• Tweets

• FINAL UPDATE.  I have not posted as the defence were reading the thread.  An agreement was reached on the day of the hearing.   I am unable to go into detail but for those in this position the forum has been priceless support and advice so thank you all in the site team.   for those going through this, follow the process, ignore intimidating tactics and threats and get to the Judge.  They are very supporting of those self representing.   I note her name has gone from the heading of the thread.  Was this them ?  Thanks again.  
    • I'm not sure what the "appeal" system asked but he said he definitely didn't indicate he was the driver so I'm just going to have to take his word for it. Honestly, I don't think the hirer will contact them. I think my brother will tolerate it. I did have a similar experience with another company 6-7 years ago and sought advice on here then to which you guys told me to ignore, I got the exact same DRP letters and then a "Gladstones Solicitor" letter.  After that nothing happened and it died away. Based on my experience with that I assumed the same would happen here but only asked to see if perhaps anything had changed since then.    Hopefully it doesn't get to court but if it did, I feel like we have enough evidence to sway a judge who probably hates dealing with this type of nonsense anyway. Or maybe I'm too optimistic. 
    • Your attachment showing the cinema parking restrictions seems crystal clear. Let's see what the photos turn up.
    • Meter certification periods re given in The Meters (Certification) Regulations 1998, Schedule 4. From there you can check if they are correct about your specific meter .. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/1566/schedule/4 If they're telling porkies then you have e clear grounds to tell them to take  hike. If they're correct or if you haven't been able to confirm then you have  few options. You could just keep fobbing them off. In general Octopus can't keep up with demand for smart meters. It took 9 months to get our. So they may not push too hard. Or ask if you can install your own choice of meter. The Electricity Act 1989 cover this in Schedule 7 (2) and (2A) https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1989/29/schedule/7 Or fight the them and their enforcement. Or go off supply.
    • We received a copy of the completed Directions Questionnaire (N181) from the solicitors along with a draft copy of their directions. I am on a course today so can upload over the weekend if needed. By 4pm on 16th May both parties must each give standard disclosure of documents by way of list by category. By 4pm on 30th May any request for inspection or copies of docs must be made and compiled 14 days thereafter. I will provide more over the weekend.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Bankruptcy Petition

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5778 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Indeed - it's up to Roystc to show she was solvent after giving him the money. If he can do that, then the rest falls away.

I suspect he can't though, even if she was solvent.

Number of times I've asked 1st Credit for information that I stil haven't recieved... 55 as at 02/05/07 :!:

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh b*gger I was about to go to bed:D. Someone called Eves, but I have now found a lot more in my notes which I will read tomorrow regarding constructive trusts.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

and so to bed for me...

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

So if I do get this put aside which we think I wont:-/ How can I prove she was solvent if they wont release the details? Is it worth getting an affidavit from her saying she owed me the money and she believe's she was solvent? She has rang Equifax and they cant tell her only how much she went bankrupt for. So it looks like it will fail as I cannot preduce receipts from 6 years ago the best being a statement from a builder saying he did work if he's prepared to? So if I do get back to court could I then ask although I dont believe I owe this money that I am able to pay in instalments rather than make me bankrupt. Why do they want to make me Bankrupt if I'm willing to pay its crazy. Thank you all:)

Presumably the OR has her financial records. If you do manage to get the CCJ set aside then there will be another hearing as if you had just received the claim form. I think an affidavit from your ex would help, but wonder if it is possible to demand disclosure of her financial affairs from the OR, as they are presumably the claimant.

BANK CHARGES

Others

So if I do get this put aside which we think I wont:-/ How can I prove she was solvent if they wont release the details?

If she remembers what accounts she had then, or can find out from an experian report, she could do DPA requests to the creditors to ask for the balance at that date.

Is it worth getting an affidavit from her saying she owed me the money and she believe's she was solvent?

If she owed you the money and you prove it, that just makes it a preference rather than a transaction at undervalue. That doesn't really help you much, I don't think. And if she can't prove she was solvent, thinking she was doesn't count for much.

She has rang Equifax and they cant tell her only how much she went bankrupt for.

They should be able to tell her what accounts she had at the time, so she can find out.

So it looks like it will fail as I cannot preduce receipts from 6 years ago the best being a statement from a builder saying he did work if he's prepared to?

Again, even if you could, it just makes it a preference rather than a transaction at undervalue.

So if I do get back to court could I then ask although I dont believe I owe this money that I am able to pay in instalments

I think you have to do it, if you can at all, under the CCJ heading. If you wait until the bankruptcy hearing they will make the order, as you have a debt under the judgement that you were due to pay and haven't.

rather than make me bankrupt. Why do they want to make me Bankrupt if I'm willing to pay its crazy. Thank you all:)

Basically because a lot of people faced with bankruptcy petitions magically find the money.

Number of times I've asked 1st Credit for information that I stil haven't recieved... 55 as at 02/05/07 :!:

Hi Roystc

Are you sure it is a CCJ? If the trustee claims a transfer at undervalue, he makes an application to the bankruptcy court for an order nullifying the transaction. The court has wide powers under the section in the Act. It is likely that the order just simply requires you to repay the money. To that extent it would be the same as a CCJ.

As to why the trustee is going for bankruptcy? I don't know really and whilst I could speculate as to a reason, I don't think it would help.

