• Tweets

• I agree with my site team colleague above. We need to know all the facts including which company you are dealing with and an explanation of the problem. It really is too difficult to start giving speculative advice on some speculative problem that you have laid out as a generalised scenario
    • Moorcroft are sending a rep round to my house this week. What is the best way to handle this? Ignore and not answer the door or engage with them? I haven't acknowledged anything since I started on this journey and defaulted on my cards in December 2022
    • Very sorry but with the best will in the world, I don't think we can at all understand what the situation is here. Please can you try rewriting this on a word processor and maybe send a copy of what you have written to a friend and working out together so that the story is complete but as brief as possible. Maybe a list of dates as well. If you can do that and then repost your story we can have a look
    • Hi, I am a local authority tenant and was in a 3 bed house. At the end of last year, my last child moved out and so did my spouse as we are now going through a divorce which meant that I was in the house alone and decided that I needed to downsize not only for myself but to offer the property to a family that needed it. I registered on the local authority housing bidding site as i was asked to do and I was accepted and given a priority banding as I was downsizing and they were desperate for my house. I have been extremely lucky and after about 6 weeks was accepted for a new build from a housing association via the housing gateway. I viewed the property 2 weeks ago and had to sign the tenancy last week when they were doing bulk signups for the houses and that is the day I moved. In between viewing and sign up, I contacted my current local authority landlord and asked how I give notice as I had been accepted for a property I had bid on and was moving.  The lady told me how to do it online and then said that I needed to give a full weeks notice which wasnt a problem as I had enough time.  (I was also told a weeks notice was what i would need to give by another staff member about a month ago when I phoned up for another housing related question.  I dont have any of this in writing.) I have now moved, handed back the keys and I am now being told that I need to give 4 weeks notice which I cannot afford. I hav e spoken to the council again explaining that I was told a week and that to be honest, if I knew they were going to charge me 4 weeks I would not have been able to move and would have stayed in the other house.  I thought I was doing the right thing. They said that calls are recorded and they asked me when I called in and was told a week and they would listen to the telephone conversation and if it was correct what I was told, they would see what they could do to reduce the notice period. They have now emailed me back and said that they have listened to the conversation and the lady said 4 weeks notice and I am liable for 4 weeks rent.  Now I may well of misheard her when I thought she said a full weeks notice she may have said 4 weeks notice but I am sure she said a full weeks notice and i was told a week by another member of staff a few weeks ago. I have emailed her back and said that I may of misheard but I would like to listen to the phone recording myself.  As yet they havent responded. I think its unreasonable for them to make me give 4 weeks when I had to sign the new tenancy with little notice or loose the property.  And it was all done through their gateway, and they will have a tenant in there pretty much straight away getting rent from them. I am on a very low income, I am on my own, I have serious medical issues and I am really getting myself stressed out over this. Any advice would be so appreciated.  Can I insist they let me listed to the recording? RH  
    • Susan Crichton is at the Inquiry today. She seems to have trouble remembering a lot of things but seems to find it easier if it's something that shows her in a good light.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cloned bmw car please help me !!!

rde20468
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5751 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Bought a bmw from a bmw dealer and 2 weeks later when i got the reg v5 doc i found out that the car has been cloned !:(:(:( the dealer said the orly previous owner was BMW UK. The reg doc showed 4 previous owners!

But,the dates of when the last person who thinks she owns the car was changed one week before i puchased the car from dealer.:(

Cannot take car back as dealer says there is nothing wrong with the car and I have to go police, DVLA etc and sort out myself as they cant because of data protection - as car is now in my name. Have called DVLA who says send letter? Should i go to police - been told there is a chance my new car may be impounded until this is sorted out?? What do you think I should do???

You should certainly report it, but at the same time, drop the BMW dealer a letter and let him know that the car was misdescribed and that it is ultimately his responsibility and that the soga applies.

See what his response is to that.

Either take the letter to the dealer personally or if by post, use recorded delivery.

