• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Landlord kept 1000 deposit to fund new bathroom - please help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5793 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope someone can help.

I moved out of privately rented accommodation on 30th April this year. I started my tenancy on 1st April 2005. I initially put down a £1000 deposit and have just received a letter from the landlord with a breakdown of costs to the home. We did not complete or sign an inventory prior to tenancy.

He has informed me that as there was a crack to the cistern top of the toilet, he could not get a replacement and therefore has had to pay out £600 for a new bathroom suite. He has also charged me £225.00 for cleaning, which between me and my mum over 2 days left this house spotless. On top of that he has charged me 81.50 to clip his conifers and some weeding of a 10 x 8 front garden. 30 to re-align some wonky cupboard doors, £20 for a missing light switch, and some other little petty extras.

I think these charges are totally unreasonable, and as I am not protected by this new deposit scheme am unsure what my legal rights are. Can he just go ahead and arrange for a new bathroom suite to be fitted? Does he not have to provide me with quotes first? He hasn't provided me with any receipts.

I have read the other threads and have printed off the letter before action, do you think I should respond to his letter with the letter before action first, or should I just reply asking him to forward me on all receipted documentation.

I would appreciate some help.

Many thanks.

- When did you commence the tenancy?

- How old was the bathroom suite(roughly)?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

If the landlord is claiming damages, the onus is on him to prove a) the damage itself and b) the cost that this damage has cost him. As part of this, the landlord is entitled to replace "like for like", and is not entitled to "betterment". I.E. - he is only entitled to charge you what it would cost to supply and fit a 8 year old bathroom suite, which will clearly be considerably less.

All that said, should there be no inventory, it will be difficult to prove A) anyway - he will struggle(although it is possible, contrary to many posts on these forums) to prove damage without a "base condition" at the beginning of the tenancy, which is normally done using an inventory.

Finally, there could be an argument(not one I would subscribe to, but it is quite subjective) that this kind of damage could constitute "fair wear and tear" anyway.

All in, you probably have a good case legally for the return of at least parts of the deposit claimed. What would be useful is a bullet point list of the damages and amount claimed?

Also, I guess you didnt take photos on leaving and/or entering the property? Although I am guessing that you may have witnesses to the condition of the property at the commencement and end of the tenancy?

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

hi hippychick,

i'm going through a similar experience to you. i sent the LBA but the LL continues to hold the deposit (and has refused to provide a break down or invoices, etc) in fact he has now refused to even talk to me so its onwards with the court case.

Like you there was no initial itinerary But I am now in the process of getting witness statements contradicting everything he claims. Including the ex-caretaker who will confirm the LL is lying and that he carried out the work that the LL is claiming to be 'damage'.

All that said, should there be no inventory, it will be difficult to prove A) anyway - he will struggle(although it is possible, contrary to many posts on these forums)
I do think its important to remember that if you KNOW you did not cause this damage the landlord should not be able to 'prove' a damn thing.

All I can say is I have read an enormous amount of legal documents, posted on this and landlordzone forum and run everything past a solicitor (through work) and you do sound to be a good position. With a bit of luck your exLL will back down with that LBA. I suspect mine doesn't expect me to go through with the court case, he has underestimated me!

By any chance are you aware of the annual gas safety inspections that are required by law? You should have a copy of the certificates sent within 28 days. My philosophy now is if someone tries to rip you off, fight back with a bigger weapon. I'm currently looking into the gas safety, permissions for grade II listed buildings permissions and think i may have come across some naughty dealings regarding tax and property ownership too.

PM me if you would like to exchange notes and support ;)

Abbey National

Approx £250 bank charges refunded by Abbey National

Close Premium Finance

£30 refund of default payments refunded after they messed up a DD

United Utilities

£25 compensation from United Utilities for a stream of errors on my account. Started in November and still awaiting closure and cheque in May 2008

I do think its important to remember that if you KNOW you did not cause this damage the landlord should not be able to 'prove' a damn thing.

Wholly agree, but the key word is "should"...

how can something that is not true be 'proven'?

:)

Abbey National

Close Premium Finance

United Utilities

£25 compensation from United Utilities for a stream of errors on my account. Started in November and still awaiting closure and cheque in May 2008

Quite(scarily) easily - you have to remember that small claims isnt "beyond reasonable doubt" - it is based on "weighing up of the evidence" and a large part of this comes down to "who the judge believes"....

Guest Alison82

Take him to court and let a judge decide, you have more to gain than to lose. I hate LL's like this

and a large part of this comes down to "who the judge believes"....

that is what ive been posting about regarding my own issues to start with all i had was 'my word against his' and then i came here and was given the impression he doesnt stand a chance without an itinerary. I then did my own research and found a number of case examples that confirmed it.

