No Costs Rule - Question of definition

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5806 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK,

You have a case and it is over £5000, but the Judge allocates it to small claims and states: "I refer you to Section 27 of the CPR'S"

Does this mean that no costs rule is implied, or by virtue of being more than £5000 this overides that part of the CPR?

Reason I ask is I have also read in the "Small Claims Proceedure: A Practical Guide" on page 110, it states:

The "no costs" rule does not apply to case which would not usually qualify for the Small Claims track but where the parties have elected for the small claims track (rule 26.7(3)) (see page 78). However, the trial costs which can be recovered will be no more than the costs which could be recovered on the fast track...

Now on my AQ I wrote small claim on their AQ they wrote fast track so we have not agreed technically....Am I right in thinking this?

Penfold

That's an interesting question, Penfold.

I'm bumping in the hope someone can answer ;)

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

I have asked all the team and Steven has given me the following answer which is what I thought and what you thought.:(:)

CPR 27.14 (5) says that, in a case where the value of the claim exceeds the SCT 'limit' (ie £5000) but it is allocated to the STC anyway (under CPR 26.7(3)) then the SCT costs rules apply.

The only exception is if the parties have agreed that the FT cost provisions should apply. Clearly in this aces, that is not the case, so the SCT rules apply.

• Haha 1