• Tweets

• The digital bank has introduced three new plans - Extra, Perks and Max - replacing its existing Plus and Premium plans for new customers.View the full article
    • Agree it is not a modification that needs to be disclosed to Insurers as changing the seats has not changed the risk.  
    • Frpm David Frost and Robert Jenrick: 'Conservatives must show we respect the votes in 2016 and 2019 and not give the Opposition the chance to undo the benefits of leaving the EU'   Sweep away the Brexit gloom – or Labour will unravel a huge gain ARCHIVE.PH archived 22 Apr 2024 05:47:50 UTC  
    • Please please help we were miss sold full fibre by EE July 22  Install couldn’t go ahead no equipment sent and no. Survey it was hell  foind out no full fibre in road so we had to go back to cooper no choice we involved. Ceo and they put in a man from customer resolution s  he was vile he told me I had to go to engineers  something very odd about the ex resolution s in bt basically they took my drive up said they Would put ducting in ready for full fibre we have got £ 40 for a hours upon hours phones stress and more told to go to ombudsman  then bill was £35 we called twice told it was that price as they had treated us appalling two weeks later all sky package gets pulled we call again our bill goes to 165 the next two weeks was hell trying to get yo bottom why it’s off our package it was all on in the end I spent a day on the phone  341 mins was the call anyway I got to the bottom it was this resolution man coveting up the other issue another deadlock  to cover it all up  they hide data  ee did so couldn’t get the miss sell in writing I have now only from sept  Basically now we tried getting full fibre and they have found my drive had to be taken up again which has sunk .  The engineer has placed the wrong ducting again under my drive and need s to be taken to again apparently and the pipe sticks up middle of the drive near gate not behind look so odd it’s a big as a drain pipe open to water and it’s below touching the electrical cables to hot tub . I was sent a letter from the ex resolution to say I had stopped the work  I haven’t  it’s so sadistic she covering up for her mate in that team as the orginal install he didn’t check it had been done correctly  I took to Twitter and posted on open reach they ignored me then after 3 calls of two weeks they sent a engineer bt ignored me ceo emails blocked tag on Twitter unanswered then we get someone from twitter send a engineer he written report to say it’s dangerous since we have  had a  letter to say our problem can not be resolved  then a email to say sorry we are leaving and we can’t get into our account Bt will not talk to us ofcom tells us nothing they can do Citzens advice said go to the police  we can’t go back to virgin due so mass issue with them only option is sky  but point is they make out we have canceled we haven’t we have this mess on our drive dangeous work we are in hell  it’s like she covering up for this collegue it’s all very odd I am disabled and they like played mentaly with me open reach say bt resolved the issue no they have not  I recon they have terminated us making our we have  to hide it from mgt  Help it’s hell I don’t sleep we have 29 may we have tried  calling they just ignore me  at first they are so lovely as they say I am then they go to nnamager and say we can’t say anything to you end call  Scared police are rubbish I need help even typing is so painfull  Thankyou  anyone hello be so grateful     
    • There's a thread somewhere about someone sending the baillifs against Wizzair that is quite hilarious. I would love to see someone do the same to Ryanair. Question is, should you be the one to take that role. You are entitled to the £220, if your flight was from the UK. If it was TO the UK I suppose it is more of a grey area... though the airlines I know have been using £220 as standard. Not that surprising for Ryanair, the worst cheapskates in the universe, to go for the lower amount, and if you forward this to the CEO he will probably have a jolly good laugh and give his accountants a verbal bonus. After all he's the one who said and I paraphrase "F*** our customers, they'll fly with us again anyway". While we would all love to see Ryanair get wooped in court again, I have to join my fellow posters in thinking it's not worth the hassle for (hypothetically) £7 and not sure it will expedite the payment either. It's already an achievement that you got them to accept to pay.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Enron vs NAT WEST Business Account OD Charges ** OFFER MADE

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5771 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just had Nat West contact me this morning, opening the envelope I fully believed it to be a written justification of their charges.... which unsurprisingly was there.

However included along with this was an offer in full & final settlement of my claim.

This wasn't a partial offer, but an offer for the whole thing - well minus 50p but I can live with that.

So think that Nat West might be softenning on their stance.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

Well, well, well ?

Very interesting.

Wonder if their a bit nervous about the imminent announcement upon historic terms, and/or if there will be anything more specific raised with regards the penalty aspect upon Business accounts ?

