• Tweets

• I have received a PCN from Euro Car Parks for MFG - Esso Cobham - Gravesend. I was completely unaware that there was any such limit for parking and always considered this to be a service station. I stopped there to use the toilet, have a coffee and made a couple of work calls. I have read the previous topics on this location which suggest I can ignore this and ECP will not take legal action. The one possible complication is that the vehicle is leased by my employer so I do not want to involve them with the associated reminders and threatening letters. The PCN was first issued to the leasing company Arval who have notified ECP of the hiring company. I have attached a copy of the PCN Notice to Hirer with details removed as per instructions. What options do I have or should I just pay the PCN promptly at the reduced rate of £60? img20240424_23142631.pdf
    • What you have uploaded is a letter with daft empty threats from third-party paper tigers.  Just ignore it. What we need to see is the original invoice you received last October or November.
    • Thanks for posting the CPR contents. i do wish you hadn't blanked out the dates and times since at times they can be relevant . Can you please repost including times and dates. They say that they sent a copy of  the original  PCN that they sent to the Hirer  along with your hire agreement documents. Did you receive them and if so can you please upload the original PCN without erasing dates and times. If they did include  all the paperwork they said, then that PCN is pretty near compliant except for their error with the discount time. In the Act it isn't actually specified but to offer a discount for 14 days from the OFFENCE is a joke. the offence occurred probably a couple of months prior to you receiving your Notice to Hirer.  Also the words in parentheses n the Act have been missed off. Section 14 [5][c] (c)warn the hirer that if, after the period of 21 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice to hirer is given, the amount of unpaid parking charges referred to in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(f) or 9(2)(f) (as the case may be) has not been paid in full, the creditor will (if any applicable requirements are met) have the right to recover from the hirer so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Though it states "if any applicable ...." as opposed to "if all applicable......" in Section 8 or 9. Maybe the Site could explain what the difference between the two terms mean if there is a difference. Also on your claim form they keeper referring to you as the driver or the keeper.  You are the Hirer and only the Hirer is responsible for the charge EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T THE DRIVER. So they cannot pursue the driver and nowhere in the Hirer section of the Act is the hirer ever named as the keeper so NPC are pursuing the wrong person.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Who has had Managed Loans?

ppauls150
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5263 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Folks, In march 2005 had a personal loan with the HSBC to role up CCards I held with them and an overdraft, actual amount of loan was £15000, plus 'loan protection' whatever that is, an additional £4830.00 was added, with Insurance premium tax that went to £4836.40, total charge for credit on the principal loan is £5766.00 and on the loan protection is £1856.65, so total is £20766.00 plus £6686.65 for the loan protection over 96 months the payments would be 215.32 and 69.65 for the protection.

Soon after getting this I lost my job (November 2005) and it fell into arrears and the bank changed it to a managed loan of £20,550.00 over 108 months at an APR of 12.10% variable, the total charge for the credit would be £12,528.78. the payments jumped to £306.30 a month, it was obvious from the start I could not keep payments up on this, oh an by the way my first idea was to claim on the protection policy but they removed that from the managed loan.

I tried to make the payments with a mixture of help from others but I failed, and now metropolitan have it and have requested £150/month, I have been paying this for 6 months and its breaking me, I have sent a CCA letter to metropolitan in August and had no reply at all - any ideas I am at my wits end with it.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely the "loan protection" should have kicked in when you lost your job? Or did they find some bit of small print to avoid paying out on it..?

HSBC really are the pits for these loans - I was forced into one when I asked for a temporary increase to my overdraft as I was changing jobs (and going from weekly pay to monthly). If there was a way out of it I would grab it with both hands...

Loz

I hate Alliance + Leicester

BT: No longer a customer :)

HSBC: £1222 refunded 28/5/06; Second claim of £737-24 refunded 9/11/06; PPI + interest on personal loan refunded 27/7/08

MBNA: £100 refunded on first claim of £112; £208 refunded on second claim for £108 24/9/07; PPI £256-28 refunded 8/4/08

NatWest: £1581-71 refunded 16/12/06; personal loan CCA agreement not provided

The way your original post reads to me is that you lost your job before the change to a managed loan, so the loan protection should still have been there..? Or have I misunderstood?

