• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5799 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

...132.9 for diesel. :(:(:(

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

I don't buy diesel but I have been taking much more notice of the price per Litre of unleaded and the cheapest I can find is £1.12 at my local ASDA.

Annoying that it wasn't so long ago that I could fill my car up with £35 and now it's nearer £60 :mad:

...132.9 for diesel. :(:(:(

which in proper money

is £6.03 a gallon:o

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

OMG Bigmac and here's me complaining about my car - I hope you earn enough to be able to afford £92 to fill :eek:

Having said that, I used to dream of being able to fill my car up with petrol but then someone mentioned the fact that if you fill up to the top, you use more as opposed to if you only half fill - can anyone confirm this?

Is it because there is more weight in your tank if you fill up to the top?

127p per litre of Unleaded Standard and 132p per litre of Shell's "Premium" unleaded.

We've found ourselves walking alot of places these days, and only using the car for grocceries, and when taking the young'n to hospital/doctor appointments... Especially when its a 3.8l engine :(

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

In which case I feel lucky @ £1-24.9

Brassed off - Yes, you will potentially save a little by only filling to the 1/2 or 3/4 mark, so long as you don't have to go out of your way to fill up.

If you're filling to around £30 a time and drive some distance to 'save' the odd penny, you are only actually saving around 23p for each penny you can buy for less then one on your doorstep, or perhaps on route to work etc. I know of people who travel around 10 miles to save 2p a Ltr - and they don't even fill to the brim!!!

Now, if I were Bigmac in his van, I could understand it! :p

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I presume you've all check your best local prices at petrolprices.com etc?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I presume you've all check your best local prices at petrolprices.com etc?

I occassional do, or I call the AA Roadwatch from my mobile and they've a database of all current prices, just give 'em your postcode or if your away from home or dont know the postcode, they'll tell you the prices of the cloest petrol station to where you currently are! how cool is that :D free call too on my tarrif :)

Thanks

- Hobbie

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

Check Web/newspapers for fairly cheap kit to make your own Diesel. This is based on chip pan oil, or buy new veg oil. Very good for environment and much cheaper than being held up by the mobsters (Brown, darling & co) You are legally allowed to make a certain gallonage for your own use. Consider helping to organise drastic action against this unfair tax. Sign petitions for reduction in tax. No10 website. Association of Brittish Drivers site, and a few more. No duty if amount is within legal limits. I think the details were in The Sunday Post last week?

Edited by scaniaman

And if HMRC find out your doing it, you get your bum spanked :o and have to pay fuel duty on it, even if you are making it yourself.

45ltr per calendar month is permitted "duty free" for personal excluding motorway usage.

Thanks

- Hobbie

Hobbie, Are you old enough to remember the 1956? suez crisis? An old boy showed me how to make my own diesel then. HRMC would do more than smack my bum if they found out then. Notice some folks stating how much to fill car/van. Perhaps now, people will realise why the lorry men are at breaking point. A long distance truck fitted with 2x60gallon tanks!!!! We really need to act en masse to force our political masters to reduce the unwarranted amount of tax on diesel. Or would this action Bankcrupt this country?????

scaniaman,

Nope, Can't say I was about in 1956, Dont even think I would of been even an itch in my fathers .... at the time either :D

But I hear you loud and clearly, the problem with this is though, In the UK many people vent the frustration verbally, and thats as far as it goes, then you have some folk who say "If this was France, the lorry drivers and farmers would have the country at a standstill..." Well this isn't France, and in the UK people do like to complain, but never take up any action to follow it through. Many people will also say something like "Yes, I'd be up to join in a protest at refineries, or a go slow on the motorways" yet when it comes to that point something else pops up, and are unable or unwilling to join in.

If everyone began making the own fuel the treasury would be at a loss, and then new laws would be introduced to prevent people from doing so, it's just like the council tax, I don't think anyone agrees to paying it, and everyone vents the anger about CT, but yet still seem to pay it every month/year.

If everyone stopped paying CT, what would happen then? the courts wouldn't be able to cope, so they'll scrap CT, and introduce another tax, or make it come direct from salaries, or something else.

Problem with the Government is, it taxes vehicles to much, but not alot of it goes back into the road infrasture, income made from VEL does not go back into the transport at all, and only about 18% of fuel duty is ploughed back into transport, council tax pays for road repairs locally, and motorways well lets not even start on those.

It's very well people saying YES LETS DO THAT!, but when it comes to it back back down and run off, and the government like this attitude, as it gives them an easy life.

