trianglehead

I can't believe they said this...

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 5132 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

After successfully receiving 2 weeks ago all of the charges detailed in my first letter (sent a month ago), I had to remind them via another "prelim" letter that I still required the repayment of several charges taken in the last month.

Well... Today I received an interesting secure message...

I've arranged for a refund of the £xxx to your account. I've also cancelled the pending charges, totalling £x, due to be removed on xxx xx.

The charges applied to your account have resulted from breaches of our terms & conditions. I need to let you know that, if future requests for the return of charges are received, we might need to consider a review of your banking facilities in light of this.

A threat - but it is an empty one - can they do this?? I was just getting geared up to go after the charges on my Smile VISA.

What do you think? Maybe I should leave it there. I think I do want to continue to bank with Smile.

Trianglehead.

"Banking facilities" can mean a lot of things, surely? It may simply mean that they might withdraw your overdraft facility, for example.

Having said that, when I was with smile I received similar messages that I found slightly patronising. This is one of the reasons I left Smile (primary being their charges!).

It could be an empty threat. On the other hand, if you do complain about charges again they might simply refer to their terms and conditions and close down your account. It's hard to know!

After successfully receiving 2 weeks ago all of the charges detailed in my first letter (sent a month ago), I had to remind them via another "prelim" letter that I still required the repayment of several charges taken in the last month.

Well... Today I received an interesting secure message...

I've arranged for a refund of the £xxx to your account. I've also cancelled the pending charges, totalling £x, due to be removed on xxx xx.

The charges applied to your account have resulted from breaches of our terms & conditions. I need to let you know that, if future requests for the return of charges are received, we might need to consider a review of your banking facilities in light of this.

A threat - but it is an empty one - can they do this?? I was just getting geared up to go after the charges on my Smile VISA.

What do you think? Maybe I should leave it there. I think I do want to continue to bank with Smile.

Trianglehead.

Alliance and Leicester have been closing accounts, and the advise is always to open a parachute account just in case. This is the first time that I have heard of threats from smile, but I think we need to wait and see what they have in mind before deciding what steps to take next.

As to whether they can do it, no they shouldn't. Then again they shouldn't dish out penalty charges, but they do.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

i sent them a secure message about the outstanding charges, and recieved a standard reply by letter a week later so have to start from scratch again.

at least you got your additional charges back straight away. :(