Loz

I hate Alliance + Leicester

BT: No longer a customer :)

HSBC: £1222 refunded 28/5/06; Second claim of £737-24 refunded 9/11/06; PPI + interest on personal loan refunded 27/7/08

MBNA: £100 refunded on first claim of £112; £208 refunded on second claim for £108 24/9/07; PPI £256-28 refunded 8/4/08

NatWest: £1581-71 refunded 16/12/06; personal loan CCA agreement not provided

Hi there

Wait just now!!!! You had a loan with protection in case you fell sick, lost your job or died. When you lost your job they tell you that you cant pay it so they change it to a managed loan without protection and at a higher interest rate.

They are basically having a laugh!!!! The reason you couldnt pay it was because you lost your job - which is exactly the reason the protection is there in the first place.

I suggest that you write a letter of complaint setting out the pertinent points and tell them that you believe you were mis-sold the managed loan and in fact that had you been given the correct advice you could have claimed on the PPI until you found another job.

This is absolutely appalling. I would take it all the way. It would also be an idea to post this in the section on PPI. There are people there who are well versed on the pitfalls etc., of PPI and will probably be able to give you a lot of really good advice.

Good luck. I really feel for you. What a shower of sods. This is a prime example of picking on somebody when they are at their most vulnerable. I just wouldnt let it go.

Please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards

Gemspan

Did you say you sent them a CCA letter in August? if so they have 12 days to respond failure ot do so then puts the account into default............they then have a further cal month to supply the information....... if they fail to respond byu this time , they are then commiting a criminal offence..........

You need to contact the OFT & FSA and the banking ombudsman. also write to the bank/and mercantile pointing out this breach of the law, and you are passing this over to the 3 above named.......

rockin all over the world

Hi, Just had the following letter from Metropolitan, I dont understand it and seek help chaps.

Dear::::

Thank you for your letter dated 27th September 2007

Please find enclosed copy loan agreement, in respect of account number xxxxxxxxxxx as requeted. We have returned your cheque for £1.00 as there is no fee required for this information.

With reference to your HSBC bank account xxxxxxx we should advise that section 78 of the consumer credit act 1974 (the act) does not apply to current accounts. The current account is not a regulated agreement because it provides no credit. The overdraft agreement provides the credit and this sits separately from the current account agreement.

Credit agreements normally have to comply with Part V of the consumer credit act 1974. Part V coverts the form and contents of agreements, signing of agreements and duty to supply copies of unexecuted agreements. However, current account overdrafts are given a specific exemption from all the part V formality requirements by section 74(1) (b) of the act.

This exemption applies only when the OFT grant a determination under section 74(3) and this was given for overdrafts on 21 December 1989.

The consequence of this is that there is no executed agreement for a current account overdraft and so section 78 (right to demand copy of excecuted agreement) does not apply.

We trust this resolves your query.

The agreement they have enclosed signed by me on the 5/12/05 is a fixed-sum loan agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974

HELP

hi guys, i got this in from MCOL today in relation to my question (as per gemspans bit above in this thread)

i got this reply

Thank you for your e-mail. We are awaiting another defence form the defendant as they first of all filed a holding defence which is usually only filed for bank charges claims. They have been given until 21st October 2007 to provide this. You should wait until this time has passed before proceeding. You will be notified if the new defence is filed and will be sent a copy and the claim will be transferred to local court for a hearing. If no defence is received then you will be able to request judgment by default.

what does a 'judgement by default' mean exactly, i have seen it mentioned in other threads etc, but what it does it mean in this case?

thanks

P

HSBC BANK

** DECEMBER 2006 - RECEIVED CHEQUE FOR FULL AMOUNT!!!! ** £5967.00:)

LLOYDS TSB

**JANUARY 2007- RECEIVED CHEQUE FOR FULL AMOUNT!!!! ** £1340:)

HSBC BANK - Managed Loan/Interest

still chasing, have submiited claim thru MCOl - date sent to my local court - claim is going ahead Jan 29th 2008 :(

CURRENTLY CHASING

NATIONWIDE (WIFES ACCOUNT)

HSBC (managed loan)

others won:

CAPITAL ONE C/CARD (mine & wifes), :)

BOXCLEVER TV RENTAL, BHS STORECARD, BLACKHORSE FINANCE,HSBC PPI INSURANCE FOR SBL, PPI INSURNACE FO LLOYDS TSB LOAN,

Hi, Just had the following letter from Metropolitan, I dont understand it and seek help chaps.

