Railway Station Carpark - CP Plus Limited

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5481 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

RichardM,

Thank for taking the time to reply.

I was aware that BTP could be come involved for breach of the railway byelaws.

They also have the power to be able to demand the ID of the driver from the registered keeper. One must then presume that he either put his hands up or gave them the name of the owner.

Not an option open to the PPC here. They could try and hand it to BTP, but I would think that their 'evidence' wouldn't stand up to criminal requirements of proof.

Fair Parking.

Don't confuse the issue by bringing in CP Plus's other non-railway business practices, which are, in this case irrelevent.

On the contrary. In this case, CP Plus appear to be acting (from the signs and the notice) as a PPC and not as agent for a railway company.

From what is said, this situation is a standard PPC one, not a railway byelaws situation.

I'll check the signs tonight; there is nothing on the charge notice.

Another question: My car is parked in this car park everyday. Is it realistic to ignore/resist many charge notices over time, or is that taking the mickey? Are there any examples of a PPC company changing tactics against a persistent "offender"?

Yes, there was a case on pepipoo several months ago about just this situation. The judge (only first instance mind) decided that as several notices had been issued that the driver had consented to the contract terms.

Surely you have a choice of various non-railway PPC car parks to play fun and games in?

as the PPC is (presumably) contracted to supply these services why would BTP even bother. Having a dog and barking yourself springs to mind.

One would hazard because breach of the byelaws is a criminal offence which BTP are duty bound to investigate following any credible report of such an offence taking place.

Unlike outside of the railway world, BTP can't say that it is nothing to do with them because it is de-criminalised enforcement - because it's not.

Court prosecution is the ultimate sanction here and it would be necessary for the PPC to go via BTP and thence the CPS. The PPC are unable to bring a criminal prosecution by themselves.

Hi all, new to this forum but on reading this thread felt compelled to join and share my recent experiences with a station car park incident!

I am a daily user of a car park on the National Express Eastern line, formerly One railways, before that Anglian Railways. This car park is now under the operational control of NCP and back in Nov 07 I recieved a PCN for parking in 'a non designated/restricted parking area'. The day in question I bought my rail ticket and parking ticket at the ticket office, not the pay & display machine - this is something that was always available until recently. Once I got into the car park it quickly became apparent that there was an issue, all bays were full (unusual) and cars parked in every available 'space' - at least 30 spaces had been taken up with building materials, causing the ensuing chaos. Luckily I found a reasonable 'space' I deemed to be an acceptable parking spot and got on my train.

After getting my PCN on return I ignored it and waited, after approx 2 months the first letter arrived from Roxburghe (well known to this forum) which I acknowledged as the car park does fall under transport byelaws. My response was that as I had paid there was a contractual obligation between us which they had failed to deliver, if the parking area was restircted how was it that I was able to purchase a ticket to park in it. I also observed that the area I parked in posed no obstruction and therefore questioned the validity of any consequential loss or damages. Further correpsondence ensued with increasing potential charges and the threat of court. At this point I passed to my lawyers who I am lucky enough to have on retention to my company (no real cost), they wrote a letter again outlining the above and low and behold the matter was dropped by NCP citing lack of visual evidence altough I know the guy that patrols the car park does use a camera!

Sorry the above is a bit long bit I hope it encourages others here to question spuerious demands for money, that day at least 30+ tickets were issued - how many just blindly paid out?....a good percentage I think.

:D

• 3 months later...

Hi

Can anybody help me?

I have today received a £80 Parking notice from CP Plus limited. I received this in shopping centre car park. The notice looks a little dodgy, claiming that if payment is not received that they will contact the DVLA to obtain my details. Can This company actually obtain these details... and if so, can they take me to court for payment?

You should start your own thread and read the stickies about private invoices.

You have just received an unenforceable invoice - private companies cannot issue financial penalties, only recoup actual losses. It's a [problem].

Do not pay

Do not contact them

They will go away after 5 or 6 threatening letters

Virtually anybody can pay £2.50 to the DVLA for the registered owner's address.

Out of thousands and thousands of these tickets given out, we see 2 or 3 court cases a year. No private company has won a properly defended case in court that we know of.

Chances of you going to court are smaller than winning the lottery. We don't know of any cases of CP Plus going to court over their unenforceable invoices.

Visited my local mainline Railway Station today, formerly run by GNER but now changed to a new company.

Parking signs have shot up faster than the grass on my lawn.

The signs shout about the railway regulations and what they can do with your car. This includes clamping, moving to another place, selling it at auction and charging you £70 if you fall foul of obstruction, parking out of the lines and not having a valid ticket etc.

I also met an old work mate who drives a Hackney Taxi from the Station.

He told me that every white taxi has to pay £35000 to be able to park at the station. He informed me that they did this at all the Stations from Edingburgh to London Kings X, and made millions

He tells me that all this new company want is money no matter how they can get it.

They have 2 parking attendents at this station and they are told to issue tickets come what may.

All we can look forward to is high train fares, higher taxi fares and more high car parking charges and thats rip off Britian for you.

This tells me that running safe clean, fast reliable trains is rather way down the list of thier priorites, and profit rules the roost.

• 7 months later...

Quick update: I sent a letter based on a template from this site ("As the keeper I deny that I am liable etc...") nearly a year ago and I have heard nothing since. Result.

Visited my local mainline Railway Station today, formerly run by GNER but now changed to a new company.

Parking signs have shot up faster than the grass on my lawn.

The signs shout about the railway regulations and what they can do with your car. This includes clamping, moving to another place, selling it at auction and charging you £70 if you fall foul of obstruction, parking out of the lines and not having a valid ticket etc.

I also met an old work mate who drives a Hackney Taxi from the Station.

He told me that every white taxi has to pay £35000 to be able to park at the station. He informed me that they did this at all the Stations from Edingburgh to London Kings X, and made millions

He tells me that all this new company want is money no matter how they can get it.

They have 2 parking attendents at this station and they are told to issue tickets come what may.

All we can look forward to is high train fares, higher taxi fares and more high car parking charges and thats rip off Britian for you.

This tells me that running safe clean, fast reliable trains is rather way down the list of thier priorites, and profit rules the roost.

Can't see the small print on the white sign too well, but there's always the chance these are phoney threats.

Until you get a ticket, hard to judge what will happen. I'd be impressed if this company actually put people in magistrates court.