• Tweets

• Peter McCormack says "ambition is big" and Real Bedford's attendances are increasing with promotions.View the full article
    • How does one obtain the permit? The permit team number is only open between the hours of 9am to 3pm Mon - Fri. It says on the website, To obtain an additional 2 hours, the driver must pay a tariff of £3.00 + booking fees in person at our Security Hut, is that how you get the permit also, from the security hut? What a rigmaroll that would be but maybe just another step to take to try and catch people out?
    • Anotheruser0000 bear in mind that not all Judges are equally versed in the PoFA regulations. Fortunately now most of them are but sometimes a Judge from a higher Court sits in who is well experienced  in Law but not PoFA. and so they sometimes go "offkey" because their knowledge can raise a different set of arguments and solutions. It does seem particularly unfair  when the decision is so  bad . it can also be that in some situations the motorist being a lay person is not sufficiently know ledgeable to be able to counter a Judge's decisions in a way that a barrister could.
    • The argument about the date of receipt is now dead because the PCN  does not comply with the wording  of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4.  First reason Section 9 [2] [e]  "state that the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver and invite the keeper—(i)to pay the unpaid parking charges;" Second Reason Section 9 [2][a] "specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates;" All your PCN does is mark the time you entered and left the car park. It does not include all the myriad things you do in between-driving into the car park, looking for a parking space-perhaps a disabled space or  parent and Child place@ getting the children or disabled person out of the car then going shopping. Coming back; loading the car with shopping [, getting the children or disabled into the car, taking the trolley back to the store; driving to the exit perhaps stopping to let vehicles/pedestrians cross in front of you etc. so subtracting the driving times from before and after parking can make quite a difference from their time to the actual period parking time. So the upshot is now that only the driver is responsible for paying the PCN and the keeper is not liable at all even if the name of the driver is never known by Nexus so well done for not appealing. You obviously want to keep it that way to make it very difficult for them to win in Court if it ever goes that far. Although your question is now moot since  the same objective has been achieved by the non compliant PCN [ie no keeper liability] just  about the only way to dispute the timing of the PCN would be if one kept the envelope and there was a discernible date stamp on it that did not match the date on the PCN. There is a new Act coming out [and it cannot come quickly enough ] and one of the things required is that parking companies will have to prove the date of sending out their PCNs. We are not the only ones who sometimes doubt the veracity of their dates particularly as the later it is sent [unlawfully] the shorter the period motorists have to benefit [?] from the reduced payment. I haven't seen it on your posts but do you know how long you are permitted to park for free?
    • I was so annoyed and frustrated about the fact this case was lost it's been floating around my head all night. Dave962, are you sure that's what the Judge said? .... It doesn't make sense. Did the judge in fact dismiss the case on the grounds that the defendant did not make an appeal within 28 days? Effectively telling the PPC about the error entering the registration number and providing proof of payment at that time? To me, that's an important point.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Who has had Managed Loans?

ppauls150
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5258 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i in no way wish others to be in distress, but omg am i peased i am not the only one with this hanging over my head!! i was forced at 18 years old to take out a ML to pay off in full my credit card and overdraft. my CC was about £800 i think and overdraft around £1,800. i took the loan thinking they were helping me and it was my only way of getting rid of that debt. i am now 23 and paying £46 a month which i can ill afford, and £22 a month is being taken in interest. i dont know how much of the loan was covering charges and i had no idea there was anything i might be able to do about it.

ive since moved all income barr the £46 loan money to another bank and all SO's and DD's have been moved to another account. i am purely using HSBC account to pay the ML so i am willing and able to do anything i am advised to bring them down, i cant begin to explain the anger i feel at them doing this to so many people who thought it was their only way out. HSBC the listening bank, my arse!!

any advice for me personally? i have sent prelim letter asking for charges of £1,502 and awaiting a reply.:-x

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i've got the same issue as everyone else but now i've had a letter telling me i'm in arears and dispite previous attempts to contact me i've ignored them!!

now i've not missed a payment and they have never tried to contact me!

i called them up and no one was able to take my call!

they have put a one month in arrears on my credit file from day one althought i've never missed or paid late! (tho some times when a weekend falls it takes an extra day untill the payment clears but thats not my fault!)

i hate HSBC!

People who haven't made mistakes, haven't made anything!

Guess what? I too am in the same position. My joint account with my partner was way into the red & was almost entirely made up of charges (& the interest on them which made it impossible for us to clear). On going into the bank to see what could be done about the charges - I was aiming for a refund of the previous month's charges of £220 odd so we could get back on our feet - they said the only option short of a CCJ was a managed loan. So they took away the joint overdraft but also insisted on taking the 2 CCs we were managing well & my interest free student overdraft!!! We've now been paying for £130ish a month for 3 years & have managed to clear only £1700 from an £8500 loan. At that rate I'd have been able to clear my INTEREST FREE student overdraft nearly 5 times over. What a [problem]!!! Basically they scared me into accepting with threats of court action etc

Now I'm claiming back the bank charges along with the compounded contractual interest, but not sure where I stand with the managed loan. Can I claim anything? I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone has some good news...

