• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

A&L Charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5660 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am getting my first letter all ready to go to A&L tomorrow. Meant to do this the other day but work got in the way!! Will keep you posted on what happens. Do I include interest in the money being claimed back?

I can't believe this ... last week I received a letter from A&L stating that I hadn't enough funds in my account to pay £42 cheque that I had written for the pleasure of this they had charged me £25, which immediately went out of my account. I immediately looked at my bank account on line and realised that I was still way within my overdraft limit, £300 within, so not even close. I phoned up A&L and got a really stroppy person on the end of the phone who said that if they were in the wrong they would look into it. "IF" ...!! there was no If about it they had charged me £25 for NO reason. In the end the person on the phone said that they would look into it and it would take about 5 working days for the money to be returned. How can they be allowed to take out my money immediately when they were in the wrong and then take 5 days to get my money re-paid back into my account??? It is so not fair!! I am beginning to really dislike the A&L and this makes me even more determined to get all of my other unfair charges back!

They must be making a habit of this as they did exactly the same thing to me. It took several dasy before the money was credited back into my account however I was warned that if in the interim I went over my limit I would get another £25 charge although technically I would have been in credit.

I have only gone over my limit on thsi account once and that was because it is a internet only account and their balance showing is never correct as you can have three different balances. If you pay something out of the account as a one off payment, it is not relected in the balance until about 4 days later. his has to be one of the worst current accounts I have ever had . I now only used it for DDs and nothing else.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I sent my letter requesting for payment to A&L and they have not acknowledged my letter too. I have sent them a second letter reminding that if they are not prepared to pay me what's owning I will not be in contact with them and will go through the courts. Hopefully I will get a response from them by 12 Sept. Will keep you posted.

S

My case has been on hold since the start of the court case and A & L Continue to add penalty charges every month. I ask A & L to pay them back but they quote the court stay, which was reinstated again, seems to me the banks are still getting away with it and you can bet that if the consumer does eventually win we will still have to go to court to claim the money back, and in addition, they will get away with being able to reduce the original charges down to £12 per item which is still an absolute travisty of justice for what they claim is involved. My original claim for £1511 plus the court fee was logged last year but since then I have continued to be charged every month and even now they have taken another £1000 as we all know in this forum once they get you on the slippery slope it is very difficult to get off. I think it is cowardly of A & L to leave the test case to other banks and not get involved themselves but they are reaping the rewards of the 'stay' while they can!

Gosh what chances have i got huh!!! I have already sent the second letter and in about a weeks time i will be going to the small claims court. Am I right in saying that you have file your case in the courts but the courts are putting it on hold? What is your advise - should i go with the process and wait and find out?

S

Hi, S.

My advice would be to continue and file your claim, some people have found, once the Bank know you are serious about your claim, they have been known to make an offer.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

My advice would be to keep a record of all your penalty charges since you completed your court application, and yes continue with your current application and when we win you can put another claim in for the charges they have taken since the first case albeit £12? per item.

Thanks guys I will continue with this and hopefully will be able to feedback with some good news. I am pleased to say that I have managed to avoid any more bank charges since I put in my claim. Your help and support is very much appreciated.

Cheers for now

S

I am pleased to say that I have managed to avoid any more bank charges since I put in my claim.

That's sound, Shyck. Try to keep it that way ;) saves all the hassle later :)

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hiya,

I need some help now please as since sending my 2nd letter my work has seemed to have taken over my life and I have not gone the next step - ie registering at court. What is the best thing for me to do now????? Should I just continue or will it be necessary to then re-do all the letters again. My 2nd letter was sent mid August ......

If someone could get back to me that will be great as I am worrying now what should be the best thing to do? :?

Thanks

As your letters were sent quite recently, there is no need to re send anything. Just make sure all your charges are up to date and any recent ones are added to your spread sheets.

Once they are up to date you can proceed to filing at court.

I have given you a link to help you with the next step.

Step By Step Guide - Consumer Wiki

Have a good read of it, any questions you have just ask. As mistakes at this stage can be costly. :)

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Great - thanks for getting back to me. So that I don't rush this next step I'm going to have a good read through and fill all the paperwork in over the weekend. Once I submit my claim to the court - whats the next step then? Will I get a letter back soonish or will be then put in the long queue?

I know that this might sound like a silly question but what with all the financial stuff that is going on at the moment with the banks and the markets will this affect our claims at all? Is the court likely to look more favourably on the banks than to help us get our money back? Please if there is anyone out there to help me with this I will be so grateful.

Thanks

x

Once you submit your papers. (you need to send in 3 copies of everything). The court will stamp them, send 1 back to you, one to the bank and keep 1.

They will give you a date which A&L have to acknowledge the claim. So as soon as the papers are in, you just sit back and wait.

Please do have a good read for the court stage, but if your not sure of anything, just ask. :D

F&Q's... Read here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Thanks - it all seems to makes sense. Will get the claim issued on-line once I have been paid. Going to try and get it all sorted before I go on holiday next week.

Can anyone advise on my below question?

"I know that this might sound like a silly question but what with all the financial stuff that is going on at the moment with the banks and the markets will this affect our claims at all? Is the court likely to look more favourably on the banks than to help us get our money back? Please if there is anyone out there to help me with this I will be so grateful"

Thanks

Hello - I've bitten the bullet and have done it - proceeded to court with the MCOL.

Its now the start of the long wait ............

How is everyone else getting on with this? Do you think that there will be an outcome in January on the FSA's court case?

Where can I get an update on this?

Thanks

F&Q's... Read here

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - just an update. After the MCOL thing on line I have now had the paperwork back from the court stating that my claim is stayed pending judgement in the OFT test case.

Since doing this I have been away on holiday and have not used my A&L account. I am so cross with the A&L as my expenses didn't go into my bank account (should have done 3 weeks ago now) and because of this they have now bounced 9 payments and have charged me yet another £25 a time!!! £225!!! :mad: What do I do now as I have already submitted my claim. Can I add on these charges or will I need to do a totally new claim.

Thanks