Do you have any links to case examples where the tenant lost despite there being no itinerary so we can gauge what might be considered strong enough evidence of 'proof'?

Abbey National

Close Premium Finance

United Utilities

I dont unfortunately - wish I did!

The important thing to remember is that an inventory is VERY important, as it provides a base condition of the property. HOWEVER, it is not the ONLY way to show this base condition. For example, although none-agreed photographs showing the base condition of the property will not have as much "clout" as those signed by the tenant, they can be considered, especially in conjunction with other evidence.

My experience is that although an inventory is fairly critical for the landlord in the case of damage claims, it should never ever be construed as "black and white" as many people(especially here) claim.

barella, can you post and/or PM me with links to the cases you have found? Would be interested to read them...thanks!

yeah, as soon as ive got everything in order i'll post the links list on the forum, might be useful to others too!

Abbey National

Close Premium Finance

United Utilities

Thank you all for your advice I really appreciate it.

The LL knows that I didn't cause the damage to the cistern, it was already there when we moved with a small hairline crack on the cover, which over the 2 years just got bigger and bigger. I wish I had signed an inventory now, big lesson learnt!

I am shocked that the LL didn't even discuss replacing the bathroom he just sent me a letter with a breakdown of what he has taken out of my deposit, and stated that £600 was used for a new bathroom suite, because he couldn't match the cistern top.

Once I've sent the LBA, and if I get any response, I will post on here.

The LL knows that I didn't cause the damage to the cistern, it was already there when we moved with a small hairline crack on the cover, which over the 2 years just got bigger and bigger...

...stated that £600 was used for a new bathroom suite, because he couldn't match the cistern top.

this is uncanny.

In my case, there was a 'raised mark' on one of the kitchen tops (possibly a burn) which was there when I moved in. It flaked a bit over the next 2 years & 4 months but I'm sure it would have been worse if I wasn't kitchen shy. He is saying same to me; if he cant match the kitchen top the 'whole lot' will have to be replaced. It's one of those low cost laminated worktops which are common and cheap to replace so it will be interesting to see what he comes back with.

I loved the LBA referring to not being able to use the deposit for 'betterment' or as a 'redecoration fund'.

good luck, let us know how you get on :)

Abbey National

Close Premium Finance

United Utilities

he just sent me a letter with a breakdown of what he has taken out of my deposit, and stated that £600 was used for a new bathroom suite, because he couldn't match the cistern top.

if this went to court he would need to provide evidence of the costs. if he's anything like my exlandlord he probably won't even replace it and will have plucked a sum out of fresh air.

In any case (should it not come under wear and tear and assuming its down to your word against his) he cant replace it with new (betterment), it has to be like for like. According to Google you can pick up bathroom suites for anything from a hundred quid.

Abbey National

Close Premium Finance

United Utilities

Hi hippychick.

Cleaning costs are not chargeable. The landlord can not charge you for cleaning.

Is this definitely true? I've always been led to believe that a cleaning charge was standard. I'm not sure a judge would consider it unreasonable to charge for cleaning and i expect the cost would depend on what level of cleaning was required, if the place is covered in dog hair the carpets would need more than a hoover.

In my new tenancy agreement it states a standard charge of £60 will be deducted for cleaning at the end of the tenancy which is fine with me because I would rather pay someone anyway than spend all day doing it myself. But I thought it was a bit cheeky that when we moved in it wasnt cleaned for us!. It was covered in dust (a new build). The agreement also states that if we want to keep a pet we have to pay a deposit of another 2 weeks rent (£over £400) to cover potential costs of specialist cleaning.

Abbey National

Close Premium Finance

United Utilities

Hi hippychick.

Cleaning costs are not chargeable. The landlord can not charge you for cleaning.

Badger, with respect, this is the second post you have said the same thing, and it is complete rubbish. I would advise you post evidence backing this up or stop misleading people!!

Cleaning is chargeable - the property must be put back into the original condition minus wear and tear. Wear and tear does not cover the grease behind the cooker, or the dust in the back of the wardrobe, etc.; things like marks on painted walls are arguably wear and tear depending on length of tenancy, severity of marks and original condition of paintwork.

The court rate for work carried out by litigants in their own time is £9.25 p/h, and has been suggested on here before as a resonable amount for a landlord to charge when carrying out (necessary and documented) remedies.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

In badgers' defence i've heard that if the property was not cleaned professionally before the tenant moves in then the LL or agents are not allowed to charge for professional cleaning on exit

Maybe this is what he means?

Hey CG. He answered the query on another thread....never clarified though :)

Well, this solicitor says it is chargeable:

Residential Landlord - Feature of the month

If the property has been left in a dirty state, the landlord can also charge for cleaning. However, cleaning should not be deducted as a matter of course for all properties, it should only be claimed if the property is genuinely dirty.