• Tweets

• Dear Sir/Madam, TFL case number: **** I would like to thank TFL for providing me the opportunity to explain my behaviour. I realised the stupidity of what I have done and wish to seek a resolution to this matter. I have no valid excuse for this action and I am extremely sorry and deeply regret my action. I hope you will accept my sincere apologies. Nothing can justify my action. I am aware that TFL are only able to operate if everyone pays their fare correctly and I feel so guilty about attempting to breach public trust. This has caused me sleepness nights and raised my anxieties. I have history of anxiety. This has been a hard lesson learnt. I have never been in trouble with the law in the past and I ensure that I won’t be in the future. I am and will be using my oyster card (PAYG). I would like to humbly appeal to TFL to allow me to settle this matter out of court and avoid going to prosecution given the adverse consequences it can have on me and my family. I am very concerned that prosecution for the first time and I would like to make restitution for my action. Having a criminal offense on my record will have detrimental consequences on me. I have always been a law abiding person and have no previous offences. I would really appreciate if I can be given the opportunity to pay for any unpaid fares plus any charges and/or administrative cost which have been incurred by TFL due to this incident. I am sincerely remorseful and ashamed of myself, and I fully appreciate the severity and stupidity of my transgressions. Again, I would like to offer my sincerest apologies. Yours Faithfully, My Name
    • the date is 19/04/24, so i have until 29/4/24 to reply? Yes, i will send my draft of my begging letter   
    • use the webform if it allows you to attach your evidential documents then do so but do that later depending upon who your bank is.... - but i suspect you will be referred to Mastercard. who is your bank? dx    
    • If i did it through the bank, they seem to have an online form. I wondered if this is the best way or to do a letter, add supporting documents and send them through the post, recorded delivery  ?
    • the process for attaining a charging order is the same no matter what it results in. interim first then latter they can go for a full charging order. at ICO stage its recorded the same on your deeds until a full CO is applied for and granted. however, as in your case, it resulted in simply a restriction k which cannot be converted into a full charging order so the entry remains stating ICO. smart cookies on your side IMHO now ...hope you succeed. dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

CCA, DCAs and the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4397 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Following what Lookingforinfo asked though, this could still be important to find out about accounts which were bought by debt Purchasing companies such as Cabot and the likes pre May.

Cabot when asked to supply on a CCA request send the £1 back stating they are not obliged under the Act.. This will certainly shut them up once and for all etc, but there are a lot of old requests in the pipeline, so clarification from TS with regard to those assigned pre May would be extremely useful.

All things come to those who wait... tick tock Cabot ! :D

Sarah

Unfortunately Sarah, as my letter states, anything pre 26th May is dependent on which opinion TS take and how far they want to kick a** :-|

Mine wouldn't act without legal argument :(

But this changes things :D We can educate TS with the directive and the under secretary's opinion ;)

It would seem now that TS cannot keep putting off taking action against these Rogue DCAs. What is their problem. Is it that they do not know their jobs in relation to DCAs. Do they still think of debt collectors as the man who calls at the door instead of the multi million pound industry that it has become. The DCAs seem to think they are above the law and can keep on flouting it. Has anyone ever heard of a DCA being prosecuted for failing to comply with a CCA request. No I didnt think so. Had anyone ever heard of a DCA being prosecuted for harrassment. A similar answer. The simple fact is that unless someone somewhere prosecutes these greedy barstewards for their dubious activities they will contimue to flout the laws of the land.

I'm sure there are many reasons why TS appear to be so reluctant to take action against DCAs, under-resourcing almost certainly being one.

In my view, one of the problems of TS enforcing is that because they belong to the County Council, their decisions as to whether or not to investigate or prosecute may be influenced by their political masters. Councils compete to bring companies to their areas - to bring jobs, and income. Many of these companies would see a stringent TS as a disincentive.

However, I suspect that the biggest difficulty is simply that non-compliant DCAs are just not 'cool' in TS world. Raiding the sellers of counterfeit goods and exposing the local supermarket for selling an out of date yoghurt not only make good local stories that convince the council tax payers that they're getting value, they're also relatively easily done. Pursuing debt collectors who insist (and many lie convincingly), that the debtor is always wrong, is less popular, and may well be harder to prove - especially if, as seems to be the case, TS staff grasp of the legislation isn't 100%.

