05 (£150). I explained I was on mat leave, offered small goodwill until I was back at work - refused. I received a Charge for Payment of Money on 3rd Nov 05 - adding:

Principal Sum - £281.66

Interest - NIL

Expenses - £151.33

Earlier chargeable diligence expenses - NIL

------------

Total £423.99

Less Paid to Account £150.00

------------

£282.99

Expenses of Sheriff Officer

Charge Fee Band 1 £ 24.90

Total sum due £307.89

What are those 'expenses' for? Can i ask for clarification at all?

Once I went back to work in Feb they arrested my wages immediately.

Anyhoo, I was made redundant in May, told Debt managers about this. Did a course and got a new job. Told Debt Managers this also - gavve them my new employer, start date and agreed to pay my o/s balance in 2 payments from my new (higher) wage - agreed on the phone. (silly :rolleyes:)

Started new job, within 3 weeks another wages arrestment arrives - to the regional office (goddam them). Snotty woman on the phone says tough, we can do this if we want - oh and by the way there are now MORE 'expenses'.

So, arrestment continues and I finally pay it all off just at Xmas. Thing is, my credit file shows it all satisfied by June 2006 - when I left my prev employer?

So they basically doubled my debt by being unreasonable, bullying gits, taking advantage when vulnerable (pregnant & ill - decree then mat leave - charge for payment, then redundant - new arrestment to new employer).

All the while I kept offering to pay - obviously no profit in that for them. Can I complain and is it worth the effort?

If anyone is still awake after reading this novel :p

Edited by Dipply75
monkey fingers

Dipply75

I am in no way a legal advisor and only speak from my own experiences and the helpful advice of those in the same boat! :p

I can't help either but I'm sure someone will be along soon. Just wanted to say that you have my sympathies, I had a lot of financial troubles when I was into maternity leave (two weeks in my employer told me they wouldnt pay maternity pay, which I was relying on, and I had to sue them), and coupled with a bad birth (went overdue I am sure as a result of the stress this caused me) and my baby's life threatening illness it ruined the first months of his life for us with stress and worry.

(((())))

Thanks Brassed Off (lovin the avatar). Finding out you have rights AFTER the fact is driving me nuts - its like thinking of the perfect answer, the day after the argument lol.

Thanks for your comments electrica77, I am so sorry you never got to enjoy those first few months and I really hope your son is a lot better now. There's so many moments coming that will just make you smile and smile and you'll know it was all worth it : )

I agree, there are still too many bosses who think its still the 1800's and its the worst time to have money worries. Thats why I am so particularly peed off at Debt Managers as they took advantage when I couldn't fight back.

Does anyone know about this 'debt information pack' that should be sent to you before they take any action? I saw it somewhere in one of the laws

HUGS!

Dipply75

I am in no way a legal advisor and only speak from my own experiences and the helpful advice of those in the same boat! :p

What are those 'expenses' for? Can i ask for clarification at all?

Yes. They are limited in what they can claim as expenses although any objection really should have been made at the time (I know that isn't helpful). I would initially ask in writing for a full breakdown of these expenses, although you may have to send a SAR to get them.
Does anyone know about this 'debt information pack' that should be sent to you before they take any action? I saw it somewhere in one of the laws

Yes it's part of The Debt Arrangement and Attachment (Scotland) Act 2002 which also governs things like expenses that can be charged for when attachments are carried out.
  • Haha 1

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks Rory, I received diddly squat from them.

I think I will ask for their complaints procedure and send the S.A.R. and see what turns up. I was definitely an easy target at the time and they knew it - but this worm has turned and will be biting their butts. (yuk, slimy dca butt lol)

Will have a wee look through that Act in the meantime also.

Big thanks

Dipply75