Dear::::

Thank you for your letter dated 27th September 2007

Please find enclosed copy loan agreement, in respect of account number xxxxxxxxxxx as requeted. We have returned your cheque for £1.00 as there is no fee required for this information.

With reference to your HSBC bank account xxxxxxx we should advise that section 78 of the consumer credit act 1974 (the act) does not apply to current accounts. The current account is not a regulated agreement because it provides no credit. The overdraft agreement provides the credit and this sits separately from the current account agreement.

Credit agreements normally have to comply with Part V of the consumer credit act 1974. Part V coverts the form and contents of agreements, signing of agreements and duty to supply copies of unexecuted agreements. However, current account overdrafts are given a specific exemption from all the part V formality requirements by section 74(1) (b) of the act.

This exemption applies only when the OFT grant a determination under section 74(3) and this was given for overdrafts on 21 December 1989.

The consequence of this is that there is no executed agreement for a current account overdraft and so section 78 (right to demand copy of excecuted agreement) does not apply.

We trust this resolves your query.

The agreement they have enclosed signed by me on the 5/12/05 is a fixed-sum loan agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974

HELP

Hi there

They've sent you a copy of your loan agreement as requested. Are you querying a bank account as well? If so, they are telling you that there is no agreement relating to the bank account because cheque accounts dont fall under the clause. An overdraft, however, does and they need to send you the agreement you entered into ie date, length of time, interest rate etc.,

Make sure that the loan agreement has all the required terms because if it doesnt it is unenforceable. However, I believe it is unenforceable anyway because of the fact that they cancelled your insurance which could have paid for the original loan. You have a very strong case IMO>

Kind regards

Gemspan

Hi Pete

Judgement by default simply means that they havent bothered to contest the claim so you have won!!!! This would then mean that you can get your loan re-assessed by HSBC in accordance with the judgement.

Kind regards

Gemspan

PS: Wait the required time. Dont contact them and see what happens. They may defend it, in which case you would then get a court date and it would be heard before a judge.

Hi there

I had a managed loan which cost me a fortune. The bank has a list of things you can, and more realistically, can't do, when yolu have a managed laon.

For instance you are not allowed an ovedraft. If you do go over drawn the chages are twice what they normally charge. I used the cash dispenser to obtain cash on the basis that if there was no money in the account, the cash machine wouldn't give me anything and therefore I wouldn't be able to go overdrawn and break the rule. Wrong, my bank kept on sending me letters at the usual 30 quid plus overdraft charge of 30 quid. When asked how I could be allowd t go overdrawn by the bank and then charged for the pleasure they replied that the bank will always allow up to 10 pounds to be obtained from a cash point machine to cater for emergency situations and it was my fault for not knowing this.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

• 2 weeks later...

got letter back from DG solictiotrs on Friday 19th.............thanks for your letter dated blah blah

we confirm that we are recalling our clients earlier file realting to your previous county court claim (do they mean the one i did last year for the bank charges?) once tha has been considered we will be in a position to provide a detialed reply to your letter. yours DG

my letter contained pretty much points raised in the above thread and some very useful comments from gemspan et al. i know its a standard fob off response, but im assuming they have had a kcik up the backside by the simple fact the court HAVE removed my stay, as this DOES NOT relate to bank charges (kinda does though - indirectly!) so now things are movign again....im still paying back the loan untill this gets sorted as i dotn want to defualt and get any blacklistigns or mess up my credit report....

HSBC BANK

LLOYDS TSB

still chasing, have submiited claim thru MCOl - date sent to my local court - claim is going ahead Jan 29th 2008 :(

CURRENTLY CHASING

HSBC (managed loan)

others won:

BOXCLEVER TV RENTAL, BHS STORECARD, BLACKHORSE FINANCE,HSBC PPI INSURANCE FOR SBL, PPI INSURNACE FO LLOYDS TSB LOAN,

• 2 weeks later...

just had a new letter from DG today - with exactly the same defence as the one they previsouly submitted, so it looks like they are intending to defend the claim - looks like i will be going to court then!! ironically i had a missed call on my mobile yesterday from HSBC - i called it back one of those stoopid 0800 numbers...'no need to call back'...i dont know if it was related or not?

anything i should now do as this has been transferred to my local court?

