• Tweets

• Hi welcome to the Forum.  If a PCN is sent out late ie after the 12th day of the alleged offence, the charge cannot then be transferred from the driver to the keeper.T he PCN is deemed to have arrived two days after dispatch so in your case, unless you can prove that Nexus sent the PCN several days after they claim you have very little chance of winning that argument. All is not lost since the majority of PCNs sent out are very poorly worded so that yet again the keeper is not liable to pay the charge, only the driver is now liable. If you post up the PCN, front and back we will be able to confirm whether it is compliant or not. Even if it is ok, there are lots of other reasons why it is not necessary to pay those rogues. 
    • Hi I received a Parking Charge letter to keeper on Monday 15/04/24, the 17th day after the alleged incident. My understanding is that this is outside the window for notifying. The issue date was 08/04/2024 which should have been in good time for it to have arrived within the notice period but in fact it actually arrived at lunchtime on the 15th. Do I have to prove when it arrived  (and if so how can I do that?) or is the onus on them to prove it was delivered in time? All I can find is that delivery is assumed to be on the second working day after issue which would have been Weds 10//04/24 but it was actually delivered 5 days later than that (thank you Royal Mail!). My husband was present when it arrived - is a family member witness considered sufficient proof? 1 Date of the infringement  arr 28/03/24 21:00, dep 29/03/24 01.27 2 Date on the NTK  08/04/2024 (Date of Issue) 3 Date received Monday 15/04/24 4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012?  Yes 5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? Yes 6 Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal] No    Have you had a response?  n/a 7 Who is the parking company? GroupNexus 8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Petrol Station Roadchef Tibshelf South DE55 5T 'operating in accordance with the BPA's Code of Practice'  
    • lookinforinfo - many thanks for your reply. It would be very interesting to get the letter of discontinuance. The court receptionist said that the county court was in Gloucester 'today' so that makes me think that some days it is in Gloucester and some days its in Cheltenham, it was maybe changed by the courts and i was never informed, who knows if DCBL were or not. My costs were a gallon of petrol and £3.40 for parking. I certainly don't want to end up in court again that's for sure but never say never lol. Its utterly disgusting the way these crooks can legally treat motorists but that's the uk for you. I'm originally from Scotland so it's good that they are not enforceable there but they certainly still try to get money out of you. I have to admit i have lost count of the pcn's i have received in the last 2 yr and 4 months since coming to England for work, most of them stop bothering you on their own eventually, it was just this one that they took it all the way. Like i mentioned in my WS the the likes of Aldi and other companies can get them cancelled but Mcdonalds refused to help me despite me being a very good customer.   brassednecked - many thanks   honeybee - many thanks   nicky boy - many thanks    
    • Huh? This is nothing about paying just for what I use - I currently prefer the averaged monthly payment - else i wouldn't be in credit month after month - which I am comfortable with - else I wold simply request a part refund - which I  would have done if they hadn't reduced my monthly dd after the complaint I raised (handled slowly and rather badly) highlighted the errors in their systems (one of which they do seem to have fixed) Are you not aware DD is always potentially variable? ah well, look it up - but my deal is a supposed to average the payments over a year, and i dont expect them to change payments (up or down) without my informed agreement ESPECIALLY when I'm in credit over winter.   You are happy with your smart meter - jolly for you I dont want one, dont have to have one  - so wont   I have a box that tells me my electricity usage - was free donkeys years ago and shows me everything I need to know just like a smart meter but doesnt need a smart meter,  and i can manually set my charges - so as a side effect - would show me if the charges from the supplier were mismatched. Doesn't tell me if the meters actually calibrated correctly - but neither does your smart meter. That all relies on a label and the competence of the testers - and the competence of any remote fiddling with the settings. You seem happy with that - thats fine. I'm not.    
    • Evening all,   So today, I was sent an updated offer that includes the £12.60 I spent on letters, but they have declined to add the interest at £7.40. They have stating 'We acknowledge your request to claim interest to date, however, this would be at the discretion of a trial judge if the claim did proceed to a trial hearing.' I think I am content with this outcome, and pushing this to a trial for a total interest of £15.30 throughout the claim does not make sense to me.   What are people's thoughts? I am sure our courts have better things to concentrate on?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Questions from : Have you received threatening demands for debts older than 6 years?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2768 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Capquest are asking me to send a £1 for a copy of an agreement that they state I owe???

Why dont they just get it? Why should I pay them and have to pay again recorded delivery of letters?

