Ebay / Paypal seller tips - things to look out for?!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5758 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm about to sell something via Ebay of reasonable value (approx £300). I really do NOT want to be stung. The transaction is likely to be via Paypal (yeah, i know!).

Please can you enlighten me on what to look out for, I need the money and don't want someone to try and blag me.

I'll be sending the item out via special delivery with insurance.

Thanks.

Seq.

Since Ebay - together with Paypal - removed its operations from UK jurisdiction and are no longer subject to FSA regulation, I neither bought nor sold anything on there.

Even when good practice is followed, when you read their terms and conditions (of which there are pages), there is very little in the way of redress should things go wrong either as a buyer or seller.

I just wish there were other sites in competition as it annoys me that Ebay is so big and powerful. Trouble is, I know of no others to match it.

On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Read anything I write with the above in mind.

If you really must use eBay and accept Paypal, then as an absolute minimum:

• Check out the buyer's reputation, and if you don't like the look of it cancel the bid.
  • Block foreign bidders
  • Only accept one single payment from one single Paypal account for the whole transaction
  • Only post out to a confirmed/verified Paypal address

May I ask what you are selling? There may be alternatives to eBay where you can achieve the same sale price.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Only accept payment by cheque.

If you sell on eBay they now force you to offer Paypal as a payment option.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Your paypal account also needs to be verified in order to qualify for full seller protection

Key rules of Seller Protection

Post to a confirmed address, as displayed in ‘Transaction Details’. This ensures that the item goes to the buyer at an address we have details of.

You must be Verified and have a Premier or Business account

Was just scanning through paypal T&Cs and found this rather amusing/worrying little gem :o

A Chargeback is covered by the Seller Protection Programme if it was due to non-receipt of merchandise, or an unauthorised payment. A Reversal is covered if it was due to an unauthorised payment. The Seller Protection Programme does not cover claims under Buyer Protection Programmes for Significantly Not as Described or for non receipt of merchandise, or generally for sales of intangible goods, services, or licenses for digital content. PayPal Claims are not covered by the Seller Protection Programme. For more information on winning a PayPal claim see the Buyer Protection Programmes section of the Agreement.

Only accept payment by cheque.

Even once a cheque has cleared into your account it can still be clawed back upto a month later

skb

Victory over Lloyds £890

Click!

Victory over Vodafone: default removal

click!

Victory over Lloyds PPI claim £2606 click!

Barclaycard lazygoing - £580 + £398 contractual int at 17.7 % click! (Received partial payment £110 21/11/06)

The GF's battle against RBS click! stayed awaiting the end of the world

A Chargeback is covered by the Seller Protection Programme if it was due to non-receipt of merchandise, or an unauthorised payment.
indeed.

If someone contacts ebay saying the item hasn't been delivered, and a dispute is opened with paypal then that amount is held back, and only when the dispute is closed then it is available to the seller.

I have been very active on ebay over the years... but now I sell very little if anything. Its just so risky. Ebay/paypal are 1) out to protect themselves/profits then 2) sort of interested in keeping buyers happy in order to keep the profits coming in and 3) not at all interested in sellers, they can go to hell (unless of course they sell 100 items a day)

That said, sometimes it is the best place to sell as there is little if any alternative.

So, as the cad says.. deal with UK buyers only if at all possible.

Always use special delivery for a paypal purchase for this amount, if it all goes pear shaped you will get compensation. In any case paypal insist on special delivery in the small print.

And if you smell a rat, there probably is one about somewhere.

If you sell on eBay they now force you to offer Paypal as a payment option.

Have to disagree. We have run a separate business selling many items on ebay every week for the last five years. We never offer paypal as an option. The commission is too high. It's either cash on collection or a cleared cheque before being sent

Paypal payment is only required in certain categories at the moment but will be a requirement on all items very soon.

Never had aproblem myself before with paypal as a buyer or seller. Just started on ebid last couple of weeks.

Set you preferences to buyers with certain amount of feedback abd a cc on file and also uk only.

Good luck xx

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Have to disagree. We have run a separate business selling many items on ebay every week for the last five years. We never offer paypal as an option. The commission is too high. It's either cash on collection or a cleared cheque before being sent

Apologies if what I said was incorrect - I'm not actively using it at the moment but I'm sure I read somewhere that Paypal was now mandatory for all items except motors and property?

I always insist on electronic transfer from the buyers bank account to my own, that does away with the nonsense of fake bankers drafts, cheques that are clawed back months after presentation because they are forged/stolen, and does away with paypal.

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.

As you know ebay and paypal are one and the same.

As well as the listing fees you get charged by paypal and then get stung for withdrawing your own money.