HSBC BANK

LLOYDS TSB

CURRENTLY CHASING

HSBC (managed loan)

others won:

Thanks for that.

do you think its possible (as the have staed they clearly intedn to defend this claim) and have submitted a serious defence that it will go to court, even though any judge/normal person will see that the case stacks in my favor and the evidence i have to proove my case is unquestionable, or will they DG/HSBC string it out for a while (like they did on the bank charges) and then at the 11th hour - 'make an offer' ??? anyone have any experince of a ML being handled like this in the courts.

Pete

HSBC BANK

LLOYDS TSB

CURRENTLY CHASING

HSBC (managed loan)

others won:

Really Pete, its not about them making an offer, its about them re-negotiating the loan that includes bank charges. Nobody call tell what these guys do as they are a law unto themselves but it is in their favour to start to negotiate with you prior to the hearing as its going to cost them. Bank of Scotland said they were defending my case and settled with me so the chances are they will settle. Again though nobody knows. I personally think they are just trying to scare you. Dont let them. Be strong in your case and you will win if it does go to court.

Gemspan

reassuringly appreciative again of your comments, thanks gemspan :) Pete

HSBC BANK

LLOYDS TSB

CURRENTLY CHASING

HSBC (managed loan)

others won:

Hi there

They've sent you a copy of your loan agreement as requested. Are you querying a bank account as well? If so, they are telling you that there is no agreement relating to the bank account because cheque accounts dont fall under the clause. An overdraft, however, does and they need to send you the agreement you entered into ie date, length of time, interest rate etc.,

Make sure that the loan agreement has all the required terms because if it doesnt it is unenforceable. However, I believe it is unenforceable anyway because of the fact that they cancelled your insurance which could have paid for the original loan. You have a very strong case IMO>

Kind regards

Gemspan

Hi I sent MCA a letter saying that I think the managed loan had been missold as I had protection on the first managed loan, they changed it to one that didnt have protection, I have today had a first letter (7day) from DG Solicitors

What should I do now???

Hi I sent MCA a letter saying that I think the managed loan had been missold as I had protection on the first managed loan, they changed it to one that didnt have protection, I have today had a first letter (7day) from DG Solicitors

What should I do now???

Until you get a reply to your letter your loan is in dispute.

write back to DG telling them that you are awaiting a reply from MCA and until you receive this the loan is in dispute and you will defend any action they take on that basis.

The court has the power to demand any information that they are unwilling to provide.

pete

Until you get a reply to your letter your loan is in dispute.

write back to DG telling them that you are awaiting a reply from MCA and until you receive this the loan is in dispute and you will defend any action they take on that basis.

The court has the power to demand any information that they are unwilling to provide.

pete

Thanks Pete, I am compiling a letter with a copy of the original managed loan agreement with the protection on it and the newer one with it removed?

got my letter this morning - court date set of 29th Jan 2008, have heard nothign back from DG in relation to re-negotiating my loan amount. was hopign i would, seems i now a proper fight on my hands... :(

HSBC BANK

LLOYDS TSB

CURRENTLY CHASING

HSBC (managed loan)

others won:

Ive had a letter in reply to my dispute letter from Dg and it goes like this,

please provide us with any supporting documents you may have so that we may investigate your query.

please be advised that it is the responsibility of the policy holder to make a claim with the insurance company direct.

we shall hold this matter in abeyance for ten days pending receipt of the above.

I have already sent them, original managed loan agreement with protection, and second managed loan agreemnt with no protection.

what next do you reckon folks

regards

elevated

Hi there

Firstly, Pete, you may not have a fight on your hands. They have until the very last minute to start negotiating. Perhaps a letter at the beginning of January reminding them that you are going to fight would be in order if they havent contacted you before then.

Elevated, simply write back to them and advise them that you have sent all the documents relating to your query and you are querying the mis-selling of the second managed loan etc., etc.,

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Annie