P.S. just looked at my statement & seen I was charged £30 yesterday for reversal of ML payment. Had transferred enough money into account yesterday to cover payment, but apparently the decision was made in the morning & if you pay in the money on the same day, the T&Cs state you have to inform the bank it's being paid in to cover that payment. HSBC have refunded the charge as a 'goodwill gesture'. Goodwill my A**e, they just can't justify it!!! Now my concern is this may jeopardise any claim I have against them.

Any thoughts anyone?

Wonder if we could make the loans void by claiming we were forced to sign under duress?!!

Only kidding! But seriously, there was a certain amount of pressure I'm sure everyone felt. I certainly felt my finances would be in ruin & I'd never get out of debt if I didn't sign...Turned out to be t'other way round

Would you feel more comfortable with the threat of court & everlasting debt hanging over you while you sign seeing as that's what we're all used to?

If you hadn't guessed I'm trying to drum up more interest in this thread to see if anyone's come up with any brainwaves to get us all out of the schtuck

Is there anyone out there???

eaxctly the same - i offered to pay them back £50 per month for an unautherised overdraft that they had let go over and added changers to - they hadn't asked for it back and i mad ethe decision to ask to pay it back - then my cards stoped working and i got a letter saying my unautherised overdraft had been turned into a managed loan along with my master card and my student over draft (interest free) both of which were within there limits and always paid on time - to me now having to pay 18%+ interest on the £1000 interest free student over draft and the 15% master card has put me in a worse situation so in my opintion is irresponsible lending - they could see iwas in triouble - they accepted my offer and they made my situation worse - i have had this £1800 loan for 15montsh now and have paid off £400 - but they have been getting £50 per month so thats £750 nearly double what they have knoced off.

when they sent me the letter accepting my offer they enclosed the managed loan forms saying that either i pay in full or sign on the line - if i paid in full i would get my faciulities revoked regardless...even tho 2 out of the 3 were completely seperate and i hadnt abused them

did i mention i hate HSBC!

Just found link to this website on another thread

LawTeacher.net | INTRODUCTION TO THE LAW OF CONTRACT

I particularly like the part where it mentions

The essential elements of a contract are:...

6. Consent

The agreement must have been entered into freely. Consent may be vitiated by duress or undue influence.

A contract which possesses all these requirements is said to be valid. The absence of an essential element will render the contract either void, voidable or unenforceable (as to which see below).

Feel free to jump in anyone with any thoughts. PLEASE!!!

Managed loan here too..........

Was 'given' £2420, to cover overdraft, credit card, paying both off, bringing me back to 'straight'?!

This was way back in November 2003. Started loan repayments of £58 per month from January 2004.

Upped the repayments to £70 in January of this year. Here's the science bit........

Have paid in total £2089 Without interest, I should only owe £331

However, I still have £1149 to go. So, looking at it, I've 'really' only paid £1270 as £818 is pure interest. Reckon I will have paid over £1500 in interest by the time I'm done. More than half what I 'borrowed'.

Only another two years or so left. Not bad eh? :rolleyes:

In comparison, I borrowed £1450 from the Halifax in Feb of this year. 12 monthly repayments at £133 per month. Total to repay £1596 Less than £150 interest. I shoulda borrowed £3000 from the Halifax over 2 years eh?

DO NOT MEDDLE IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND TASTE GOOD WITH KETCHUP....:rolleyes:

Yes I have one too.

Same old story had a loan at 7.9% plus an overdraft caused by HSBC clearing a cheque I paid in allowing me to pay mortgage by switch and then bounced the cheque I paid in. Apparently they can do this !!

Offered the managed loan to 'HELP me OUT !!' . Didn't really look into it as offered over phone as only option. Did some calcs on rate a few months ago and the rate is in excess of 20% !!

These loans definitely put a red flag on your account . (told this by branch staff).

How do we get out of these. Currently reclaiming bank charges and would love some pay back on this loan as I would have cleared my original loan by now and this one has reduced very little in 4 years !!

Claims :

HSBC Bank Charge reclaimed successfully thanks to this site :)

Hi all,

another "managed loan" here....

As some of you have already said, if it wasn't for the chargies levied by the banks, we probably wouldn't have needed the managed loan.

I was only 22 when I was "strongly advised" to take out the loan. I took it on the banks advice that it wouldn't effect my credit rating (how naive!) and I now know that my original loan is on my experian record as defaulted, and my managed loan was handed over to MCS for recovery!

