• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Bankruptcy Petition

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5776 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all this is my first post I'm not good at this. I currently don't keep good health and had my own financial problems but was getting them sorted through a debt company Gregory. Now a company from an ex girlfriends bankruptcy have been chasing me for something called undervalue for £27500 because I cannot prove the money was owed to me out of a property we sold!! although I do not believe this is my debt I could not afford to fight them and was quoted £13500 by an insolvency solicitor. I signed to accept £27500 or go to court and get £46600 with costs. I have been unable to raise the money but have offered security in the property and the debt company have offered them £111.00 a month but they refuse to talk to them and have gone ahead and petitioned for my bankruptcy. Nothing was done underhand it was done through solicitors but they are willing to make me bankrupt for someone else's debt. Truth is I cannot afford to fight these people they have been ruthless and its made me ill. Will a judge see sense and ask them to take payments at the hearing? I am willing to make payments for someone else's debts and they want to ruin my life too? Any help or information would be of help thanks:confused:

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Roy, welcome to CAG.

I think I know what may have happened but I need to know a few more facts but without any personal details that identify you.

Am I right in thinking that your ex-girlfriend went bankrupt sometime ago and that before she went bankrupt, she sold you her house or her share in a house you both owned?

If an asset belonging to a bankrupt is sold or otherwise disposed of within a certain period before the bankruptcy at a price that is below its true value, then the bankrupt's 'Trustee in Bankruptcy' can claim the difference (the undervalue) from the person who bought the property.

If there was a sale, what were the amounts involved? Any mortgage on the property? And if there was a mortgage, was it in joint names?

Sorry to go on, but when the property was sold, did an estate agent handle the sale?

Doc

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

Hi thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes her house was sold and we split the money for what money I was owed out of the property. I understand they can go back 5 years for the money which in my mind is crazy. I haven't got £27500 to give them and have tried offering them payments but they dont want to know they just want to make me bankrupt. So on July the 7th they will make me bankrupt as I belive the judge wont want to know either. Why wont they take a payment do they enjoy ruining peoples lives? Thanks again for the reply.

Don't be too sure about the judge. They don't make bankruptcy orders lightly. Most that get made are because the defendant doesn't turn up. You've still got a few days to prepare. A few more questions first, I'm afraid, so I can understand the position.

When you say 'her house' do you mean that it was registered SOLELY in her name, i.e. your name was not on the deeds. If you didn't have your name on the deeds, how long were you together and did you contribute to the running of the house, paying rates and other bills?

Also when you and your ex sold the property, did you do it through an estate agent and if so, did you get more than one valuation?

Finally, when you say "I signed to accept £27500 or go to court ", what do you mean and what did you sign?

Sorry to be a pain asking but it will help to advise you.

Hi Roy, welcome to CAG.

I think I know what may have happened but I need to know a few more facts but without any personal details that identify you.

Am I right in thinking that your ex-girlfriend went bankrupt sometime ago and that before she went bankrupt, she sold you her house or her share in a house you both owned?

If an asset belonging to a bankrupt is sold or otherwise disposed of within a certain period before the bankruptcy at a price that is below its true value, then the bankrupt's 'Trustee in Bankruptcy' can claim the difference (the undervalue) from the person who bought the property.

If there was a sale, what were the amounts involved? Any mortgage on the property? And if there was a mortgage, was it in joint names?

Sorry to go on, but when the property was sold, did an estate agent handle the sale?

Doc

Surely it's only the OR or Trustee in Bankruptcy that can make that call ... I didn't think a creditor could chase an ex-partner for shortfalls!

Boa...

It's difficult to remember that when you're up to your arse in crocodiles your objective was to drain the swamp.