What rate of interest did you apply ?

PM

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

Spreadsheet had 8% on it, however this hasnt even been filed via the N1 yet - hence my surprise. That was gonna happen in a couple of days time.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

Brilliant well done

KBO

If you can't fight, wear a big hat.

Halifax... 2 successful claims....£518

CitiCards..... judgement and cheque (26/7/07) .... won £900

RBS business..... .....stay lifted reissued N1..... won £2105

Midland1 business.1996/1997.. first letter (27/6/07)....£1470

First Direct...... first letter (30/6/07).... £839.... stayed

plus another 13 banks/business/cc's to come for £10,000 plus.

I've been musing over recent events in regards to Business claims, and had the following thoughts/ theory.

It is curios that despite all the blustering and feather ruffling on behalf of the banks they have often consciously chosen to still deal with and settle a fair number of business claims, despite being so happy to keep all personal account claims held up in the system.

This is curious, because the main aspects of the OFT case dealing with the UTCCR do not apply to Business accounts anyway. So they can't be choosing to settle Business claims in some effort to pre-empt the (now more likely) possibility that the verdict under UTCCR may not ultimately go in the Banks favour?

If so, they would surely be choosing to cut their losses more effectively by doing the same with the vastly greater number of personal account claims.

Also, early signs from the recent ruling seem to indicate that the penalty under common law aspect do not apply to currents T&C's.

So this just leaves the possibility that the Banks are nervous (or perhaps maybe even believe they've little chance of success) regards the courts ruling regards all or some of the other historic terms.

This leads me to a couple of conclusions;

Firstly, that the Banks may not be so sure about winning the 'penalty under common law' argument all the across the board. Some terms (both personal and Business) may still actually be deemed as making such charges penalties under common law.

However, they probably figure, that even if some of the historic terms for personal accounts are actually deemed to make them penalties under common law, that most personal account claimants would not be too bothered to use it anyway (given that they can just more easily just claim using the less messy and less contentious statute of the UTCCR).

Secondly, I also think that if some (or even all) historic Business account terms are ultimately deemed as making the charges penalties under common law, they are worried that they could be left with a backlog of Business claims brought under common law. These could also include some hefty interest claims, especially as such a ruling could also open the door for claiming commercial compounded rates (and Business claimants are just the kind of people who would probably more readily fight for such).

In short Enron, perhaps they are choosing to settle now and pay 8%, rather than face the possibility that the door could still be flung open for some claims brought under common law, and this could then lead to Business claimants then also going for CCI too.

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

Didnt get the 8% as they have settled before I have filed paper - but they are settling for 50p short of what I was asking for.

My thoughts are that their is case law present that relates to penalty charges in the form of dunlop etc.

There is the likelihood that they don't want a big payout to hit the headlines, which would alert businesses to the prospect of claiming - as they are more likely to do so than the individual if such an event was to occur.

How long have they given you to decide to accept or not ?

How much would the 8% come to if you got it?

Would that be more or less than the court costs they would have to pay if you actually filed?

Ultimately the decision is your own to make, and should be based upon if you find the figure acceptable, how much you want/need to the money, personal circumstances, and whether or not your prepared to take any further possible risk.

I know what I would perhaps do, I would maybe consider If the deadline for acceptance encompasses the date that the next announcements may be made regards historic terms, so maybe wait and see if it goes in our favour. Otherwise, perhaps press them to agree to 8%, under threat that you would file anyway, and so ultimately costing them more.

But, I do only say perhaps, and this possibility is easy for me to offer, as my own Business claim was settled prior to the OFT case announcement.

At the time the common law aspects seemed more solid (they may still be, who knows, and who know what will happen with the next announcement). So, all in, circumstances at the time of my own case allowed me to put on pressure and push for and get the charges plus the 8% interest as an out of court settlement.

Whether the same leverage is available now is the golden question.

It is ultimately up to you what to decide.

Good luck, and whatever you do decide have no regrets.

I'm probably inclined to accept.

My initial approaches have been outlined that in offerring to settle before a deadline they wont have to pay court fees or interest.

As such think it might appear poorly against me if I was to go back on what I earlier outlined. Shame because it's £214 interest.... but i'm more inclined to accept because of the ambigous nature of business claims at present, and think it's a fair result because of this.

I'm probably inclined to accept.

My initial approaches have been outlined that in offerring to settle before a deadline they wont have to pay court fees or interest.

