Crusher's Bin Your Bank Thread!.. Credit Unions

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4286 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

How would it work if a User (...who also had an account with any CAG CU) was placed on Moderation/Banned/Voluntarily left CAG??...:confused:

...Would that sort of thing 'disqualify' them from continuing to have an account with any CAG CU??...:confused:

...:)

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children.

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

(Jules Winnfield)

How would it work if a User (...who also had an account with any CAG CU) was placed on Moderation/Banned/Voluntarily left CAG??...:confused:

...Would that sort of thing 'disqualify' them from continuing to have an account with any CAG CU??...:confused:

...:)

Normally once you have qualified to be a member you may continue to qualify as a member should you then cease to qualify to be a member - if that makes any sense?

However the Committee could disqualify a member and return there funds to them as required.

Or the Committee could limit sources available to that member, ie loans, DD, SO etc

Edited by jannercobbler
more info

If my posts have helped you please use the scales at the top of my posts :)

Any opinions from Jannercobbler are strictly my own and I have no affiliation with any group or services.

The two most beautiful words in the English Language are "Cheque Enclosed" - Dorothy Parker

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/399-abbey-letter-sent.html

Me v Abbey - £3000 + Int + Costs + Credit File Cleaned.

LBA Sent 12/3/06

Court Claim started - 31/5/2006

Allocation Questionnaire Filed - 24/7/06

Court Date allocated 31/10/2006

Me v Citi-Cards - CCA Sent 27/07/06

Me v Citi-Cards - Data Protection Act Sent 03/08/06

Me v Capital One - Data Protection Act Sent 03/08/06

Me v Hillesden Securities - CCA Sent 03/08/06

Me v Hillesden Securities - DPA Sent 03/08/06

I'm also very conscious that a lot if not the majority of CAG users are people who have fallen on hard times, thats why the banks have us in their clutches.

An operation like this would be dealing with peoples life savings (or whats left of them) and their ability to save for their futures it would need to have a zero mistake tolerance from day one.

I'm also very conscious that a lot if not the majority of CAG users are people who have fallen on hard times, thats why the banks have us in their clutches.

An operation like this would be dealing with peoples life savings (or whats left of them) and their ability to save for their futures it would need to have a zero mistake tolerance from day one.

Maybe a poll is needed to see how many CAG users are also members of a CU?

I'm also aware that any CAG CU would be dealing with peoples life savings, and or the only income that they have.

Therefore for something like a CAG CU to happen we would also have to be able to offer things like a Debit Card (access to their money easily) DD and SO's.

All officers of the CU HAVE to be FSA approved, with no exception.

I'm willing to help if needed as i'm sure peterbard may be we would have both been FSA Checked, and could offer some advice.

Location of registered offices, etc would need to be thought about.

Edited by jannercobbler

Any opinions from Jannercobbler are strictly my own and I have no affiliation with any group or services.

The two most beautiful words in the English Language are "Cheque Enclosed" - Dorothy Parker

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/399-abbey-letter-sent.html

LBA Sent 12/3/06

Do CU's use credit reference agencies to check potential members?

Yes some CU's can use CRA's to check members loan worthiness, However they also use other factors such as length of time with the CU, amount of savings etc.

There are also other ways for members to obtain loans for emergancy reasons etc.

As a current active Director of a CU, I can only give general advice due to confidentiality reasons.

LBA Sent 12/3/06

The other problem I see with a nationwide CAG CU is handling daily/weekly living expenses. A lot of us try not to use banks, Dave is well known for not having a bank account at all so how would "cash transactions" be handled.

ATM machines are owned by the banks so I can see quite large charges being levied against members of a group that has taken away some of their customers and paying in cash would also be a problem unless a deal with the post office or a company like pay point could be made.

Edited by Castlebest

Why all this talk about a CAG CU. To set up a CU takes far too long

My reason for raising the subject again was to promote those already in existence many of whom offer the same facilities as the banks & that includes remote deposits & withdrawals

• Haha 1

Because other OP's have asked the question.

I think the best option is to use existing or even set up local CU's. Unless CAG got in expert help which would need paying I think a CAG CU would be doomed to failure.

I personally agree with you JonCris, most of the country seems to be covered by local CU's already so why reinvent the wheel especially as I can see the controlling bodies being particularly against an organisation that has been a bit of a thorn in the side for the last 2 years setting one up.

I can't see a CAG CU starting up anytime soon. It would take far too much time, and too much effort - time and effort.

As stated above, there's little point to reinventing the wheel.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

We could list them all within a Sticky? on here.

LBA Sent 12/3/06

I think the live thread in the General forum will promote discussion and interest, maybe even ask Crusher if he wants to move this one there too or merge it with the one thats already there, all of the information links are in this thread.

And before people say it should be in the "other institutions" forum I said General because of the passing traffic there :rolleyes:.

I think the live thread in the General forum will promote discussion and interest, maybe even ask Crusher if he wants to move this one there too or merge it with the one thats already there, all of the information links are in this thread.

And before people say it should be in the "other institutions" forum I said General because of the passing traffic there :rolleyes:.

Dorset has got quite a few credit unions just had a look on site GILLINGHAM SHERBOURNE DORCHESTER WEYMOUTH PORTLAND AND BRIDPORT that is a big area covered have a look on your local area,

I started the thread in the BG because I thought it might catch some attention :-D

I would be more than happy to move it if folks thinks it would be better situated elsewhere...

HSBC WON three times!!!!! Read about my continuing battle (claim FOUR!) Link HERE

Capital One WON Link

HERE

GE capital (5 accounts) WON link HERE

Lloyds bank account WON second claim starting! link HERE

Budget insurance cough up WON link HERE

Principles WON link HERE

A&L (Mrs Crusher's account) claim link HERE

Barclays claim link HERE

Any advice given is on an informal basis only and without prejudice or liability. In in any doubt, consult a qualified lawyer.

IF YOU HAVE GOT YOUR MONEY BACK, PUT SOME BACK INTO THE SITE TO HELP KEEP IT OPEN!

Think it might be an idea Crush mate, JonCris's original comments have been buried in the test case thread and the other CU thread isnt a very inviting read and has no links for people to check CU's out :)

Maybe clear my and Barra's early comments :D up to you two :)

pete

• 1 year later...

I thought I would bring this thread up again, after a bit of a tidy, no offence to anyone :D

HSBC WON three times!!!!! Read about my continuing battle (claim FOUR!) Link HERE

Capital One WON Link

HERE

GE capital (5 accounts) WON link HERE

Lloyds bank account WON second claim starting! link HERE

Budget insurance cough up WON link HERE

Principles WON link HERE

A&L (Mrs Crusher's account) claim link HERE

Barclays claim link HERE

Any advice given is on an informal basis only and without prejudice or liability. In in any doubt, consult a qualified lawyer.

IF YOU HAVE GOT YOUR MONEY BACK, PUT SOME BACK INTO THE SITE TO HELP KEEP IT OPEN!

Well done for resurrecting this thread:D I've been a member of my local CU for six months now, and it works really well. I can't recommend them highly enough

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

I've just joined my local CU to use as a savings vehicle where I used to use my banks savings account.

If I want credit again in the future I will use their facilities for that too.

I'm recommending them to everybody I talk to.

“Bankruptcy is a legal proceeding in which you put your money in your pants pocket and give your coat to your creditors” - Joey Adams :D

Hi every body i ditched HSBC and started saving with N S I Easy access Savings but did not realise that you have to keep £100 pound in there so going to close it and go to Credit Union as we got one opened in our town.