It just seems crazy that they are saying they cant prove that she was solvent or not and they can get access to anything. What chance have I got if they cant get the information? Or are they just playing a game not releasing it to my solicitor. I cannot magicaly find the money I have done 2 years on half pay and NO pay and have just been taken on my works permenant health scheme of 80% of my salary for the rest of my life if my health doesn't improve. I am waiting to go on disability hence why I'm stuck on here and tv all day. I tried to get a loan but just my luck in todays current lending climate got no chance. I'm being treated worse than a criminal for doing absoloutly nothing and me and my family could be put out of our home of 30 years. My father is 70 and has emphasymia and my mother is in hospital in Manchester having extensive heart tests. Call us unlucky if you like I'm not after a sympathy vote from a judge just pure comon sense! The laws need to change even if its just to be able to get representation to fight these people they know you dont have money and its just a job to them.

It may sound like a daft idea but are there any family members around who could get a mortgage on the house your parents occupy, depending on the price of the house, especially if you agreed to fund the mortgage after a year or so?

I am an only child:-/ dont really think they'll give my mum and dad one:-/ These people are evil I accept someone elses debt and they want to make me bankrupt not take payments. My solicitor said all along they would go for bankruptcy as they are a team of solicitors and get paid anyway. Dont really understand that but he said they make money no matter what.

I am an only child:-/ dont really think they'll give my mum and dad one:-/ These people are evil I accept someone elses debt and they want to make me bankrupt not take payments. My solicitor said all along they would go for bankruptcy as they are a team of solicitors and get paid anyway. Dont really understand that but he said they make money no matter what.

OK, I'll think of something else. Any good friends who might buy the house and let your parents remain?

Hi Roystc

Are you sure it is a CCJ? If the trustee ...

There is definitely a CCJ. It seems Roystc has accepted that the transaction was voidable in order to avoid the expense of a court hearing on this point, and that the Trustee has subsequently obtained a CCJ on that back of that.

They are now going for bankruptcy on the bank of the CCJ not being satisfied.

Not that good;-) and where do ya get a mortgage these days? I spoke to the mortgage lender the other day about it. He said he knows people wh have dropped there houses £40K and still cant sell because no one is lending. This country is absolutly going to the dogs when normal people get persued like this. Thanks to you all Ging, Doc,Goldlady;-) They cant kill me and what dont kill ya makes you stronger! Would love to get hold of the person who said that;-)

I have today given my solicitor a medical report to try and have the CCJ to one side but after reading dont think they'll put it to one side. And even if they do I think all I'll do is loose end up with £46600 with the costs but I haven't got £27500 never mind £46600 so all I'll get is to put my side accross and be humiliated by a judge. I know I wont win all I want them to do is speak to the financial management company:-/

I asked my solicitor about getting the CCJ changed to something I can afford but he said they wont accept that and will go to court. They are so unreasonable its beyond belief.

Had letter off solicitor today he thinks we have very little chance of winning this case they've got me all ways. Is there any leagal way I can make them accept a payment rather than make me bankrupt? I signed believing I could pay in installments not raise £27500 who has got that sort of money?

Is it worth trying to get this put to one side or just attend the bankruptcy hearing and hope for the best:-( Had a word with one of the lads that did work on her house he said he would reluctantly make a statement but cant produce receipts which is a bit pointless. Seems pointless asking to get this put aside with no chance of winning. Or is it worth it to ask for a change in how it is paid rather than in one lump sum.

roystc what exactly did the solicitor say? is he still going for a set aside of the CCJ?

BANK CHARGES

Others

Is there any leagal way I can make them accept a payment rather than make me bankrupt? I signed believing I could pay in installments not raise £27500 who has got that sort of money?

The only possible way I can think of, as I said before, is to go to court to get the CCJ terms varied to payments in installments rather than forthwith.

I don't know if that works after a Stat Demand has been served though - perhaps you could ask your lawyer if he thinks you could win this.

He said he confirms that he will make an application to have the judgement set aside with request that the hearing in relation to the bankruptcy be ajourned till such time that the applicationis heard. He goes on to say, However I think you must give strong consideration to reconsidering your position regarding applying to have the judgement set aside. He said Councel said my case was weak and would almost certainly loose at trial with the lack of evidence. He said I will have to pay the applicants legal fee's of £6500 +vat so expect £46600.

Well what is another few grand at the end of the day? :D You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Of course if you are made bankrupt who is going to pay his fees? Or if you pay him in advance does that make him a preferential creditor:rolleyes:.

Keep those boxing gloves ready, and keep taking the strength pills.

BANK CHARGES

Others

The ex has been trying to find out how much she owed but is having great difficulty getting anything back but has wrote letters asking as they wont do it over the phone. Surely they should have to show she was insolvent or is that to keep me guessing gambling on going to court. The letter said it had to be settled on a forthwith basis as that was the grounds the applicant would settle for such a reduced sum:-/

Will do, will see if I can get it put off and see if I can prove she was solvent. Looks like they wont take payments though so wondering if a judge might make them with my problems? They all seem to be in the same club though

No there are some bl88dy good judges out there - met one yesterday:D

Whatever it takes to prove she was solvent and how ever many people you can get as witnesses to the work you paid for/did in the house (friends even) will help.

BANK CHARGES

Others