Add to the mix the OFT, who don't appear to take much real interest in fitness to hold consumer credit licences, and guess which TS would rather do - down the local market in yellow jackets to bust the dodgy DVD sellers, or spend time with some of the deeply repellent personalities who inhabit the murky world of debt collection?

"During the investigation of your complaint I obtained an opinion, specifically in relation to this point, from a leading authority of Consumer Credit. This leading authority provides training to both the Trade and Trading Standards. The opinion given did not regard a DCA to be a "Creditor" for purposes of sections 77 and 78.

I also contacted the LACORS (Local Authorities Coordinators of Regulatory Services) Lead Officer for Credit. The Lead Officer's opnion stated that both LACORS and the OFT felt that a DCA would be regarded as the "Creditor" for sections 77 and 78. However, no official guidance had been issued and no legal argument was provided to support this." This was what made TS reluctant before...

"Since your complaint the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive has been implemented into UK legislation via the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations, which came into force on 26th May 2008. This has enabled the OFT to issue guidance to enforcement officers that provides a legal argument to support their view that DCA's are "Creditors" for the purposes of Sections 77 and 78 of the Consumer Credit Act." OFT can now offer legal argument to TS...

The rules have changed and if enough people make a fuss about TS NOT implementing them, ie. complain to their MP, Local Authority Ombudsman, OFT etc. we should see prosecutions soon.

Hi BB, my g/f was been harassed by her DCA and they have threatened court appointed baliffs and havent listened to her regarding her bankrupcy since the original debt.

Does your post mean that any nasty tricks played before 26th May 2006 cant/wont be acted upon but any after that time will? Or does it depend on when you made the complaint?

Hi BB, my g/f was been harassed by her DCA and they have threatened court appointed baliffs and havent listened to her regarding her bankrupcy since the original debt.

Does your post mean that any nasty tricks played before 26th May 2006 cant/wont be acted upon but any after that time will? Or does it depend on when you made the complaint?

Depends on the Trading Standards department but those reluctant to do anything pre 26th May re non compliance of CCA requests now have the backing of the OFT.

Is the debt being chased pre bankruptcy burnt_toast?

Burnt toast you have the idiots on tape making an illegal threat. Report their sorry asses to TS and the OFT

LOL

No BB, its being chased even though she went bankrupt. The DCA (HFO) say bankrupcy doesnt matter/count (lol) and we've got them taped saying that too. Should we reply and let them know that nugget of info? Or should we expect their employees to have noted this?

ODC fully intend to. Trying not to get tied up in knots with all we need to do!

Looking to countersue for a barrage of unwanted, at times threatening and totally unlawful harassment.

What do you think the chances are?

BT, if the bankruptcy was after the debt then it's included in it. Tell your GF to give the DCA the bankruptcy details and the contact details of her bankruptcy pratitioner. If they then persist, get her to contact the official receiver's office that dealt with it and they'll sort it for her.

I have got to know a local TS person very well and a lot of the time it is money they are also short of to pursue cases. If they have a risky case re a CCA with little legal precedent (although that should change now) they won't waste their limited budget chasing it at all.

I agree we should start educating the reluctant ones and the letter from TS is a godsend.

• Haha 2

Hi Babybear, thank's for posting this link on my thread. I have a long way to go before, (if at all) my CCA request goes into default. Six working days, no response. If after the 12+2 and then the 30 calendar days, the fight starts here. Your thread will form the foundation for many a fight-back.

Fight the injustice's of life with joy in your heart and abandon bitterness as it will destroy YOUR soul. Just at the foot, of a very steep learning curve. ;)

Hi Babybear, thank's for posting this link on my thread. I have a long way to go before, (if at all) my CCA request goes into default. Six working days, no response. If after the 12+2 and then the 30 calendar days, the fight starts here. Your thread will form the foundation for many a fight-back.

This is something I feel very strongly about and intend to fight along with you all to get TS to do their jobs regardless of funding. They have loads of options such as centralising prosecutions to cut costs.

