• Tweets

• I understand that the most recent promise was that the car would be delivered to you yesterday. Please could you bring us up to date. Did you receive the car? If so, is the car okay?  
    • On a side note – I think that if they didn't collect the items from you within the next seven days, then particularly given their size and weight – about 26 kg each – I would put Amazon on notice that I was going to be charging them storage. I think £5 per day is probably not unreasonable – although don't expect Amazon to be happy about it.
    • I think that whatever you eventually do, because you are within 30 days of the delivery of each damaged table saw, you should assert your right to reject them under the Consumer Rights Act. You wouldn't normally need to do this with Amazon – but I think that it is a prudent thing to do in the circumstances and it protects your position in case there is any question arrived in the future. So I suggest for the moment that you send to letters – separate envelopes – to Amazon identifying the items by their invoice reference number or whatever and that they have arrived in a damage date and because you are reacting within 30 days, you are now formally rejecting the items under the consumer rights act 2015 and that Amazon should make immediate arrangements to collect the items from you. As I have said, send the letters separately – but also try to confirm by sending Amazon an email using their contact system and maybe some other email address – keep copies of everything. The letters of rejection should be sent at least by recorded delivery. What is interesting here is that you have spent vouchers on an item which was sold to you at £272. Looking at the link you have posted, it now appears that the price has increased to £359 and so there is no doubt in my mind that you should be entitled to a Bosch table saw even though it is now that price. The objective of contract damages is to put you into the position that you would have been if the contract had not been breached. This means that your expectation at the end of a successful transaction would be to be in possession of a Bosch table saw. If that means that it is going to take £359 to put you into that post-contract position, then so be it. If you are prepared to accept a Bosch table saw instead of the DeWalt one which you apparently now prefer, then even if you found one elsewhere at say, £400, you will be entitled to claim the cost of that from Amazon. It gets a bit more complicated if you singly want your money back. If you want your money back then I think that you are only entitled to the value of the vouchers. If Amazon are unable to supply the saw table then it seems to me that you are entitled to receive the cash – and of course that is where Amazon will grind their heels in to the point where you may have to bring a small claim against them for the value of the vouchers. If this is what eventually happened – that you had to issue a court claim – then I think you are not looking at any resolution in the very near future. I can imagine that Amazon would object and muster a lot of energy to defending the claim. I can imagine that it would go on for at least six months and maybe more. I think you need to factor this delay into your calculations about how to deal with this. So I think broadly the position is that if you want the DeWalt then we can probably help you get your £272 cash which you could use to pay towards the DeWalt – but it will take quite a bit of time. If you are prepared to settle for a Bosch table saw then in the event that Amazon are unable to supply one, I think that you could quite reasonably source one elsewhere and if it was more expensive, one Amazon that this is what you are going to do and that you would be looking to them for the full reimbursement. This also would take quite a few months. I notice that one of Amazon's third-party sellers is selling a Bosch table saw for £429. Of course to buy this quickly, you would have to fork out the money now and then start claiming against Amazon. The problem of dealing with Amazon is that although they are generally speaking excellent, when things go wrong, they become very difficult to deal with. They are so huge that they don't act rationally in an economic kind of way. Amazon are not used to being pushed around and they don't have the mechanism for dealing with things. They don't seem to be able to escalate things rapidly to a responsible human person who will look at the problem and understand the principles. It's all done by procedures and that means it becomes very cumbersome to deal with. I've given a pretty convoluted reply here. Have a look and tell me how I can clarify things that you don't understand  
    • I googled North State and found some views on it. The reviews look pretty damning to me, I'm afraid.   https://www.forexbrokerz.com/brokers/northstate-review   https://theforexreview.com/2020/08/31/northstate-review/   https://www.financebrokerage.com/northstate-io-review/   https://www.wibestbroker.com/northstate-review/   HB    
    • Their own very small print at the end states that this is a high risk inestment and that you could lose everything you put in - and more. They're based in the Commonwealth of Dominica in the Caribbean, so no UK regulator unless I've missed something.   I don't think my view has changed, sadly.   HB
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• Ebay Packlink and Hermes - destroyed item as it was "damaged". https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/430396-ebay-packlink-and-hermes-destroyed-item-as-it-was-damaged/&do=findComment&comment=5087347
      • 32 replies
    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
  • Recommended Topics

• Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4690 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wonder if somebody can help me. I purchased a car on finance through Capital bank. I am 3 years into the repayments. I have had a couple of difficulties along the way with keeping up with the repayments. I have received charges some month of over £50. Do you think that I have a case for claiming back the charges. ????

I Claimed my charges back.......... Ask for a statement of all charges. and once you have a total request the payment from them. They first offered half the money. I rejected this and said that I would persue them through the courts. The following week a cheque arrived in the post for the full amount without any arguments !! so go gor it !!! :p

cheers for that guys. Jake44 was you charges through Capital bank. Also I am still making repayments to Capital bank so dont want them to start being funny.

My account was cleared when I collected the charges from them . How long do you still have to pay. ? It shouldn't matter if your account is open or closed they are still charges that you can recover.........

I claimed them about six months ago. The account had been cleared a few months before that............ My charges over the years were £1200 !! and they paid up in full........ :p

Hi

Just ask them for a list of all charges to date on account number xxxxxxx

It comes back like a statement that lists the charges. Your next letter is in reference to charges from ( date of 1st charge till the last one on the account ) They were quite quick in sending the statement through. Don't know if I was just one of the lucky ones to get a quick pay oit ! good luck and keep me posted.......

• 2 weeks later...

Now you have a figure send a polite letter requesting the charges that have been made to your account . Guaranteed they will refuse............

That is when you get a bit tougher and state that you will have no further option than to go through the courts to persue your money.... Fingers crossed...