Sum it all up, the vast majority of people are all mouth and no action, I know not everyone is, but the vast majority.

Edited by Hobbie

Thanks

- Hobbie

I don't have a political master.

I agree it has to come off of the fuel, and should have some time ago, however ,if it has to stay on the fuel in some form then the value of tax should be fixed, e.g. pence per litre not percentage.

The big question is who is going to benefit from the increase in revenue that has been generated.

Sharkie

The big question is who is going to benefit from the increase in revenue that has been generated.

Brown & Co. in the pie eating contests and the jags that he and his cabinet uses to travel around in, and the 40second trip from Downing Street to Parliment, even though he said he would NOT be using the prime ministerial Jaguar, but instead he would be using a hydbrid vehicle.

With fuel, you pay VAT + Fuel Duty, but you pay the VAT on the total price including the fuel duty also, so you pay FUEL + DUTY then the VAT on top. effectively paying tax on top of tax.

Edited by Hobbie

Thanks

- Hobbie

I agree

If all the little guys protested it would make little difference, unfortunately we need a large haulier that transports for a major brand to go belly up, and when the general public's favourite tin of beans or celebrity magazine isn't on the shelves anymore perhaps, and it is only perhaps, the old spherical objects will become large enough.

Sharkie

My local station opened up after 6 weeks of closure to allow for new tanks to be fitted, this was Sunday past and the price was £1.29.9 (BP), 3 miles away another BP is £1.28.9, today I drove by my local and its up to £1.31.9 (another 2p) no doubt clawing back all their costs.

Mr Darling & Mr Brown and his belovered HM Treasury are raking it in at present, because the fuel companies are charging more at the pumps due to the "ever increasing cost of a barrel of oil" the treasury earn more duty per litre.

I highly doubt that we'll EVER see the price drop below 100p/pl again, Especially when the next increase come in to effect in October, that is of course unless the Gov't back down, and I personally doubt that will ever happen, again unless a general election is about to called :D

Gone are the days of "relatively" cheap petrol/diesel, what will happen next is, new cars will be dual petrol/LPG/Electric, then the Gov't will increase the taxes on these fuels too... vicious circle? No very well planned out scheme.

Just like diesel, many years ago when diesel vehicles we're rare, diesel was cheap as chips, then suddenly private vehicles began running on diesel, the price went up, and up then passed unleaded and continues up, once more and more vehicles start using these alternative fuels the gov't will increase the taxes.

Thanks

- Hobbie

It would be difficult for them to raise the duty on lpg by too much because so many rural people rely on it for domestic heating

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

Just like agricultural diesel, it has a red dye in it to prevent people using it for any other purpose, as it is taxed at a level no where near that of standard diesel.

They'll have something up the sleaves, placing a "scent" or what ever in it to make it identifiable from heating use to vehicle use.

Thanks

- Hobbie

The main change happened when company owned cars which is the largest market for new vehicles, which had been almost 100% petrol began to change to diesel, especially as the performance of the diesel cars began to improve.

Up to this point fuel economy was not the overriding issue, unless they were given incentives to achieve decent fuel figures, that would be their last thought when choosing a car, trying to persuade one of my reps to choose a diesel was like asking them if they minded me bringing around the local rugby team to sleep with their wife, in fact many company car drivers were willing to change jobs rather than take a diesel.

Once the diesels were not seen as sluggish & stinky more were purchased, then as these cars then filtered into the second hand market (and many purchased from the company as second vehicles), the second stage of increases happened, once people were used to diesels everybody jumps on the band wagon.

There used to be a few pence per gallon difference between petrol and diesel in favour of the diesel, now however its between 12 to 15p a Litre in favour of petrol.

People have just assumed that its cheaper to run a diesel, I would say that most drivers would not even be able to state the mileage that they achieve or whether they are better off now with a diesel or not.

Like Hobbie says where ever there is demand there is greed, if companies pushed for LPG the price would rocket.

The problem is nobody will do anything about it.

Sharkie

There must be something we can do. The price of fuel is talked about within the office where I work on a daily basis. It costs me £70 a week to get to work now and I have a very economical diesel car. It's getting to the point that I'm considering finding a job nearer where I live.

As much as I hate following others, maybe this country should look at the way America taxes it's citizens. Their fuel is way cheaper than ours. I don't know, I'm not an economics expert or a politician. All I know is that in as little as 5 years time I probably won't be able to afford to live in this country anymore.