Please advise,

Thank you all

Contrary to their belief you are not required to prove who you are not its for them to prove who you are

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive just received a letter for payment of a morgage i had back 1999/2000

everything went pair shaped and i moved to australia ive since moved back and ive been back for 3 yrs now and i recieved a letter from SHOOSMITHS who has been appointed by halifax bank to recover the outstanding balance

i understand about the 6 yr thing but were do i stand with a morgage ive read its 12 yrs can anyone help me point me in the right direction

im not going to phone or reply to smoosmith until i get a better understanding to were i stand

thankyou in advance

derek

yes 12 years from last payment and contact , do not respond to shoe****hs ,regardless all they want is a simple aknowledgement and it starts all over again do not even be tempted to send a letter of denial...12 years time is up after that , but they can still chase you but cannot force court action just ignore them do not accept their calls

when was your last payment?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok I have recently received a letter from MKRR & Shop direct ltd on the top outlining an notice of assignment and what is owed (it is a smallish amount). It relates to something from my past, a catalogue debt. It does not say what catalogue, only account numbers are listed. I cannot remember the catalogue but this would be around 1997/8/9 at an old address. I was young and stupid I guess and wasnt amazing with debt but I never let things go ott. Only my partner has one and its in credit and always has been, she is religous about paying on time and has amassed a big credit rating on it but hardly ever bothers unless its a white goods item and im surprised they havent badgered her to order more stuff.

Anyway I met my current partner sometime around 1998 and we moved on to a new house in 1999 which would now make it 12 years or so if im right?

Basically im awaiting a credit report so I can see whats going on... I am worried about a possible CCJ but my partner does not remember anything regarding that kinda thing let alone myself? We basically got together and made a new life, had kids etc. So much time has passed its hard to remember things from those old days. I need to know how can I find out if a CCJ was brought against me... I understand that credit reports only go back 6years, is this true?

Also I have heard of a site called trustonline.org.uk and want to know if its ok to use it. Also I understand this could well be statute barred as its so old. I have had no correspondance at all from anyone either from the old address or our present one regarding this matter only this recent mkrr letter.

So can they enforce anything on me or shall I ignore it or send them some letters telling them to go away? Any advice would be appreciated, thx :)

Hmm they must be new but based on very little research, googled MKRR, they seem to be buying Statue barred debts from Shop Direct. I would ignore them. When your Credit file gets to you let us know. Also as much as possibly try to find any paperwork in relation to the debt and when last payment was made. Check bank statements etc.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

NEITHER

YOUR last financial transaction in/out

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

no

what i said, either in or out but it must be a transaction made by YOU.

dx

and they

Im thinking about giving a whirl, it gives me the option of searching people or doing a personal search. Now is it safe to use this just in case something does pop up...

I will be really surprised if anything does but I am worried about opening a can of worms...

get your cra file

if nothing is showing then you are home free

dx

and they

Hmm they must be new but based on very little research, googled MKRR, they seem to be buying Statue barred debts from Shop Direct. I would ignore them. When your Credit file gets to you let us know. Also as much as possibly try to find any paperwork in relation to the debt and when last payment was made. Check bank statements etc.

Looking for stuff that old is nigh on impossible! Alot of my old stuff went into the bin eons ago. I also might have done something silly. The day after the letter came I called shop direct and they found nothing at all for my previous addresses. Then I called the number on that mkrr using a broadband phone as the curiosity got the better of me. they did not make a fuss or talk down to me but I refused to confirm the details they read out. The lady said they would investigate it. At the time I was convinced it was a [problem] or somebody I didnt like from my past trying to screw me over! All the info I have amassed seems to point to that being a bad idea, in no way did I acknowledge this debt or who it was with etc. Have I dropped myself in the poo?

no phone calls cannot reset sb nor ack a debt

get your cra file

that will tell you the score

dx

and they

Hi all

I have spent a lot of time reading posts on this subject and I am slightly confused. I hope you can help me. Apologies if this is old news...or an old query!

I received a payment request from Lowell Financial for T-Mobile, and ignored it. I have now received red letter from Red Debt Collection saying that the debt has now passed to them. This debt is definitely statute barred. I have checked my credit file and over the past year, Lowell have been making unrecorded enquiries on my credit file, which mean nothing but they have been searching me.