As such think it might appear poorly against me if I was to go back on what I earlier outlined. Shame because it's £214 interest.... but i'm more inclined to accept because of the ambigous nature of business claims at present, and think it's a fair result because of this.

I think that is a wise decision in the present circumstances. I know someone with a Barclays business claim who has been asked to withdraw their claim otherwise Barclays will pursue them for costs for continuing to pursue a worthless claim. The interest would be nice but I don't think its worth taking the risk. Lets just hope yours is not the last business pay out! :)

I've been musing over recent events in regards to Business claims, and had the following thoughts/ theory.

It is curios that despite all the blustering and feather ruffling on behalf of the banks they have often consciously chosen to still deal with and settle a fair number of business claims, despite being so happy to keep all personal account claims held up in the system.

This is curious, because the main aspects of the OFT case dealing with the UTCCR do not apply to Business accounts anyway. So they can't be choosing to settle Business claims in some effort to pre-empt the (now more likely) possibility that the verdict under UTCCR may not ultimately go in the Banks favour?

If so, they would surely be choosing to cut their losses more effectively by doing the same with the vastly greater number of personal account claims.

Also, early signs from the recent ruling seem to indicate that the penalty under common law aspect do not apply to currents T&C's.

So this just leaves the possibility that the Banks are nervous (or perhaps maybe even believe they've little chance of success) regards the courts ruling regards all or some of the other historic terms.

This leads me to a couple of conclusions;

Firstly, that the Banks may not be so sure about winning the 'penalty under common law' argument all the across the board. Some terms (both personal and Business) may still actually be deemed as making such charges penalties under common law.

However, they probably figure, that even if some of the historic terms for personal accounts are actually deemed to make them penalties under common law, that most personal account claimants would not be too bothered to use it anyway (given that they can just more easily just claim using the less messy and less contentious statute of the UTCCR).

Secondly, I also think that if some (or even all) historic Business account terms are ultimately deemed as making the charges penalties under common law, they are worried that they could be left with a backlog of Business claims brought under common law. These could also include some hefty interest claims, especially as such a ruling could also open the door for claiming commercial compounded rates (and Business claimants are just the kind of people who would probably more readily fight for such).

In short Enron, perhaps they are choosing to settle now and pay 8%, rather than face the possibility that the door could still be flung open for some claims brought under common law, and this could then lead to Business claimants then also going for CCI too.

Interesting points PM although it could possibly just be the fact that it is a small claim and the costs of defending would outweigh the cost of paying out.

I agree Zoot, the no costs rule in SCT may be playing a part in influencing their decision regards the economic viability of continuing.

However, I do also sniff a touch of uneasiness in their camp, especially when I've also heard of some recent Business claims that would quite likely have ended up in fast or multi also being settled being settled post OFT?

It will be very interesting to see what happens next all round for everyone ?

Enron, I am pleased for you.

You have got a result, and in these uncertain times that is good, and also perhaps more than the zero you had perhaps at times envisaged becoming a real possibility in light of recent events.

I'm sure you have done ample work to get this, so deserve it, but you've also managed to avoid a lot more stress and hassle than it could have been.

As I said earlier, have no regrets.

Enjoy.:)

PM.

Have been through the process start to finish beforehand with Citi, and was willing to do so once again.

At the end of the day, if the claim wasnt won it would be £100 or so pound out of pocket with no possability of costs going against me, whereas if won the benefit of getting my money back plus interest would be £1120ish.

Getting back what I requested is a fair deal considerring that they have been relatively reasonable. Though obviously not happy that they still protest that their charges are fair.

Thanks, i had a look on that, but the thing is i had got to the stage where bailliffs had actually gone in and its at that point, the banks applied for a stay. Its now id like to write to the judge and say business accounts need not be put on hold, (if im right),

We believe you are right - the OFT case is based on the UNfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, which do not apply to business accounts.

Got Nat West/RBS now playing funny wotsits over the signature on the account.

Hi Enron.

Great news on the settlement offer and looked forward to hearing that you've been paid.

:)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Enron, Any news on what happened with the signature problems you were having ?

Everything sorted, and maybe got your settlement yet ?

PM

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got funds through on 1st July 2008.

Resent the second sheet after getting signature resubmitted for the account at the bank, made the signature and my agreement to their full & final settlement conditional on that payment was made within month of sending the second signed document..... just in case they decided to play games.