£40 Name Change Fee??? Airtours

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5635 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just noticed two weeks before travelling that my girlfriends name is down as 'Mr' instead of 'Miss' on our holiday tickets.

Phoned Airtours customer services only to be told it was my mistake as it was booked thi way online and I would have to pay £40 to change the name as it is outwith the 56 days before travelling!!!

Why does it cost so much to make such a small change to a booking?

I find this appauling and just another way for the holiday company to squeeze more money from their customers. As it is so close to the holiday I feel I will have to pay this fee and complain later, asking for a breakdown of this cost. To me it seems more like a penalty charge, should holiday company's not be doing all they can to keep custom and make existing customers happy.

Does anyone have any advice or any similar experiences?

Halifax Current Account - £90 won back (Feb 23rd)

Halifax Credit Card - Statement back £200 charged

Halifax Electron - Req.statements 15th Jan not arrived

Barclays - Ready to request statements

Capital One - About to request statements

Would it matter if it stayed as Mr instead of Miss - after all your passport doesn't have your marital status on it? That way you wouldn't have to pay the charge?

Is the carrier Airtours themselves? If not, you could ring the actual holiday company it is booked with and ask if it matters.

August 06- S.A.R. handed into a Halifax Branch

Sept 06 statements received and first letter sent requesting repayment of charges totalling £3,90

beginning Oct 06 received phone call offering £1,397, said would accept as interim payment andLBA letter sent same day

mid Oct 06 MCOL submitted online

end Oct 06 paid in full including interest and court fee - £4,980!

Why does it cost so much to make such a small change to a booking?

It doesn't, its a nifty way to cream money from passengers with non flexible tickets.

Pay it, enjoy your holiday, then reclaim it under Schedule 2e of Regulation 5(5) of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 because Airtours cannot explain how it costs them precisely £40 to change a passengers title.

First to fly the Airbus A380

Would it matter if it stayed as Mr instead of Miss - after all your passport doesn't have your marital status on it? That way you wouldn't have to pay the charge?

Is the carrier Airtours themselves? If not, you could ring the actual holiday company it is booked with and ask if it matters.

Iam just scared to risk it mate.

It has her name as 'MR'

It doesn't, its a nifty way to cream money from passengers with non flexible tickets.

Pay it, enjoy your holiday, then reclaim it under Schedule 2e of Regulation 5(5) of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 because Airtours cannot explain how it costs them precisely £40 to change a passengers title.

Thanks for the advice

Has anyone else been successful when challenging this fee under Schedule 2e?

They don't have to justify it, other than ensure the customer was made aware of their terms and conditions at the time of purchase. Providing these terms were provided, they'll win. If it's any help, my granddaughter had Mr on her ticket and nobody noticed or commented.

Not necessarily. No matter what their T's&C's might claim they still have to justify the charge otherwise it can be construed as a penalty

Disagree. If it can be proved the passenger was advised of all costs pertaining, and he ignored or disregarded them, the onus is then on the OP to ensure there is no requirement to use these additional services. Anyway, those fees are for a name change, not for a salutation. Back in 2004 when the fee was around £20 and I did have to substitute a person, the fee was explained as a 'discouragement' to people to treat otherwise unmodifiable tickets as a commodity. The fee covered the time in re-verifying that the original tickets had not been issued, catching or recalling them and issuing replacements. It was not possible to split the fee based on the actual work undertaken, so worst case scenario prevails. It was also hinted that passenger data has to be re-supplied to unspecified agencies.

There's no 'penalty' here - if the original error wasn't made, there would be no need to pay more. I don't fly with BA because I won't pay their cavalier fuel surcharges. That is just as much a 'penalty' as the one you describe. If you don;t like it, you choose another supplier. That is what consumer choice is all about. Complaining after the event that it is 'unfair' is a cop out. This in not on a par with bank charges, and that's not been a slam dunk win for consumers yet either!

As I understand it this is not a name change but a salutation because of a mistake & if so it can be challenged on the basis that it's an unlawful penalty charge because the charge greatly exceeds the true cost

Why challenge it? Common-sense dictates it should be ignored! As for the 'ture' cost of the change, I'd respectfully suggest that the 'true' cost has NOTHING to do with it. (In much the same way a SORN 'fine' of £80 for NOT taxing a vehicle that probably isn't on the road IS an unfair penalty), and has been upheld by the courts.