I got royally s****ed last year because this legislation wasn't in place and had no option but to go for bankruptcy.

There's also more legislation in the pipeline, namely section 5 of the Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement Act 2007, 2007 CHAPTER 15, which is STILL under consultation with the Department of Justice. But that's for another day when it's finally implemented into UK legislation.

Because the directive wasn't in place at the time they committed the offence in my case LFI...

It only applies to offences commited after 26th May 2008.

So what you do is send another CCA request to the DCA now. This of course means if they don't comply this time it will be post 26th May 2008 & all bets should be off

So what you do is send another CCA request to the DCA now. This of course means if they don't comply this time it will be post 26th May 2008 & all bets should be off

That's exactly the game i shall be playing with Apex and now Cabot.

Can't wait :p;)

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

babybear, thankyou for adding this.

The clock is ticking on my CCA to Thames Credit and I will take full advantage of this new legislation. I will of course be posting my progress and I'm sure drawing on the wealth of knowledge available here.

Thanks again, your passionate stance on this matter is evident and I am sure your hard work will benefit many a CAG user.

That's exactly the game i shall be playing with Apex and now Cabot.

Can't wait :p;)

Good for you Hopeful1 and may you get sucess *hugs*, keep fighting girl :)

babybear, thankyou for adding this.

The clock is ticking on my CCA to Thames Credit and I will take full advantage of this new legislation. I will of course be posting my progress and I'm sure drawing on the wealth of knowledge available here.

Thanks again, your passionate stance on this matter is evident and I am sure your hard work will benefit many a CAG user.

Having been where a lot of new members to CAG are has taught me that we HAVE to take a stand and use the legislation and resources available. Call into question everything and anything...After all, that's what the despicable DCAs do :p

If TS won't act now then EVERY law in this country should be brought into question and everyone in the position to call on the new directive should push TS into action :-x

If they won't act then we WILL question them via their own Local Authority Ombudsman, MPs, OFT, the media etc...

Good for you Hopeful1 and may you get sucess *hugs*, keep fighting girl :)

Having been where a lot of new members to CAG are has taught me that we HAVE to take a stand and use the legislation and resources available. Call into question everything and anything...After all, that's what the despicable DCAs do :p

If TS won't act now then EVERY law in this country should be brought into question and everyone in the position to call on the new directive should push TS into action :-x

If they won't act then we WILL question them via their own Local Authority Ombudsman, MPs, OFT, the media etc...

the Cabot Fan Club wrote to Mr Lunn, the Director of Thames Credit last year warning him that unless he and his staff changed his ways then the full force of the tactics of the Fan Club, and as many CAG and other forum users we could muster, as used against Cabot would be reigned upon them and he wouldn't know what hit him - just as Cabot felt, staff lost their jobs because of us when we exposed the way they operated, people lost promotion and Cabot lost a considerable amount of money as a result of what we have done, are continuing to do and will continue to do so long as they carry on with their practices. Not to mention the phenominal legal costs they ran up trying to prosecute people and hoodwink courts into believing they were right - not so was it Ken? Thames Credit look as if they are heading the same way, time we gave them a little reminder - Anyone with a Thames Credit account begin by sending out your CCA Requests, your harassment letters to stop telephone calls, query everything that comes from them and get them to put to proof what they are asking you for -

Good luck everyone, lets turn up the heat....:-D

Sarah

Hi BB39,

I have read the response you posted from TS on numerous occasions. But excuse my ignorance can you please explain the meaning of their response and also of what benifit it will have for us. i.e. how will this new legislation benifit CAG members?

Sorry for being a bit thick but I am a wee bit confused!!!

Kind regards,

Smithy73

:)

Hiya Smithy :)

No worries.

What the new directive means is that any DCA chasing an alledged debt got lumbered with the rights of the original creditor, whether they own the debt or not, with regard to compliance with CCA requests from 26th May 2008 :D

The OFT can now give guidance to enforcement officers (TS) with the backing of legal opinion that DCAs DO have the SAME responsibilities as the OC :D

Basically, if they don't comply with the timescales, they can and SHOULD be prosecuted :D

Edited by babybear39
forgot something as usual