The house was in her name I met her 2001 and she was going through a divorce and had a little girl. She bought the house in the summer of 2001 and yes I helped with the bills as well I furnished it put new bathroom and kitchen and generaly tidied it up heaters weren't working general stuff. She sold the house in 2004 I needed my money out to buy a house next door to my mother and father and generaly weren't getting on. They have asked for reciepts but were talking 5 years ago I dont keep them anyway I'm not in business or nothing. Yes it went through an estate agent nothing was done underhand the money was transfered through the solicitor who asked her did she want a hold on the property and she said no it was what I was owed. She was left with about £10000 so was solvent at the time and run her debt up after and went bankrupt in January 2006. Unfortunatly I've had a lot of bad luck with my health this last year and spent most of it in hospital with a firm of solicitors Beechcroft chasing me for £30000. I have been left with poor mobility after 3 operations on my neck and got out of hospital January the 7th 2008 only to have a letter waiting for me from them. It said that they would accept £27500 or I could go to court with little chance of winning and would get £46600 with costs. I could not afford to fight these people I asked an insolvency solicitors to represent me and they quoted me £13500 by the time I got to court with no guarentee of winning. That would've left me with £61000 to pay so I decided to accept the £27500 and try and raise it out of the property:-( I tried and in todays current lending climate couldnt so they issued a statutory demand for the money I applied to have it put to one side but was declined. I offered security of the money in the property and payments through a financial management company of £111.00 a month. They dont want to know and have petitioned for my bankruptcy on July the 7th 2008. I cant belive I'm offering to pay someone elses debt and they wont accept it and want to ruin my life as well by putting my parents out of their family home for 30 years by making me bankrupt. Its a long story I know and cant belive it is happening to me. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Beechcroft are a team of solicitors working for her Trustee I belive, so are not interested in any type of payment. I dont think its justice if you cant afford to defend yourself I cant afford £13500 that solicitors wanted to represent me.

It would appear to me that they are clinging onto the fact that you seemingly offered to pay 27.5k and these proceedings have been initiated as a result of the failure to satisfy the Statutory Demand.

My personal bankruptcy experience was a shed load of years ago and I'm not altogether sure that I can help ... but i'm sure someone will be along shortly to give some really good advice.

Keep your chin-up ......:)

Boa

It's difficult to remember that when you're up to your arse in crocodiles your objective was to drain the swamp.

Thanks Boa for taking the time to read through it. I just want it to go away to be honest have never heard nothing like it it's making me ill. I'm just hoping the judge sees sense who has got £27500 to give away there is only just that amount of equity in the property. Thanks again.

I dont understand the law either it is crazy. Because I cant prove that she owed me the money after the sale of the house 2 years later when she went bankrupt they came after me for the money for something they call undervalue? basicly I think it stinks and I cant fight these people I dont have that sort of money. So they can do what they like and petition for my bankruptcy because I cant come up with reciepts from over 5 years ago.

Is the 'trustee in bankruptcy' saying that your ex-girlfriend sold the house and paid you the money in order to avoid paying it to her creditors?

Was she solvent at the time she paid you the money or was she insolvent and sold the house to pay you in preference over her other creditors?

Boa...

I think they must be saying that but I have spoke to her and she said she was solvent at the time and had 8-10K in her bank. So she had no creditors at the time so she wasn't avoiding anyone but has ran the debt up then gone bankrupt on bad advice she said.

Hi Roystc

Thanks for clarifying things.

Yes a trustee in bankruptcy can go after assets that have been sold below its true value within 5 years prior to the bankruptcy. However there are two points here I will need to check when I'm back in work on Monday.

Firstly, is whether there can be a sale at an undervalue if you had an estate agent selling the property. If you & your ex had sold the house privately, there is always the chance that you sold at below the market rate. However, if you sold at a price advised by an estate agent, there isn't a sale at an undervalue, almost by definition. It may be that there wasn't a sale at an undervalue but that you have received a 'gift' of £27,500. But to bring an action, I think the trustee has to be able to show that your ex was insolvent at the time. If she was still solvent after paying you out, there isn't a gift. I need to check this out.

The second point is that if two people live together for a period and both contribute to the running and upkeep of the property, but only one person has their name on the deeds, the second person can still have a claim on the proceeds. In other words, if you were together during the period that the value of the house went up, you could claim half the value of the increase as yours anyway. It wasn't a gift. Again I need to check that out.

That's the good news I'm afraid. The down side is you have failed to satisfy the Stat demand and have left it late. But let's deal with that later.