Are there any adverts saying 'one owner' or any other paperwork with words to that effect, or was it verbal by the salesman?

I can see the dealer's point here. If somebody really has cloned your vehicle using a rogue car then the dealer is right, there is nothing wrong with the car he sold you. It is as described. It is not his fault that somebody is running around in a different car using your reg number and breaking the law which he has no control over. This is a matter for the police.

They should have done presales checks before it went on the forecourt, it was described and sold as 'one owner' and turns out not to be so they will have to take responsibility for that.

They should have done presales checks before it went on the forecourt, it was described and sold as 'one owner' and turns out not to be so they will have to take responsibility for that.

But the car they have sold is one owner. Being a BMW Agent they will have a full record of the car since it was new.

Consider this. If today I cloned the vehicle that you own is it your fault and are you responsible?

Thanks for your posts. My main concern is when I sell the car. I HPI'd it after this all came to light and it threw up loads of errors - ie. number of owners and mileage and a substantial decrease in value. I didnt do the HPI check before buying it as it is the car dealers policy to do this which obviously they didnt before I bought it !

I didnt do the HPI check before buying it as it is the car dealers policy to do this which obviously they didnt before I bought it !

Well there you go then, if they had stuck to their advertised policy, then you wouldn't have had this trouble, unless of course they did do one and never let on.

If an HPI check is part of what they offer, then they either conned you or never did one, how will they explain that?

You cannot be sure that the dealer didn't hpi the car. It is possible he bought the vehicle showing one owner in the book, hpi'd it and it was all clear. Whilst he had it in stock a scally has applied for a reg doc for the car to clone an identical one. Even if DVLA wrote to the former keeper stating that somebody had applied for a new V5 the former keeper would have assumed it was due to the sale to the dealer and done nothing. When eventually the dealer sold the car (which could have been months later) to the OP and sent the V5 off to Swansea he obtained when purchasing the car, still showing one keeper, DVLA would have assumed this change of keeper was to be added to the list of keepers that had accrued on the rogue V5, they would not have been aware it was sitting in the dealer's premises. As I said before, if this is a proper BMW agent they will have a complete record of from when the car was new. The car the OP has bought is a "one former keeper". I cannot see how the dealer can be liable for the criminal actions of a third party.

Having worked for BMW Franchised dealers for many years I would advise you to call BMW Customer Care UK and get them involved. They will assist in sorting out this mess for you.

Depending on what dealer it is they may or may not be owned by BMW UK.

Either way, they will assist as they hate bad publicity concerning the dealer network.

As part of the sales hand over pack you 'should' have received or it what dealers call 'the deal bag' of 'deal file' will be a copy of the HPI cert - Ask to see it, they are date and time stamped and will show if one was carried out prior to the sale or not.

Edited by BVG
text

hi,i have contacted bmw uk and they have got dealer to send out hire car 318d i have a 330i sport ! anyway only on hire.

cannot find hpi check by dealer,will chase up after b hol.

thanks for your input.

hi,i have contacted bmw uk and they have got dealer to send out hire car 318d i have a 330i sport ! anyway only on hire.

cannot find hpi check by dealer,will chase up after b hol.

thanks for your input.

Along with reporting the car to the Police who should have a vehicle examiner examine the vehicle to confirm its true identity. If it is what BMW say it is then you are able to keep the car and the attention is turned to the other car

Demand your money back or take them to court, vehicle misrepresented as one owner and fraudulent V5, SAG act covers this.

check with trading standasds and go to cab for advice. dont swallow it fight!

Demand your money back or take them to court, vehicle misrepresented as one owner and fraudulent V5, SAG act covers this.

check with trading standasds and go to cab for advice. dont swallow it fight!

Errm. I think you may have misunderstood the gist of this thread.

Edited by gwc1000
the older I get my spelling is getting worse!

Along with reporting the car to the Police who should have a vehicle examiner examine the vehicle to confirm its true identity. If it is what BMW say it is then you are able to keep the car and the attention is turned to the other car

contacted ploice and they have noted it down,might come back to me if itel team think something is wrong?!

sending letter to DVLA to see what happens next,watch this space.

in the short term ask the BMW dealer to plug the car into the equipment in their workshop to get the chassis number up and compare against that displayed on the car - that will also be a definitive answer

Hi all,

Ok,the latest is that i have had a call from the police and they are looking in to it.?:)

They called BMW dealers :) and may get my car marked? whatever that means?

See what happens next?...

if the car is a newer vehicle, the car key itself will actually hold your vehicle details, mileage and service history. just plug it into the reader at bmw and there you go

ok will do thanks alot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi,

Bought a bmw from a bmw dealer and 2 weeks later when i got the reg v5 doc i found out that the car has been cloned !:(:(:( the dealer said the orly previous owner was BMW UK. The reg doc showed 4 previous owners!

But,the dates of when the last person who thinks she owns the car was changed one week before i puchased the car from dealer.:(

Cannot take car back as dealer says there is nothing wrong with the car and I have to go police, DVLA etc and sort out myself as they cant because of data protection - as car is now in my name. Have called DVLA who says send letter? Should i go to police - been told there is a chance my new car may be impounded until this is sorted out?? What do you think I should do???

I think I've just had the same thing done to my car!!! Okay, a bit of a long story...

I bought a car at a well know auction house! It had a "warranted" 65k on the clock! and came from a big finance house. I paid for the car the next day with a bankers draft(as if you pay with a credit cars you incure a 2% charge)

The day before I picked up the car I phoned the main dealer (where the car originated from and was serviced at) to find out some details of the car! to my suprise a "brand new engine" had been fitted some 180 miles ago at a cost of £12755.00!!! "WOW I thought" I've dropped on!

So with that I went to pick up the car with a massive smile on my face, but hang on! there is a sting in this tale.

When I got the MOT it stated that the car had covered 81k! but the car said 65k!(and I knew that the car had a new engine fitted by the main dealer because I had a print out of all the work that had been done and the mileage and dates) I asked to see the general manager who checked the cars VIN and number plates.

The VIN number on the car was the same as on the MOT, and the reg was also! So I took the car and thought that the MOT station that had done the test must have mixed up two cars and written the wrong mileage down.

I decided to contact VOSA(Vehicle & Operator Service Agency) the goverment agency that police the MOT stations by email to ask if they could look into the mileage for me, as I had purchased the car 11 days ago and found it hard to believe that the car had covered 16k in such a short time? And the car's MMI was telling me that only 100 miles had been covered and didn't need a service for 184 days.

The man from VOSA went away to try and find out the history of the car... In the mean time I was on the phone to the main dealer to find out what they knew about the car! The car originated from them and had all the warranty/service work done there so they knew the car very well! It turns out that the car was sitting at the dealership from Jan to June (08 waiting for a new engine to be shipped from Germany! But my MOT said it went for a test in March 2008

Thats just not possible as it didn't have an engine in it! So the emission test must have been the cleanest in the world!

Okay! so now i'm getting really worried:confused: I tried to contact VOSA again to find out what they've found out, but I couldn't speak to the manager who was dealing with it!

Today I get a phone call from the manager at VOSA saying this is not quite as straight forwards as a "wrong" mileage on an MOT. He's told me that there is another car(same make, model, color) out on the roads with the identical number plate/ VIN number as mine!!!!!!! And the MOT I have isn't for my car but the other car! even though the VIN is the same.

So to cut this very long story short! VOSA are sending someone up North to have a look at his car, and someone to have a look at mine! One could be a "Clone" or their are two cars out there with the same VIN. If they can't get to the bottom of it the Police will have to be informed and a possibility that the cars could be seized!!!!

Has anyone ever been through anything like this and can offer advice to what I can do please?

Edited by Audi A6