disaplinary hearing monday 2nd june at 10am

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5776 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please, we are trying our best for the OP and not scaremongering.
I'm not scaremongering. I worked for 16 years as a retail loss prevention investigator and know exactly what happens in these cases.

Everything i said is true. Re the factual they could write a reference saying person was dismissed due to gross misconduct, theft via employee. have a look at this Can an employer give a bad reference? By Charles Price - 22 Mar 2007

In all the companies i worked for it was standard to refuse resignations during investigations and complete the disciplinary procedures.

Edited by PI Guy

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not scaremongering. I worked for 16 years as a retail loss prevention investigator and know exactly what happens in these cases.

Everything i said is true. Re the factual they could write a reference saying person was dismissed due to gross misconduct, theft via employee. have a look at this Can an employer give a bad reference? By Charles Price - 22 Mar 2007

But the OP has not been dismissed, may not be dismissed and can avoid being dismissed.

We are looking at every possible scenario for the OP at this moment in time.

Again, nothing is factual at the minute. This is important.

But the OP has not been dismissed, may not be dismissed and can avoid being dismissed.

We are looking at every possible scenario for the OP at this moment in time.

Again, nothing is factual at the minute. This is important.

The OP is asking us to tell what we think is going to happen to them in a disciplinary after being investigated for stealing which they admit to. The facts are that they were caught stealing and in my considerable experience this means that they will be dismissed. Their only hope is any mitigating factors and that their employers are a soft touch.

In all the companies i worked for it was standard to refuse resignations during investigations and complete the disciplinary procedures.

A resignation cannot be refused; whatever the circumstances regarding disciplinary action.

In eh event of a resignation, there is no proven case of misconduct as the disciplinary doesn't complete. Thus the theft is not a fact in terms of a reference; all that is fact is that disciplinary actions were ongoing

all that is fact is that disciplinary actions were ongoing
Isn't that enough to be a bad reference? OP resigned during disciplinary process of gross misconduct: theft. ouch!

hello again

i have read your comments and im going to write down every thing i want to say in this meeting tomorrow as i know i will forget most things that are going around my head at this moment in time. will i be able to read straight from a statement type letter?

as for the theft it was a computer game and a pair of trousers from a well known supermarket.

if i feel like in the meeting that they wont keep me on can i resign there and then and do i have to have a written resignation with me? and if i resign can i claim benefits even tho i resigned myself? i know jobs are not as easy to fall into these days and like ive said i have commitments to my children and also need to keep a roof over our heads.

i just hope my manager has had a good holiday and feeling in a good mood tomorow, very unlikely i'm sure but worth a try.

does anyone know how to pm people on here?

To pm use the private messages button just below the toolbar on this page and go to compose message. You need to accurately input the name of the person you are PM'ing. Different names are separated by a semi-colon.

Please note that it is best to avoid advice giving and receiving by PM. This is to protect everyone in case something is misinterpreted or the advice needs checking/ clarification. Advice is better in the open forum so that mistakes can be remedied.

All disciplinary procedures are different, but follow a theme. You can ask for and are entitled to a copy of the ones in use within your company.

Good luck with this.:)

Good luck for tomorrow magic. Don't forget your notes, is the meeting at your place of work or at a different store?. Is your union rep meeting you beforehand, as this may help calm your nerves. All the best

hi bingwings

yes ive got my notes for tomorrow,ive wrote them and rewrote them on many occassions thoughout the day and ive also printed them out so they can keep a copy of them.just hope they allow me to read from what ive put as its 4 pages of a4.

my union rep did say she woud met me down at work half hour before.im already a bag of nerves.

but thanks for all the advice even tho its going in one ear and out the other most of the time as you can imagine.but i keep reading it.

im still not sure whether to let them sack me if it comes to that or just say i resign cos i dont want to put my foot in it with being able to claim things till im on my feet again.

also i took out a loan just in dec and i took payment protection but it dont cover gross misconduct.grrrrrr any ideas on that one.......

thanks

I will tell you what happens.

You will be called into a meeting. There will be at least 2 people there, one will take notes.

The person conducting the meeting will run through the evidence against you. You will be given a chance to say whatever you want to. Your rep will not have a chance to speak unless there is a clear breach of rules in how they are treating you. You can take notes. You will be asked to sign their notes at the end. The person conducting the hearing should not be the same person who conducted the investigation.

At the end they will adjourn to consider their decision. The will then come back in to tell you their decision.

Note the highlighted part, this is NOT fact, your union rep can indeed speak for you, he can not answer a direct question aimed at you.

In fact you should let your rep do most of the talking and only answer questions, this is mainly because your rep will be well used to these meetings and know how to best get your story across.

As for who hears the hearing, there is NO law saying the person conducting the hearing should not be the same person who conducted the investigation. Its good practice but not law.

Only thing if you appeal (and I advice you do if dismissed) then a more senior person should conduct the appeal.

Also as many have stated, the company can not refuse your resignation and the company could not put in a reference that you resigned because of a disciplinary hearing (because it’s not a proven fact that’s why you did resign). Also they would not state theft as the reason unless it’s been proved.

Just to give you some ray of hope (maybe) if the "well know supermarket" is the one which begins with a T then I know through experience that they don’t automatically

dismiss for theft.