I am considering sending them the letter that is on the templates page saying I dispute the liability which is over six years. Furthermore I have added the line stating I do not acknowledge any debt. Should I send something or should I just continue to ignore it? This debt has not appeared on my credit file to my knowledge so I am loath to even send the letter as it looks to be an admission of ownership to an extent: "The last payment of this alleged debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. "

Should I ignore or send the letter and head them off at the pass? Any advice REALLY appreciated.

if its SB'ed then ignore them

dx

and they

Hi all, another newbie here.

OK here is the story. Back in 03, i bought something from a mobile phone operator which allowed me to access the internet via a dongle. The cost of the use of this device wasn't explained to me properly, and this well know phone operator let my phone bill run up to over a thousand pounds before they cut me off. When i contacted them, they said that (even though i had been a customer of theirs for years) they had no references with which to set up a limit on my account and that is why it got so high. I argued with them saying I had been mis-sold the product and was not willing to pay. Being young and naive back then I eventually caved in and paid off part of the debt. They said they would accept a monthly installment plan for the rest of the debt, but only if i sent back a form which they would send to me and they received it within a week.

The form never arrived and i never heard from them again.

I totally forgot about this debt, as i kind of figured they had accepted liability for the remainder of the debt and given up.

This week i received a letter from Mckenzie Hall, saying that they wished to speak to me regarding a "Personnal matter", and that if i was not the person the letter was adressed to, i should contact them to tell them.

The monthly installment letter was supposed to arrive towards the middle of december 03 (if i remember correctly)

I have read a lot of posts on this forum telling horror stories of what this company will do to try to get you to pay a debt. I am registered with Experian and no record of this debt is on my credit report.

What i am worried about is that the letter seems to insinuate that there is a team of investigators looking for me.

Whilst i am fairly sure that this debt is statute barred, and therefore I am in no way required to pay it, based on what i have read about this agency, I am not sure that they will take no for an answer.

This is only the first letter they have sent me, and whilst I am certain that I will in due course receive many more. I dont have caller I.D on my phone either so it is possible that they will catch me on the phone, and i have no idea what i should say to them if they do.

Im really worried about this as i am earning peanuts, on the bare bones of my backside as it is and even though i dont think i am liable for this payment, im concerned that any contact with these people will be enough for them to take as acknowledgement of the debt and chase me for it.

i really don't know what to do, i hope someone can please advise me and give me peace of mind.

Never be intimidated by anyone who sends "final demands" by second class post.

ignore them and put the phone down...simple!!

you are under NO legal obligation to converse with ANY DCA over the phone

nor via letter

fleecers reunited - we call them mucky hall.

dx

and they

Thanks dx.

As a general rule i never answer a number that is either witheld or i dont recognise anyway.

Reading more about this company makes me suspicious of a call i had a couple of days ago actually.

An indian sounding person called me and said they were from a company, i didnt catch the name because he said it very quickly and didnt pause before saying he wanted to advise me on some goverment legislation.

Started quizzing me on if i had any debts or arears, and when i said no to all of his questions he replied "No debts at all??" but the tone of his voice suggested that he knew something. He eventually put the phone down, but i didnt really think about it until i read on these forums about some of the underhanded tactics that these people use.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Ill see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a missed call from them today on my home telephone. Seems they are gradually getting my details from somewhere. seems like an awful lot of effort considering they arent going to get paid. I am almost tempted to just send the Statute barred letter to them just to get them to quit before it becomes an irritation. Which does remind me of something. I have an experian account, someone once told me that different credit scoring agencies had different files on each person, and so whilst my experian credit report might be clear, there might be things on a different report. Is this true or is my experian credit report, THE only report?

it will show an any of them

ignore

dx

and they

• 2 weeks later...

Please please please somebody help me.

I received a searcher letter from Westcott last week asking if I was me and as I am trying to sort myself out financially I called them and said yes it was and what is it in relation to. They told me it was a debt I had with HSBC in 2000. I do vaguely remember this, but I thought I had paid it off (one of the few!!) They said you must remember it because you paid £42 in 2007!! I said I don't remember that which in all fairness I truly dont remember making a one off payment for £42 - that of course is not to say that I didn't, unfortunately with all the debts I had things are a little fuzzy as to who I was paying, but I am pretty sure that I didn't.

I have now received today a letter from them recalling the debt that I must pay immediately.

How do I go about resolving this. The other problem is that I am no longer with account that I had back in 2007 so I can't even check to see if I did make that payment without asking for all the previous statements from that account.

Please any help I would really gratefully apreciate as I am a little stuck as to what I should do.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2768 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks