Stolen car, incorrect V5 info held struggling with insurance

rayokane
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5801 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi there i bought my subaru impreza around 3 weeks ago, only last week it was stolen from my house. im insured with elephant as i have been for the past 3 years.

My problem is i was sold the car under the impression it was a impreza gl import ( says so on the tax disc and v5) my new v5 came through the post on friday and after reading it realise its a 2.0gl on the v5 where i have insured a 1.8gl. I noticed this and went checked to find that there are no 2.0gls as a 1.8 was all that they did. After checking up the car engine numbers i realise i have been sold an impreza RA and therefore although i have insured it as per with v5 with no questions when elephant go to check into it they will realise it is a diffrent model of subaru. I have a receipt showing proof of purchase as £3500 for an impreza GL.

Im just wondering if theres any steps i could take to try and make sure my insurance claim is not voided? i.e. should i let them come back to me or should i contact them with this new information to see if its possible to change my actual policy to the correct model of car?

Will it make any diffrence to the fact ive only just had the car 3 weeks and have not had the chance to act upon the new information i have received?

any advice would be appriciated

thanks

Ray

shouldnt be a problem, as you insured it as per the V5 you had at the time. the only thing that i can think of that might slow the claim down is that the vehicle might have been subject to security conditions, immob & alarm must be fitted etc. This should have advised when you insured the vehicle.

thanks i appriciate the comment, if the claim is sucessful and is put through, when they findout it wasnt actually a GL will the settlement be based on a GL model or the RA?

thanks

Ray

This is quite a common problem with Imported cars.

Usually there wont be the exact car on their system so they will put it down as the equivalent UK spec model.

What they then will probably do is check with their underwriters first and see what the difference in group rating/segment rating is.

Hopefully all they will do is amend the details on your policy and just ask you to pay whatever the difference is in the premium. (I'm assuming there will be one as its a larger engine so probably a higher group rating)

As long you pay the extra premium then i cant see there being a problem to be honest.

DA

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)