Edited by cal37

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales

hi guys

what a crap day ive had.

i was dismissed from work this morning at the meeting, i put all my points across on how sorry i was and deeply regret it etc and then the store manager said to me i have to inform the police as its theft and then two officers walked in. i was shocked to the core.

there was no talk throughout the meeting about the police being called.

i was cautioned in the office,handcuffed and then walked through the store where everyone was looking at me. i was so humiliated.

i was taken to a police station,finger printed,mouth swab and photo taken,put into a cell for about an hour.

duty solicitor came who was very good and spoke to me, i was interviewed under caution.

the decided to give me a caution as i had help my hands up to it and i had stated i would pay it back.

i was then driven back to work where i could pick up my car.

i was also banned from entering any tesco store in the future.

i cant believe how they have dealt with me after all the service i had given to them. yes punish me but why they had to be so sly with the police and the humiliation......

i am now worrying about where my income will come from and that dreaded reference when i need it.

thanks to everyone who has took time out to give advice.

hopefully in the future i wont be asking for advice...just giving it

thanks again (worst day of my life )

I'm truely sorry how it turned out but it was exactly how I thought it would turn out as that is more or less the standard way of dealing with that type of situation.

hi pi guy

i understand they have to punish people but surely they didnt have to bring in the police if i had said i will pay it back.and parade me through the store like they did.

im going to ring head office up tomorrow about it all.im not very happy with way they conducted things.

you would have thought i had murdered someone with the amount of people around me,i mean im not 6ft 6 and come over all agressive. i was calm and scared etc and then to have handcuffs on that was very tight.

a lesson to every one if that small voice in your head says go on try it think twice. its defo not worth it

hi pi guy

i understand they have to punish people but surely they didnt have to bring in the police if i had said i will pay it back.and parade me through the store like they did.

im going to ring head office up tomorrow about it all.im not very happy with way they conducted things.

you would have thought i had murdered someone with the amount of people around me,i mean im not 6ft 6 and come over all aggressive. i was calm and scared etc and then to have handcuffs on that was very tight.

a lesson to every one if that small voice in your head says go on try it think twice. its defo not worth it

I agree that they didn't have to but once the police are involved then they have to operate via their standard operating instructions which is to handcuff. The LP staff know this very well and that's why they called the police. You being led through the store in handcuffs sends a very strong message to all the other staff who might be tempted.

I know because we used to have the same exact policy of calling the police for theft regardless of the value (with relation to staff theft).

It must have been as dreadful time for you, but I feel that when you admitted the theft they made an example of you to others that works for them not to put their hands in the till. I do not think it is a good idea to ring them up tomorrow wait a while and get over it first. high street stores are making loss at present and they have no regard for staff that has been with them for years you are only body to them and that goes for all high street stores, they need to save money now as their shares are not doing too well. Getting rid of staff the most cost effect way of saving money for them.

Hope you feel better tomorrow and remember there is always a silver lining that comes out of something bad. :-|

Aw Magic so sorry to hear about your awful day - what a nightmare - serious criminals get treated with more respect. Are you going to appeal their decision, did you make a case for difficult circumstances?

Well look on the bright side you've got a chance to get a fresh start somewhere new, where hopefully you will be valued and respected....is there anything you've ever though of getting into work wise?

Also to repair your reference situation you might try an employment agency or doing a bit of voluntary work for a while, that way you can put all this behind you relatively quickly.

Best of luck, tesco s*ck!

9/8 - Discovered Consumer Action Group Site:D

RBOS - Personal Account

10/8 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to RBOS

17/5 - Defence lodged by RBS

24/5 - Court date

21/5 - Offer received:rolleyes:

22/5 - Offer rejected

25/5 - New offer received and accepted!!!!!!

MBNA Credit Card

10/8 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to MBNA

Feb 07 Received payment in full...Yeh!!!!:-D

RBOS Business Account

25/5 - May 07 - Statements received

23/7 - Offered received

I am very sorry that you had such a dreadful day. I think looking from the outside that it is very logical that they made a "show" of you to discourage any other staff from thinking that you "got away with it". That does not take away from the humiliation that you felt.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, now is time to lick your wounds and pick yourself up. As regards your loan and your present finances, pop over to Money Saving Expert: Consumer Revenge - Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more to the debt free wannabe forum and you will get loads and loads of advice on budgeting, meal planning and info on how to handle your finances at this point. You wont have to tell them any details unless you want to.

Big hug and hope that you can feel more positive soon

SFx

Magic so sorry hun. I agree with saffron i think your company made an example of you, to deter future events. If your workmates didn't know they certainly do now. Jesus you had it bad. You're probably feeling battered right now, but you can put this behind you.

hi everyone

thanks for the comments, im still bit shook up about it all.

i know what your saying about showing to others who have done bad but i will tell you there are people in that store who have been caught doing stuff and they are still there. im not racist at all but tesco are very scared of the racist card.

i rang head office about what my reference will say when i get another chance with employment and they said its totally down to the store in question. so whats the point in someone trying to find employment if every time its going to be classed as miss conduct. isnt there enough people who dont work in this country.

does anyone know if i rang up the loan company would they be able to put my loan on hold till im sorted out again.i mean i do have payment protection but sadly it dont cover gross misconduct, that was in the small print.....

ive been in touch with my union rep and she trying to contact my store to see if they can come to an agreement regarding my reference.

i hear loads of different things on here about references ie employers cant disclose things and then someone will say they can disclose things.

would be great if someone knew the exact thing way on how references work.

Magic - this might sound harsh but it is not meant to be nasty.

You stole not once but twice - you have lost your job. That is it. What is done is done.

Now is the time to get on with what you are going to do next. You cannot afford to be out of work if you have monies and dependants. As others have suggested why not get some agency work or in a fast food outlet to rebuild your work history. The only person that can fix this is you, forget how others have been treated.

Be strong forgive yourself and rebuild your life

SFx

• Haha 1

i am aware of what i have done, yes i did lose my job and i know that already.

as for getting on with things i intend to but need to know if im wasting my time if my reference is going to let me down.justwaiting for union rep to get back intouch.

regards

Take the advice above, references are usally your last employer and a personal/character reference. By doing agency work, they will become your last employer and therefore your reference.