Glad you noticed. It's your use of the word 'penalty' within a commercial transaction that started this. It is a fee for a service, and if the error wasn't made in the first place, wouldn't apply. A commercial organisation is free to set its own charges, if you don't like them you go elsewhere.

You don't cry after the event and expect a successful resolution. Neither you nor I are aware of the processes involved in this additional manual intervention. Blithely stating it is a 'penalty' is inaccurate and misleading until you have proof. I've suggested that they have not been deceitful in their charges - simply the OPs problem ISN'T a 'name change', so it's an argument about nothing.

If disputed the company have to justify such a charge As for if you don't like it go elswhere. I imagine the OP would but what would that cost him do you think Ryanair will give him refund

They have a captive customer & are imposing a charge which probably has no relation to the true cost & is therefore open to challenge

As I noted twice before - you're in no position to know either way, hence the 'penalty' claim is reckless. It seems unreasonably high, but then this remains a commercial transaction and if the only recourse is to the courts, I certainly wouldn't count on a win.

What on earth are you talking about. An arbitrary charge that, after payment of the original fee including profit, which must considerably exceed the cost IS a penalty

We all know the banks penalise us if we make a mistake & this is no different or are you suggesting that if we don't like ithe bank charges we should take our business elsewhere

What am I talking about? Look up the thread. Your arbitrary and ill-advised use of the word 'penalty'. Until you can prove it, it isn't one. So when you manage to do (by proving that the cost is manifestly unreasonable - not for the work done in this particular instance - but the a single fee for the complete process as outline before.

I don't think I can usefully add anything to this without repetition so carry on with your belief, as without proof to substantiate your assertion of a 'penalty', you're whistling in the wind...

Until the banks disclose their costs we have no way of knowing for sure that their charges are penalties. At the moment it's just an assumption because of there level as is I assume Ryanairs obviously extortionate charge for amending the data from Mr to Miss.

So until we know differently it's perfectly OK to call such charges penalties

Easy guys.

Its like having a little devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other.

I dont know whether to risk my holiday seeing that it is only a salutation problem rather than a full name change.

Spoke to the call centre and her words were Its very easy to change i just choose from a drop down and reprint the tickets???? So this costs £40?

Total disgrace

Would it matter if it stayed as Mr instead of Miss

As the Mr prefix is male, it would matter a lot! You could easily be denied boarding.

Pay the fee, then claim it back is my advice too.

Edited by Meldrew2

British Shoe Corporation - won :) BT - won :) West Lancs Council - lost :-x 02 - won :) British Airways - still fighting :o STOP PRESS - RSPCA - daughter won with letters I wrote :)

Really? It is a salutation only. I'd seriously doubt anyone being denied boarding if they were called Mr Mary Smith, and Mary Smith's passport was present. After all, protocol in days past was for Mrs David Smith (as the wife of the husband) but that wouldn;t work these days as the boarding pass must match the ticket.

If you pay and attempt to claim back the chanced of reimbursement would be negligible!

Having seen enough episodes of "Airline" I stand by my advice. I wouldn't want to miss a holiday or be stranded abroad because of a ticketing error.

Others may wish to take the risk.

Edited by Meldrew2

British Shoe Corporation - won :) BT - won :) West Lancs Council - lost :-x 02 - won :) British Airways - still fighting :o STOP PRESS - RSPCA - daughter won with letters I wrote :)

Personally I'd ignore it.

My passport gives my name as Bernie The Bolt, I sign my name The Bolt and I have travelled as Bernie Bolt and The Bolt I've never had an issue.

If spotted and questioned plead ignorance.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

Before going on holiday I phoned up and changed the name from Mr to Miss. Took what i thought was a £40 hit.

Got to the airport and there were no tickets waiting for me. Went to the check in desk and was told the name was still down as Mr...........!!!!!! The girl at Check in said she would change it for ma and did. Took her a matter of seconds to put it right.

So there you go. Obviously the person I spoke to on the phone was using an invisible keyboard and never did a thing. I checked and no money had been taken from my account (one positive thing)

Holiday was awesome as well

Have you thought of saying they had made a spelling mistake instead, I did this with another airline and they fell for it. As you have already contacted them they may have a record so it might be too late.