Statutory Demand - Connaught Collections

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4882 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Put full details on my thread, but thought I would just update you.

The other side did not turn up, and the SD was set aside (was only in the court for 5 minutes).

You are in very good hands with the people on this site, I would not have got through it without them.

Good luck, I will be following your thread to see how you are getting on.

Does that mean they can't pursue the debt any more?

I believe if a debt is statute barred, it cannot be collected. Hopefully, someone will be along soon to confirm this. :D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I believe if a debt is statute barred, it cannot be collected. Hopefully, someone will be along soon to confirm this. :D

sorry, I did not realise this one might be statute-barred - if it was not though, and was set aside, or like in my case, they have decided to withdraw their Stat Demand, what other options are open to them... can they bring a normal county court claim for example, or do they have to cease all collection attempts?? I really need someone to confirm this either way... cheers

sorry, I did not realise this one might be statute-barred - if it was not though, and was set aside, or like in my case, they have decided to withdraw their Stat Demand, what other options are open to them... can they bring a normal county court claim for example, or do they have to cease all collection attempts?? I really need someone to confirm this either way... cheers

Undercover, it will probably be best if you were to start your own thread and people can answer your particular questions there. It gets a bit muddled if you are using someone elses thread.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 2 weeks later...

Just a brief update.

Received a letter from Connaught this morning stating that they have written to the court to advise that they are willing to withdraw the SD on the grounds that it's a disputed matter (no mention of the fact that it's statute barred!). They also stated it's not their intention to attend the hearing. They have closed the file and returned it to 1st Credit, who they say are the assignees of the debt (no notification received of such by me). They claim that they and 1st Credit were not aware the debt was in dispute.

Does anyone know if the court will cancel my hearing on the basis that Connaught won't be attending and are willing to withdraw the SD?

I want to attend court and have it set aside, since the process has been started, plus I want to claim my costs. Plus, I don't trust this company, or 1st Credit who will now no doubt simply try to sell the debt on elsewhere. I want confirmation that the debt is statute barred - do I ask 1st Credit to provide me with any proof at this stage, or wait until after the hearing (in a couple of weeks)?

GO FOR IT...attend the hearing and claim your costs....they say they are 'willing'....they haven't actually said 'we have withdrawn'.....for all the stress and worry they have caused you I would go...just imagine if you hadn't have fought this ? precursor to a forced bankruptcy ?...and you know what Elevatorfour.....in all this time I bet all you have had is a letter saying 'YOU OWE US THIS !!!'....

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.

DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation

IF WE HAVE BEEN HELPFUL -PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE A DONATION TO HELP US TO CONTINUE HELPING YOU

I AM HAPPY TO RECEIVE PM's AND I WILL RESPOND IF I FEEL I CAN ASSIST BUT WHEN YOU DO CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD ON WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COMMENT - THANK YOU

IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.

Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html

Once this is over....complain, complain, complain...TS, OFT...

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.

DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation

IF WE HAVE BEEN HELPFUL -PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE A DONATION TO HELP US TO CONTINUE HELPING YOU

I AM HAPPY TO RECEIVE PM's AND I WILL RESPOND IF I FEEL I CAN ASSIST BUT WHEN YOU DO CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD ON WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COMMENT - THANK YOU

IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.

Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html

If they don't pay you can apply to the court to enforce the costs order ;)

"To love unconditionally is the greatest gift, laughter is a close second" .To give your time to help others after being helped here is the best way to show your appreciation to your fellow CAG members.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts. All my knowledge has been gained here, for which I'm very grateful. I'm a Journalist, not a law professional.

If you do PM, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private ;)

BB 13 - DCAs/banks and solicitors 0.

I get a fresh start to get on with learning to live with severe disabilities when they could have had something if they'd been understanding...

<--- If you feel I've helped, please twinkle my star :)

• 2 weeks later...

SD was set aside today. Unfortunately, due to problems with traffic in central London, I was late for my 15 minute slot and arrived after the judgment was made. I didn't get costs, which annoys me as I have had to go into town twice over this nonsense.

Oh well...at least the SD was set aside.

Connaught said they'd referred the matter back to 1st Credit, so is there something I should do now? I am now certain that the debt is statute barred, so it's not as if any of them can do a thing about it now - however, I don't want to have to keep dealing with this repeatedly when they sell it on to another DCA.

Cheers to everyone for their help!