Yes it was sold through an estate agent and the property had considerably gone up in value. On sale my part of the money was transfered through the solicitor to put down on a buy to let mortgage next door to my mother and father. Wish I'd found this page last year but spent most of it in hospital. My doctor said I shouldn't of signed anything I was in no fit state to sign while on morphine and various other pain killers coming out of hospital in pain etc. I was virtually blackmailed I call it saying except this or get £46600 knowing once I'd done that they knew they had me. I am a law abiding person but this makes me wonder why you try and better yourself and they just want to drag you down:-( Thank you for your time.

Holy hell this is so unjust.

I have just been through a BR helping a friend. There were various items that the OR queried ( in a three hour interview ) but when she stated that she was repaying loans to members of the family he accepted it. What I am thinking is that if the ex would confirm that she was repaying you for money you had 'lent' her during the time you lived together and also for the work you had done in the house that you would have a good defence. Assuming you are still in touch with her.

I think you have got the right to fight this - and I don't understand why the solicitor quoted you so much to help you. Are you likely to be eligible for legal aid? And if you don't mind me asking where are you based? Send me a PM if you don't want to say, but you really do need to fight this one.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

I'm based in N Wales and was told legal aid isnt available for this type of thing. I get an insurance and incapacity but not sure what qualifies so have been just paying a normal solicitor to deal with the letters. I have a writen quote for the £13500 to represent me by a firm in Chester asked about house insurance covering it but they said no as it went back to 2001. The ex is fine and been very apologetic as this is gona affect my family as well it wasn't a bitter split just didn't work out. I would pay them monthly for it but they just petitioned for my bankruptcy they are ruthless.

I think there is a way out of this but need to give it some thought. I will be back:)

BANK CHARGES

Others

I thank you and I'm willing to pay for any information that anyone can give me to get these vultures off my back. The law is so wrong how can I come up with receipts from 2001 to 2004 they know this and thats why they have persued me. They wont speak to my financial arangement company and they have never heard nothing like it as they said if they get away with this they need to look how they do business. I have been in and out of work for 2-3 years with ill health so had my own financial problems without this being chucked at me. The financial company said even if I pay them they are taking money that could be paid to my creditors. Thanks for reading my problems sorry they arn't simpler:-/

Wow .... that's spooky, my bankruptcy was dealt with by the Official Receiver at Dee Hills Parks as well .... Gardner I think his name was, as I said it was a fair few years ago - I had a business in Ruthin and Nannerch .. those were the days!:)

Anyhow, that's not going to get you sorted is it .... I'm pleased that you have got Docman and Goldlady on your case .. the important thing to remember here is to act on their advice swiftly, don't let things slide any further ...

I'm sure that you can beat this, but you will need to sit down and sort the facts out clearly and chronologically so that you can draw and maximise upon the excellent advice you will get from other, more experienced, members of this group.

Boa..

Edited by boavista1952

It is crazy Boa I know and everyone I know says I shouldn't have to pay it but the fact they wont even take a payment and security in the property is crazy. And they would sooner I go bankrupt and they will probably end up with next to nothing because I have other creditors. I have no faith in a judge making the right decision they refused to have it put to one side when I asked. The fact I took it on is bad enough but to expect me to get £27500 in a lump sum is crazy.

Roystc, do I understand correctly that you are paying a portion of your income into a debt management company?

If so, you should in my opinion, stop that immediately!

Boa ...

Lovely part of the country - we have camped in Bala many times:p.

I am going to send a PM to another member who might be able to help here. I have been thinking about your situation and what happened with my friend and her family loans. You had every right to that money, it was not a gift and even though your name was not on the deeds there is case law to back up your position. It is all to do with trust law and once I have done some revision I will post my thoughts:D

BANK CHARGES

Others

I am fairly sure that they won't take security in the property as by doing so it will preclude them from making you bankrupt as any amount owed has to be unsecured.

Boa...

Lovely part of the country - we have camped in Bala many timestongue2.gif.

Spent many a day at Lake Bala when I was a kid .... my god the water, it was so cold!:D

Boa..