'04 Renault Clio won't start

toonyank
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4531 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am new here so I hope I posted this in the right place.

My wife has a '04 Clio 1.2 Dynamic (40,000 miles) and last week has problems starting it. Kept cranking and cranking and nothing. Then I got home expecting a dead battery and one 5 second crank nothing then second crank started right up no probs after that for a week.

This morning a week later the same problem. The thing is with modern engines I haven't a clue where to look. There is plenty of crank amps and the battery seems very strong just no indication what could be wrong. It doesn't even think of firing. Also it wouldn't suprise me if I went home this afternoon and it starts like last week. If it starts and I take it to a garage with it running will they just look at me weird as if to say "what's the problem it's running" or will they have understood this sort of thing?

Just as a stab I asked a neighbor and he mantioned a problem that happened to him and he mentions the crankshaft sensor (or maybe he said sender) can't remember.

Well to make a short story long has anyone experienced this?

Any advice will be welcomed.

Greg

Intermittent faults can be the devil to find especially if they are not present when diagnosis is being attempted.

A garage will not look at you funny, but if it is running and starting ok at the time you take it, they may not be able to reproduce the fault.

Are we talking petrol or diesel?

Are we talking petrol or diesel?

Sorry it's a petrol one and thanks for the advice that's what I suspect as well. Sounds like it's mobile mechanic time if it doesn't start this afternoon.

Sorry it's a petrol one and thanks for the advice that's what I suspect as well. Sounds like it's mobile mechanic time if it doesn't start this afternoon.

Or a Renault dealer to interrogate the ECU for fault codes...

They won't all disappear when it starts - there will be a history file.

You could also try any Renault forums you can find - it may be a common problem.

• 1 year later...
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound dismissive - I was just trying help - honest gov

hi mate. i just came across this discussion online and i know its an old 1 but i was wondering if u could let me know what the problem ended up being and how u resolved it.im in an identical position with a very similar aged car and miles and ive had the starter motor replaced and something else done and still no joy.its completely intermittent but im worried it will let me down.hopefully this account is still live because it was an old conversation. if u do get this please let me know.

kind regards

Hello Dan and welcome.

When it fails to start, does it take a lot of cranking and will then start or wont it start at all that day?

When it is running, is it smooth with no misfires, coughs or sneezes?

Edited by Conniff

Do you hear a buzz/whiring noise from the car when you turn the ignition on? You should hear this for a few seconds especially when starting. It sounds initially like a fuel pressure problem. If you here the noise all the time or not at all when it's been standing overnight, I'd target that.

However you can't beat going back to basics. Get the ECU checked for fault codes first.

Hello Dan and welcome.

When it fails to start, does it take a lot of cranking and will then start or wont it start at all that day?

When it is running, is it smooth with no misfires, coughs or sneezes?

thank u 4 ur replies.much appreciated.mate it takes alot of cranking and then finally it goes but there is no reason 4 it. i can have it parked up all night and it fires 1st time in the am, no probs but then i can drive it for an hour, turn the engine off n then try and start the engine again and it dont want to know.sometimes it takes loads of cranking, sometimes just a few seconds.weird thing is once it starts it runs perfectly.its as if im by turning the engine off again its pot luck whether it wants to work.thanks 4ur help.dan

I think the odds on an ignition problem are slight so will still go for fueling at the moment. Ever lost power and it kicked in again? I've seen lift pumps stick before. A bad connection would cause all of what you describe then kick in and it would be random also. When was the fuel filter last changed?

I would go for a fuel problem as well. If you want to prove the point, get yourself a can of easystart and when it wont start, give it a spray up the air intake and see if it kicks into life or fires while burning the ether and then dies again.

• 2 years later...

I have the same problem with my 1.1 Clio 04. When I tried to start the car last night, I had the same problem. Tried it a few times and was then told by my friend I might have 'flooded the engine'. I left it overnight and tried again this morning. It sounded like it struggled but the engine rolled and I managed to get to work this morning and it ran fine. Not looking forward to it letting me down later on the way home. Is this a case for the garage?

Withuot fail this will be the CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR... the engine management doesn't know where the crankshaft is so it stops the plugs from sparking

About £70 for the part, about the same to fit.

renaults are well known for them.