Not only that but it has so far taken over 9 days for funds to clear into my bank on items sold. Yet strangely they clear instantly when I put funds back into paypal. Seems like they are holding onto peoples money.

Listen to what the others have said, it's all good advive.

Do you think I can safely send the item that I've sold whilst I'm awaiting the paypal money to clear into my bank account?

I would send Special Delivery with Insurance....

I just wish there were other sites in competition as it annoys me that Ebay is so big and powerful. Trouble is, I know of no others to match it.

Why don't you try this site CQout Online Auctions UK | Online Auction Site for CD's, Books, Lingerie, Film Posters, Fashion and Jewellery Unfortunatly there's not too many people on it at the moment for it to be serious cometition for ebay.

HALIFAX: 13/01/07 Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter (marked as rec'd 16/01)

Paid in full in March 07

Watch out for those

"Can you post this item to my wife, it is a present, she is currently working in Nigeria, I'll pay the extra postage for you..."

And also the favourite currently doing its rounds on eBay...

Receive a "Ask the Seller" a question, when you respond to the "buyer" ALWAYS ensure you hide your e-mail address or respond via the website, other wise you start getting the spoofed e-mails saying that the auction is closed early with the "BUY IT NOW" feature, then receive a spoofed PayPal receipt with an address to post to.

Back in the days before PayPal and eBay joined forces, it was much better, but now with it under one roof (as such) anything goes wrong, PayPal and eBay blame the seller for any problems, personally I refuse to buy/sell on eBay any more now, and only use PayPal for "subscriptions" to companies I know.

Payment received by cheque still isn't secure, as you can pay the cheque in to your account, and the cheque can clear, then upto 6 weeks later the money can still be recalled when the person reports the cheque or book stolen.

Best bet is Postal Order payment only, or Cash sent via Special Delivery with insurance.

Good Luck!

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

Well the situation is that the item has sold, no problems there.

They have pad via Paypal, no problems there.

I've requested a bank transfer of the funds and am waiting to send the item.

When should I send it?

Once funds are CLEARED in your account at the bank. As a direct bank transfer can't be recalled back by the originator (sender). And thus if PayPal get a "charge back" at least you'll have the monies still, and then PayPal will have to take it up with you and most likely send the DCA's on to you :D but don't worry about that, i'm sure you know how to handle those. ;)

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately items cannot even be listed for sale now without the paypal payment option.

That's caused you haven't sold anything since the 5th of May!

Try listing now without paypal!

Hope you have sent the item now Seq...:)

Idax

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm about to sell something via Ebay of reasonable value (approx £300). I really do NOT want to be stung. The transaction is likely to be via Paypal (yeah, i know!).

Please can you enlighten me on what to look out for, I need the money and don't want someone to try and blag me.

I'll be sending the item out via special delivery with insurance.

Thanks.

Seq.

Hi Seq,

Not sure if this is still relevant to you now, but when ever I am selling anything which is electronic / high value, ESP mobile phones, I never take international bids (you can select this when you are setting up your listing), then basically keep an eye on who is bidding - you may want to cancel any bids from those who are new members (what happens is people register rip someone off then the account is closed) or has poor feedback. Then cover you back when it comes to payment and postage ie make sure you have the money before you post, get proof of posting / tracking etc.

Hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...

Old thread, I know - but might be of use to someone else!

Another thing to watch out for is not just the buyer's feedback score, but what it was for.

A common [EDIT] ploy is to buy lots of things for less than £1.00 in order to build up a respectable feedback score and then go for the big [problem], hoping that the victim won't bother looking too closely.

What usually works for me on Ebay is not only to look at the feedback the seller has, but also the feedback they have left for others.

This is especially useful where a negative feedback has been given by a buyer to the seller. I avoid sellers who 'tit for tat'. If a seller is not prepared to be reasonable, then they are too much hassle to buy from. I guess the reversal is true too.

Hi, i love ebay! I would say to you a few things.. check the feedback of the buyer always and do check they have had their account verified! This ensures the person is whom they say they are! I always tend to use paypal as your money is protected- I recently bought some boots which were not as described-I asked politely for a refund and sent them back-I never received the money!the seller closed the account!- I filed with ebay and they refunded me in full as I was protected by paypal! If you are not sure, request payment by cheque and ensure you put in the listing that the item will not be sent until the funds have cleared in your account! simple!! I would say though, ensure your listing is very honest & truthful about any flaws,marks, etc and do state all your terms and conditions such as- not return/item posted upon money clearing/not responsible for postal losses but will send out receipts for them to claim themselves/any problems please contact before negative feedback etc...good luck!!!