Hopefully some day someone will find a way to stop the banks helping people along the way to financial meltdown!

i've been trying to follow all of this and it is really ugly. hsbc lures people (especially young and inexperienced) into using an overdraft encouraging them to treat it as free money, only it isn't. Because when you go over it, they slap a charge on. When it happens enough times and they increase the overdraft to a truly unhealthy level, they lovingly lure you into a loan to which they apply appalling interest rates and tie you to them for time and all eternity or until you win the lottery or drop dead (maybe they even ask for more back when you die!). They should be horsewhipped (as my granny used to say)! Yet they are still doing it and this is so sad - story after story of people being sucked in. It's so revealing to read this thread. Is there a happy ever after? Ok, we've gotten back the charges on the current account but is anybody saying that there is anything that can be done about the managed loans? Or is it simply a case of paying it off as long as it takes and pray it never happens again?

i cant beleive there are so many stories on here like mine. i was told it was my only option and i 'had' to do this, i was 18 years old at the time and the bank manager scared the life out of me, told me lies like it wouldnt affect my credit and would only stop me getting switch etc for 12 months. im now 23, have paid hardly anything as its mostly interest and cant get any other help from them on my account as its red flagged for good now in my opinion. just wish there was something we could do!

I wonder if enough people were to get together and actually approach the right organisations, could this sort of thing be stopped? The bank might see us as a pain in the neck as individuals, but what if something was done with the backing of several hundred or so people? These sort of managed loans make peoples lives a living hell, it doesn't just affect the time you take the loan, but is on record for a long time after that, sometimes going in to 10+ years. Just a thought.....

thats along the lines of what i was thinking. it looks like the majority of people were not far from forced to take this loan and at a time when they were vulnerable, for whatever reason. does anyone with more knowledge then me (ok, anyone at all. lol) have any idea where we would stand legally? could be get these loans voided on grounds of being forced?

Maybe we could ask for a poll to be setup for people with managed loans? This would give a clearer idea at a glance?? Maybe questions along the lines of "did the charges applied by the bank contribute to a managed loan being needed?" "were you forcefully advised to take out the loan?" "were the implications of a managed loan clearly explained to you before signing?" etc etc...

i cant beleive there are so many stories on here like mine. i was told it was my only option and i 'had' to do this, i was 18 years old at the time and the bank manager scared the life out of me, told me lies like it wouldnt affect my credit and would only stop me getting switch etc for 12 months. im now 23, have paid hardly anything as its mostly interest and cant get any other help from them on my account as its red flagged for good now in my opinion. just wish there was something we could do!

There is something that you can do.. I take it none of you read my thread regarding HSBC. I set this thread up so people would come in here gathered in one place, to show you are not the only one out there with this problem and like you say it needs to be tackled together maybe. The bee all and end all is how hard are you prepared to fight?? I am not saying it is a done deal i had soo many problems along the way with DG Solicitors, which was another reason for setting up this thread because they believe that they can do what they like, and you have to tackle them head on and stick to your guns.

Some of you say that you have defaults on your accounts now, well this is the time you stand up and fight. Be prepared to go all the way and if you have Loads of charges on your account, Mine was £2700 which was basically half of my Managed Loan why not look at disputing that you only ended up on the managed loan due to the ammount of charges if the charges is over half of what the managed loan is. You need to inform them that also if you had not been on a managed loan then you would have paid the remaining debt outstanding minus payments already made and due to the lesser interest that you would have had not being on a managed loan would of been settled some time ago. Again this is my opinion but read my thread and see what you think. The decision at the end of the day is down to you and how hard you want to take this. I in the end didnt get any money back from HSBC but what i did get was the managed loan cleared and the Default removed completely and not just satisfied.

Hope this is usefull to you all.

Paul

If you find this info useful please click on the scales in the bottom left corner of the thread :wink:

Vodafone To Remove Default Notices thread

Paid In Full HSBC Was Claiming £3851.42 But Instead of Paying Me Decided to pay my £4900 Loan OffDG Solictors. Need Help

Concluded Lloyds TSB 27/05/2006 Action Against LloydsTSB

Concluded Lloyds TSB for Girlfriend. 27/05/2006

Paid In Full Capital One £160 Settled

Paid In Full Capital One Sent 15/05/06 for £1372 for Girlfriend

Paid In Full Cetelem £130 Settled

Paid In Full The AA £400 Settled

Paid In Full First National £160 Settled

PDA LloydsTsb Credit Card Hand Delivered 26/04/06 £180

Paul - this is my thoughts entirly - i have about £400 charges - and the reason they *made* me take the managed loan was due to being £400 over my limit - they combined my up-to-date overdraft that was interest free and my credit card which i had never missed a payment on and was within its limit - i just dont see the logic - now i'm paying back 3k on what would have cost me £1500!

i will be fighting this but due to current comitmenst it will be in teh new year i think!