Jump to content

Contents Claim Please help!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4891 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

I'm a newbie so probably posting in the wrong place! I have stupidly lost my engagement ring in the house somewhere I have searched all over and cannot find it anywhere! All I can think now is it's fallen off whilst putting rubbish in the bin!!

I have standard contents insurance and have my ring as a specified item due to the value. Will I be covered on my policy to claim??


any help much appreicated as I am distraught



Link to post
Share on other sites

unless you have personall possessions cover, I dont think contents cover would extend.


If item is still in house & misplaced, this is not classed as lost.


If item has been put out with the rubbish, accidental loss would only apply to personal possessions cover.


it all depends who you are insured with,as all companys must put their policy wording online we could check the wording.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When you say "specified" did you specify it as a valuable under the contents cover or under your Personal Possessions cover?

Vusys1 is quite right, if you haven't got PP cover then it wont be covered for loss, it would only be covered for the main perils like theft/fire/flood etc.

Ring up your insurer and ask them if you are covered, they will be able to tell you straight away.



If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)


"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your help, am insured with more than I specified it as a valuable item I am pretty sure we don't have personal posessions extension as I've never even heard of this!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just downloaded More Than's policy booklet from their website to have a look at it and it mentions Personal Possessions cover on page 13. It's a policy extension that you have to pay extra for, but it should tell you on your policy schedule whether or not you have it.


Under Personal Possessions the policy booklet says:

Personal Possessions

Covers your possessions against accidental

damage or loss while in or away from your

home in the British Isles and up to 60 days


You can choose to cover:

– unspecified items only

– unspecified and specified items

– specified items only

Unspecified items are those worth less than

£1,500 each – a minimum sum insured of

£1,500 applies to these items in total although

this amount can be increased if you wish.

Specified items are those worth more than

£1,500 each and these items must be listed



When you said that you had the ring as a specified item, you will need to check whether it was specified in the Personal Possessions section or the

"High Value & High Risk Items" section. As long as it's the Personal Possessions section, it will be covered.

Link to post
Share on other sites

item was probably specified as a valuable within the contents cover as it went over the single item limit for valuables.



if you have 30k contents cover and single article limit is usually 10% = £3000, so if you had a ring @ 5K you would have to specify within the contents to make sure it was covered for the full value.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I'm pretty sure that I don't have personal possessions cover only had it specified as a valuable item within the main contents cover for the value per valuation certificate I have. Guess I;m not covered then!!

Best ring and double check and might as well take the cover off now!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the ring is specified on the policy then its insured in and away from the home seperatley the personal belongings away from home cover will have a single item limit so if your ring is 3k & pb limit per item is 2k then having pb on the policy wont make a difference to the ring as it wont be covered under this as it exceeds the 2k limit! the insurer may play up by saying if its at home somewhere its not lost but some will pay out depends who your with.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...



Its my first day on the site and already late for work but stumbled across your issue so for a quick reply i hope this will help.


Standard policy there would be no cover as your insurers would simple decline the claim stating that the ring had been not lost but mis-placed and there is no cover for mis-placing something.


If you had PP then yes the would be cover as theis section covers loss within and outside the boundarys of your home.


having worked for Insurers and Loss adjusters I believe I would fight the corner that a specified item is also covered like the pp. its normally decribed as martini of insurance hence the covered anytime, anyplace, any where... read your policy booklet on the specified items as this may inform you better... I belive I am correct in this paragraph



Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...